Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS-F 'Braking Power Low'

Trying to start the GS-F - no joy.  Been sat idle for a long time and the Battery is dead.

Boosting from portable pack, the car has electrical juice, but if you attempt to start it, it reports 'Braking power low' and won't turn over.

My suspicion is that the electronics don't think the brake is depressed enough or it's just because the Battery is a goner.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Have you used the booster pack to successfully crank over the v8 before?

Do you have brake fluid in the reservoir?

How does the brake pedal feel, can you pump up it up?

It's not a hybrid so I presume it has a traditional vacuum powered brake servo with a hose that picks up from the manifold (looking a online pic's).  Is the hose connected, split?

Thanks for the help all.

Just to clarify, I'm only storing the car. It is being recovered from my garage by a third party company.

The third party company have spoken to Lexus, and they reckon it will be down to the Battery being toast. New Battery is being ordered.

I'll keep the thread updated.

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

Have you used the booster pack to successfully crank over the v8 before?

Yes

Do you have brake fluid in the reservoir?

Dunno - will check - but I suspect there will be

How does the brake pedal feel, can you pump up it up? Very firm now

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

It's not a hybrid so I presume it has a traditional vacuum powered brake servo with a hose that picks up from the manifold (looking a online pic's).  Is the hose connected, split?

Will check - but I doubt it.

Thanks for the suggestions

Ok. Another thing you can try just to give the Battery a bit if juice is put it on a trickle charger. Ctek etc. Another day wont harm giving it a charge over 24hours.

Jump pack I have used on my ISF in the past is the noco gb70. No issues at all. 

7 hours ago, Flytvr said:

Trying to start the GS-F - no joy.  Been sat idle for a long time and the battery is dead.

Boosting from portable pack, the car has electrical juice, but if you attempt to start it, it reports 'Braking power low' and won't turn over.

My suspicion is that the electronics don't think the brake is depressed enough or it's just because the battery is a goner.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dav,

there will be a cranking amp on the jumper box, same in Battery chargers, I purchased a Battery for a 5ltr car, I’d be surprised if it’s built for the job in hand.

can you not charge in situ?

i charge mine yearly for 12hrs in situ as it helps to preserve the Battery. 🤞🏻

2 hours ago, Womble72 said:

Dav,

there will be a cranking amp on the jumper box, same in battery chargers, I purchased a battery for a 5ltr car, I’d be surprised if it’s built for the job in hand.

can you not charge in situ?

i charge mine yearly for 12hrs in situ as it helps to preserve the battery. 🤞🏻

Thanks Paul

I tried trickle charging, but the charger reports a fault on the Battery. I think it's just had it. I've just removed it from the car. The collection company is bringing a new Battery for it on the weekend. Fingers crossed!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flytvr said:

Thanks Paul

I tried trickle charging, but the charger reports a fault on the battery. I think it's just had it. I've just removed it from the car. The collection company is bringing a new battery for it on the weekend. Fingers crossed!!!

No chance with a trickle charge, they’re designed to maintain the charge that the Battery has, chances are it just needs a FULL mains charge with a suitable charger, the Battery should be fine just extremely flat.....I honestly don’t think a new Battery is required, an expense that’s probably avoidable......🤞🏻They respect the man and the reasons behind what’s required. Hope all goes well

Just now, Womble72 said:

No chance with a trickle charge, they’re designed to maintain the charge that the battery has, chances are it just needs a FULL mains charge with a suitable charger, the battery should be fine just extremely flat.....I honestly don’t think a new battery is required, an expense that’s probably avoidable......🤞🏻They respect the man and the reasons behind what’s required. Hope all goes well

I trust in what you are saying Paul - thanks. 

This is what I have - https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-Batteries/dp/B00DW6RHN2/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=battery+charger+car&qid=1580328448&sr=8-6

As it's not my car, I'll leave it to the collection company to do what they think is best.

• Like 1

I've had a few Battery issues with my gs f, with the Battery going flat in airport car park whilst on holiday. Couldn't get rid of all the warning lights on the dash so the car was recovered to lexus bolton. The car only does about 4k miles a year so use a Battery conditioner on it whilst parked on drive.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

I trust in what you are saying Paul - thanks. 

This is what I have - https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Battery-Charger-Maintainer-Batteries/dp/B00DW6RHN2/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=battery+charger+car&qid=1580328448&sr=8-6

As it's not my car, I'll leave it to the collection company to do what they think is best.

Dav,

that’s a good unit as a whole, the problem is the soft charge cycle, the Battery will be to flat to be lifted and if there was any chance you’d be looking at around 100 hrs of charge time, very good unit to prime and trickle a Battery though, hope it all goes well with it 👍🏻

18 minutes ago, EvoStevo said:

I've had a few battery issues with my gs f, with the battery going flat in airport car park whilst on holiday. Couldn't get rid of all the warning lights on the dash so the car was recovered to lexus bolton. The car only does about 4k miles a year so use a battery conditioner on it whilst parked on drive.

Probably the same sort of millage as mine yearly, I charge mine every winter time in situ for 12 hours (mains Battery charger) as it’s winter time that will kill a Battery off, when driven it normally does well above the six miles required before an alternator will start a charging process (normally over 100 to my daughters uni or the same to the mother-in-laws).......mine doesn’t really get any short trips as she’s not my daily. My bike is on trickle charge all through the winter months locked away in the garage.......I need a bigger garage BUT the wife is having none of it 😢