Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello,

Please could I bother you lucky LS owners to share some of your wisdom. I’m driving an IS250 SE-L (2007) from new. It hasn’t missed a beat in my 123000 miles. However, as our growing sons won’t all fit in at the same time I need a bigger version of what I have. I have always admired the subtle majesty of the LS and found this model

https://www.robinsonsmotorgroup.co.uk/auto-devotion/used-cars/11023220-lexus-ls-460-se-l/#

What would your thoughts be about what a new entrant to the LS market should look for if/when I go for a look and test drive?

Thank you in anticipation

Pete

A member of the LOC was advertising his earlier this week for a similar price, I'd be doing a search to see if it's still available (if you don't mind a black one) to me it looked a great buy.

Hi Pete

That looks a god one and does stand out from the rest - hopefully it does have FSH - I think the only option missing is heated steering wheel.

At that sort of price I would be inclined to get lexus to do a health check and make sure nothing is amiss underneath - being a heavy car suspension components need to be looked at.

Also remember is in the higher tax bracket circa £500 pa

Silver colour is very easy to keep clean and ages well.

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

A member of the LOC was advertising his earlier this week for a similar price, I'd be doing a search to see if it's still available (if you don't mind a black one) to me it looked a great buy.

Agreed. It's in the For Sale section here, on Car & Classic and is currently owned by a marque enthusiast. Looks lovely, it's lower mileage irc, has full Lexus history and you're not paying the typical dealer mark up.

The dealer one is a 

08 Plate with 87k miles for £8990

The private one is

56 Plate with 57k miles for £8495 ono

I suppose it boils down personal preference - my choice would be the dealer one because of colour combo

If you are looking for a 460, then Somerset has to be on your radar to look at the LOC member car.

I would say that it is a good idea to try one or two before you settle on the one that takes your fancy, and maybe get yourself up to Norwich ASAP just ot get a feel, it will give you something to benchmark against.

Best of luck, and if I had a spare £9K in my pocket I would be beating a path for a test drive, but a new roof and other projects have call on my cash at the moment

I’m really grateful for the wise words of those that know. Please keep it coming if there are more of you wishing to contribute. Can’t have too much info. Mind you, I may not sleep!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update for those that may be interested.

Unfortunately I didn’t get to Somerset quick enough to prevent some other lucky person buying the 460 Paul advertised here and elsewhere. 100% my fault for not acting swiftly enough - procrastination🙄. Congratulations to Paul for the swift sale of what definitely looked like a very fine example of a 460.

Meantime, I’ve researched both the Norwich and Essex examples, which remain for sale, but have different issues that cause (picky) me some concern/reason for caution. Therefore, I am (for now at least) pausing on those two specific cars. Nevertheless, my search continues and if a member happens upon any information about a spectacular example of a UK LS 460 (<50k miles ideally) with FLSH coming to open market then I’d be extremely interested to hear about it.

Thanks again to all of you who responded to my original post and for your thoughts and wise words of advice all of which have been duly noted.

PeteTP

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just to throw this out there to the wise and experienced membership.

May I canvass you’re opinion as to whether this this a ‘yes’, ‘no’ or best politely declined?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/lexus-ls460-ls-460-se-l-automatic/1365896253?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Have already benefitted from the prudent thoughts of a an earlier participant on this thread...sensible chap he is too....but thought that no survey of feelings can be too large. All responses gratefully received.

Thank you to the kind folk of the LOC for ‘holding my hand‘ as I scratch this itch!!

PeteTP  

3 minutes ago, PeteTP said:

Just to throw this out there to the wise and experienced membership.

May I canvass you’re opinion as to whether this this a ‘yes’, ‘no’ or best politely declined?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/lexus-ls460-ls-460-se-l-automatic/1365896253?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Have already benefitted from the prudent thoughts of a an earlier participant on this thread...sensible chap he is too....but thought that no survey of feelings can be too large. All responses gratefully received.

Thank you to the kind folk of the LOC for ‘holding my hand‘ as I scratch this itch!!

PeteTP  

I'm confused now.  You say you're looking for one with around 50k and pristine but this has 173k.  

Very sorry for the contradiction and confusion that causes.

Yes, you’re absolutely right on that. But the 50k mile diamond is turning out to be akin to the search for Lord Lucan. Therefore, by way of (extreme) comparison, I thought I’d just raise the idea with the membership or at least those that may wish to give their 2p worth.

PeteTP

24 minutes ago, PeteTP said:

Very sorry for the contradiction and confusion that causes.

Yes, you’re absolutely right on that. But the 50k mile diamond is turning out to be akin to the search for Lord Lucan. Therefore, by way of (extreme) comparison, I thought I’d just raise the idea with the membership or at least those that may wish to give their 2p worth.

PeteTP

Personally I would wait for one with much lower mileage, they do come along.  And just out of interest, I'm sure I saw Lord Lucan in our local Tesco last year!

Thank you The-acre for your advice in which you’re not alone.  It is also where my own mental swingometer is pointing. No harm nevertheless in a healthy debate.

Regarding his Lordship, maybe law enforcement might be interested.....every little helps😉.

PeteTP

And is if you knew it would happen...... this dealer sent me this puppy for consideration a short time ago.

Ridiculous to the sublime?

Mileage ✔️ Price 🥴 and a gap of a year where no MoT was carried out. Have asked the question but thus far no reason forthcoming.

Thoughts/wisdom of you kind members please if I may? TVM.

PeteTP

Aha! Good point well made John. I’m not referred to as they village idiot’ for nothing you know 🙄.

Right then, the link below refers:

https://www.twelvelondonroad.co.uk/used-lexus-ls-bagshott-surrey-2680393

Sorry for not having added the link first time round. Anyway, all comments, advice and guidance for this LS newbie gratefully received.

TVM in anticipation.

PeteTP

Paul, I have an '07 460 which I have owned for 8 years.  The mileage is, now, 105,000 and the car has been virtually trouble-free. If there is anything you want to ask, feel free.

• Like 1

Hi Tulpen,

TVM for your offer. Have you sustained any rad/transmission contamination problems? If so what sort of budget is required to sort it? Air suspension behaved itself?

To add to the expensive ‘13 plate above I’ve just discovered this one which I’m trying to get more info on:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201912285636912?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=ip313nn&model=LS 460&page=1&aggregatedTrim=SE-L&make=LEXUS&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&modal=photos

As I’ve previously said, everybody is welcome to comment on these 2 examples good, bad or otherwise.

Thnx in advance to you all.

PeteTP

2 hours ago, PeteTP said:

TVM for your offer. Have you sustained any rad/transmission contamination problems? If so what sort of budget is required to sort it? Air suspension behaved itself?

I had the radiator changed at 100.000 miles, as a precaution. There are lots of posts on the forum about radiators failing on the 430/460/600 range, I decided on prevention rather than cure. I had the work done at my local Lexus dealer, here in Holland.

I've had absolutely no problems with the air suspension. Once a month, I run the system through all it's different modes just to check it out. However, I don't have to drive on those awful UK roads.

As far as the '13 plate goes...…….it's a great car but I think ALL of the latest Lexus range (and other car marques) have an Achilles heel. When my car was in for it's last service, they gave me an ES300 as a loaner. Nice car, but selecting anything via the scratch pad is a PIA. No wonder they fit  Lane Keeping, Distance Keeping, Auto Braking, All-Round Cameras etc - it's to stop you hitting anything while your trying to make a selection.

Or, maybe, I'm just getting old!