Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cat thefts affecting LS models?

Catalyst metals are not consumed or permanently altered by use, so makes no difference whether hybrid or not.

Unfortunately the scum that steal these things don't know this and believe what the press tell them..

• Like 1

The cars targeted are generally due to ease of access to the cats themselves. It doesn't matter how low or high your car is or how good, bad, small or large is the cat. For this reason scum targets certain cars where they know they can lift the car and fit either angle grinder or saw to cut-it off. I noticed that most affected cars are older minivans/hatchbacks with single cat in the middle of the floor like Toyota Previa or Corrola - big single cat in easily accessible central location.

For example something like V6/V8 IS or GS are less affected because they have 4 small cats on 2 different pipes and upper to are very hard to reach - scum have no time to cut 4 cats out and play around. If you ever see the video - they spend maybe ~1 minute on the job, strong hydraulic lift, gets under the car - 2 cuts for maybe 15s each and they running away.

Looking at the pictures of RX I can see why they are popular - again one big cat in central location, car is high so no need to really "tuck-it in":

Image result for lexus rx 350 undercarriage"

Compare that to LS, and I think LS is less likely - 2 cats which are harder to reach:

Image result for lexus LS undercarriage"

However, you never know - scums like these are always opportunistic and if it means in 2 minutes they can have 2 cats instead of 1 in 1 minutes... I think they will try. Ease of access is just one of the criteria... 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

"Thief crushed to death by car while trying to steal catalytic converter ..."

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18197902.thief-crushed-death-car-trying-steal-catalytic-converter/

This is probably crue to say, but I am almost happy about it... I would call police if I see such thing happening, but I would not help for sure... and knowing police always takes 5 hours to respond (that is unless you made offensive tweet) - it would have same results.

On the 430 there are 3 CATs. One each side that bolts to the headers and the Y-pipe, and one in the middle of the Y-pipe just after the 2 sides join.
The Y-pipe looks like this and the CAT is boxy bit. The Y-pipe is all one piece and is stainless but would be a bitch to remove at the side of the road.
lexus_ls430_2001_exhaust_pipe_273873_01.

Getting at the other 2 CATs would require removal of the Y-pipe, so I think you're safe, unless you park over an inspection pit,... and they use angle-grinders. 😀

You are right about the older Honda Jazz being targeted, my daughters' 2004 car was parked outside her house over night. She didn't know a thing until it sounded like a tractor when she started it up in the morning. She phoned the police who gave her a crime report number! It cost us about £500 in the end.

A close neighbor of mine had a similar car so I spoke to her to warn her. "Oh mine was stolen from the shopping center car park in broad daylight last week" she said!

The garage we took my daughters' car too said they had just replaced the cats on a dozen Mercedes Sprinter Vans that had been parked in the yard at a local transport firm. They were all taken in one night and cost over £1,000 each.

This is all in a small area of North Manchester,so how big a national problem is it?

It could help if there were a few police men with some spare time!

John N

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Just read that from 2015 the Jazz had the Cat in the engine bay, that will slow down the little b*stards.

That is good news, thank you, I didn’t know that, the wife’s is a 2018 so hopefully ok then.

• 2 years later...

Reviving this thread as it's relevant. We had our cats taken from an LS600hL recently. You could actually hear the V8 which was nice, although the gearbox let's down the sporty sounds!  Lexus say they haven't heard of this car being targeted before it's usually the CT. Beware it's a growing issue. Be careful out there! Also £1800 plus vat plus gaskets for OEM replacement....we went down the sports cat route! 

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, YN57OCK said:

Reviving this thread as it's relevant. We had our cats taken from an LS600hL recently. You could actually hear the V8 which was nice, although the gearbox let's down the sporty sounds!  Lexus say they haven't heard of this car being targeted before it's usually the CT. Beware it's a growing issue. Be careful out there! Also £1800 plus vat plus gaskets for OEM replacement....we went down the sports cat route! 

That sucks. Must have been the secondary CATs they nicked as the primaries are welded to the headers.
As the metals used in CATs get rarer, the more they get nicked. Unscrupulous scrap merchants are making a fortune out of this.
It's not like they can be sold as a used part after they have been cut out of the exhaust, so they must be being recycled.
I get the impression that there just isn't the will to deal with this issue, like so many others out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBoomer said:

Unscrupulous scrap merchants are making a fortune out of this.

Legislation was introduced several years ago to prevent this, so either the Police or Trading Standards are not enforcing this.

If there was no market to sell stolen Cats (or other stolen metalwork) then the demand for thefts would naturally go down.

• Like 3

• 10 months later...
On 10/4/2022 at 7:53 AM, YN57OCK said:

Same thing has happened again. This time whilst we were out and about at the cinema. Started the car again to hear the V8….buggers…..Think it’s time to sell and unfortunately another reminder as to why people can’t have nice things anymore. 

• Sad 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links