Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS 300h

Hi guys 

just wondered if anyone was in my situation... I’m thinking of getting a 2016 300h executive model, 69500 miles at £14000... 

im in heavy traffic most mornings on a 14 mile commute, takes around 45 minutes to get into work, 30 minutes on the way home.I do around 7000 miles per year.

Is this the car for me?

i intend to keep the car around 10 years or more.

currently driving a 05 diesel focus-scrap!

cheers

Dee

4 minutes ago, Dm1 said:

Hi guys 

just wondered if anyone was in my situation... I’m thinking of getting a 2016 300h executive model, 69500 miles at £14000... 

im in heavy traffic most mornings on a 14 mile commute, takes around 45 minutes to get into work, 30 minutes on the way home.I do around 7000 miles per year.

Is this the car for me?

i intend to keep the car around 10 years or more.

currently driving a 05 diesel focus-scrap!

cheers

Dee

Absolutely - the IS 300h is the most stress free way to do that sort of commute and will deliver good fuel economy for that mix of driving - should get mid to high 40's mpg. 

• Thanks 1

Hello and welcome.

The first thing that struck me about your question was the vehicle that you are interested in, it strikes me as being a lot of money for a car that has done that much mileage. I have a 2014 SE that had 58,000 miles on the clock when I bought it and I only paid £13500 for it

Will it be the right car for you? My personal belief is that on a fuel Economy level you will be no better or worse off than the focus, where you will gain in a small way is the difference in price between petrol and diesel

Have you considered the CT 200 H? It’s a 1.8 rather 2.5 and make give you the edge on fuel economy as well as being a slightly cheaper vehicle to buy initially.

That said, either of them will easily give you more than 10 years service without any major problems so long as they are serviced regularly

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

I believe that either the IS or the CTH would be suitable for you. You really must drive one first as the Electronic CVT Gearbox will be different to anything you have driven  before.

If either of the above cars is as quiet as mine then, like me, you can listen to Classical music whilst in slow moving traffic. Solace indeed !

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jayw13702 said:

Hello and welcome.

The first thing that struck me about your question was the vehicle that you are interested in, it strikes me as being a lot of money for a car that has done that much mileage. I have a 2014 SE that had 58,000 miles on the clock when I bought it and I only paid £13500 for it

Will it be the right car for you? My personal belief is that on a fuel Economy level you will be no better or worse off than the focus, where you will gain in a small way is the difference in price between petrol and diesel

Have you considered the CT 200 H? It’s a 1.8 rather 2.5 and make give you the edge on fuel economy as well as being a slightly cheaper vehicle to buy initially.

That said, either of them will easily give you more than 10 years service without any major problems so long as they are serviced regularly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I have observed used prices of IS 300h seem to be very strong - bought mine just over 3 years ago when it was two years old with 40k miles - now has 86k miles. Depreciation in that period has been very little when looking at cars similar to mine (age/mileage) at Lexus dealerships. 

• Thanks 1

Like my wife drives the IS300H daily to work and she loves it. Quiet, very comfortable and a joy to drive to take the stress off traffic.  That said CT200 would be equally suitable with a better fuel economy but we bought the IS300, used one, for the room in the car and in the boot.  it averages around 38mpg in winter and 45 mpg in summer. 

• Thanks 1

Hybrids are primarily for city driving and are good in traffic, if you don't want anything else from the car.. then it is perfect. As above, even CT200h seems like a good option.

• Thanks 1

Like everyone has said, buy it you won't regret it. In point of fact you will wished you had done it age's ago! Bought mine last year and it has been the most pleasant driving experience ever despite sitting in traffic for 70% of my 25 mile commute.... According to my dash I have averaged 50.3 mpg. Have been getting high 50's in the summer.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For your pattern of driving and annual mileage I would say it is ideal.  Quiet, very comfortable (best ever my wife says) and roomy enough for most trips.  Also don't overlook the warranty, available up to 10 years and 140,000 miles.  Although it costs (currently) £400 annually it does give peace of mind and it covers Europe travel.  Price of car seems a little high. You could possibly do better by hunting around.  But stick to Lexus dealers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cannot understand why people question the CVT gearbox, I find it to be faultless and if anything, better than a conventional automatic. I've given at least four people who are dedicated Subaru, BMW and Audi owners a demo in my IS300h over the last month and all of them have been impressed, if not astounded to say the least. 

My only advice would be to drive the IS and the CT before deciding as they are very different beasts, but I would place money on you opting for the IS even if it does cost a few quid a month more to run. 

To me, it's the only car I've ever owned that constantly amazes me, the engineering is superb, it feels like you're driving a nuclear bunker. I actually look forward to driving it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

I cannot understand why people question the CVT gearbox, I find it to be faultless and if anything, better than a conventional automatic. I've given at least four people who are dedicated Subaru, BMW and Audi owners a demo in my IS300h over the last month and all of them have been impressed, if not astounded to say the least. 

My only advice would be to drive the IS and the CT before deciding as they are very different beasts, but I would place money on you opting for the IS even if it does cost a few quid a month more to run. 

To me, it's the only car I've ever owned that constantly amazes me, the engineering is superb, it feels like you're driving a nuclear bunker. I actually look forward to driving it.

Then you`ve not driven the GS450h Paul. Be prepared to be amazed !

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

I've driven many auto's from old to new. Conventional auto asm auto power shift auto dsg auto cvt in many brands and to be honest I can't understand why people talk poorly of the auto in the 300h. In my experience it's fantastic. 

By far the smoothest box I've ever known, witch is why you want auto in the first place! 

22 minutes ago, Shada said:

By far the smoothest box I've ever known, witch is why you want auto in the first place! 

I had to give mine full beans for the first time today. Joining a dual carriageway with dawdlers in front, there was space to go straight out into the safety of the outside lane. In my IS250, I'd have had to kick it down and wait for the gearbox to sort itself out, but I just squashed the rightmost pedal into the carpet and whoosh - off it went. No drama, nothing. Just, as Mr Clarkson would say, "POWER!" I was impressed. Yes the CVT full chat engine noise does take a bit of getting used to, but the acceleration is rapid - and silky smooth - enough. Was I really doing 85mph in such a short space of time? No Officer, I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing. I've been on a speed awareness course you know (and trying to be very, very good for the next three years...)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mincey said:

I had to give mine full beans for the first time today. Joining a dual carriageway with dawdlers in front, there was space to go straight out into the safety of the outside lane. In my IS250, I'd have had to kick it down and wait for the gearbox to sort itself out, but I just squashed the rightmost pedal into the carpet and whoosh - off it went. No drama, nothing. Just, as Mr Clarkson would say, "POWER!" I was impressed. Yes the CVT full chat engine noise does take a bit of getting used to, but the acceleration is rapid - and silky smooth - enough. Was I really doing 85mph in such a short space of time? No Officer, I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing. I've been on a speed awareness course you know (and trying to be very, very good for the next three years...)

Im not a petrol head honestly! Sure its a hybrid ffs! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shada said:

Im not a petrol head honestly! Sure its a hybrid ffs! 

it is the IS300h shada, mincey was comparing the IS300h transmission to his old IS250 transmission

7 minutes ago, 200h said:

it is the IS300h shada, mincey was comparing the IS300h transmission to his old IS250 transmission

It was an alternative and well reasoned excuse to the plod. Who would blast around at Audi/BMW plus speeds in an innocent little Lexus Hybrid?.

5 minutes ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

It was an alternative and well reasoned excuse to the plod. Who would blast around at Audi/BMW plus speeds in an innocent little Lexus Hybrid?.

Exactly. Wise words my friend!

1 minute ago, Mincey said:

Exactly. Wise words my friend!

My father was a traffic cop. He always said the least likely pull would be the quiet car. He also told me that the favourite place for a mobile speed camera is after a long straight on a left hand bend. 

1 minute ago, Paul Brooksbank said:

My father was a traffic cop. He always said the least likely pull would be the quiet car. He also told me that the favourite place for a mobile speed camera is after a long straight on a left hand bend. 

"the favourite place for a mobile speed camera is after a long straight on a left hand bend. " - that's exactly where I was caught. It was the fairest of fair cops though, and an expensive lesson to learn. 

21 hours ago, Mincey said:

"the favourite place for a mobile speed camera is after a long straight on a left hand bend. " - that's exactly where I was caught. It was the fairest of fair cops though, and an expensive lesson to learn. 

Feel for you mate. Another tip he gave me was when driving at night, as you can only see a set of headlights behind you, don't accelerate as you can't see what type of car it is our any markings. Wait for it to overtake you before you speed up. And if you get caught by a fixed camera, you're stupid because they're all sign posted ! 

• Like 2

On 2/13/2020 at 10:31 AM, MONTIMAR said:

A brilliant, reliable stress free car. You will not be disapointed.

Exactly. I deal with 75 staff plus awkward union reps, I get into my ISh and my heart rate goes all normal, even in heavy traffic. I also find myself looking down on BMW and Mercedes drivers, even to the point of feeling sorry for them!