Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

UX courtesy car

Had one yesterday while my wife's RX was in for a service - fancied seeing how it compared to my IS300h. Nice car, nippy and pretty economical ( I averaged 46mpg) and obviously more of an updated interior than my IS. Fine for me size wise even at 6ft 4 but obviously limits the rear legroom which would be an issue taking my son and his pals to rugby. I knew the boot would be small and I wasn't disappointed! Not sure I'll be buying one just yet but wouldn't rule it out in the future.

• Like 5

My only issue with the UX, like you having had one as a loan car, is the price. In order to get AWD and a decent spec it goes over the £40k threshold. When compared with the equivalent (albeit non-hybrid) Mazda offering - to name but one example - it just doesn't seem like good value. Indeed, last time I was at Lexus Swindon, the NX in the showroom was cheaper than the UX next to it!

• Like 1

Totally agree - they had a few used NXs for sale and they looked lovely but the UX still seems more on trend or 'urban' as the receptionist at the dealership described it. Must say I'm not too bothered about either of those things but if it was my money and I was looking at SUV stuff I'd probably veer more towards or a CRV or RAV 4 or even a CHR which I believe has the same engine now as the Ux but I'm sure will be better value for money and a bit more practical too.

On 2/2/2020 at 9:16 AM, First_Lexus said:

My only issue with the UX, like you having had one as a loan car, is the price. In order to get AWD and a decent spec it goes over the £40k threshold. 

This was discussed when the UX pricing was first announced. Lexus replied that all models of the UX qualified for the lower VED. I couldn't see it myself as I can add up.

I also had one recently as a courtesy car when my RX went in for service. Was pretty pleased with it, handled better than i thought it would whilst retaining a lot of comfort. 

I think people are getting hung up too much on the £40k list price.

Pretty much all cars are on lease nowadays and its built into the monthly payments. Additionally, the competition are similiarly priced anyway 

3 hours ago, rayaans said:

I also had one recently as a courtesy car when my RX went in for service. Was pretty pleased with it, handled better than i thought it would whilst retaining a lot of comfort. 

I think people are getting hung up too much on the £40k list price.

Pretty much all cars are on lease nowadays and its built into the monthly payments. Additionally, the competition are similiarly priced anyway 

As far as I can see, in 2017 over 80% of new cars were bought on PCP deals where the road tax is an issue, although I agree buyers should build this in to their calculations. The number of cars bought on PCPs may have dropped slightly - I can't find accurate figures at this point - but I don't think it isn't true to say that "pretty much all cars" are bought on lease, unless you include PCPs.

As for the competition, a comparable sized and better specified Mazda with AWD can be bought for £35k before discounts. 

I really liked the UX (apart from the plasticky door trims) but can't get my head around paying over £40k when my NX Luxury was only £37k list.

3 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

As for the competition, a comparable sized and better specified Mazda with AWD can be bought for £35k before discounts.

Lexus doesn't compete with Mazda, certainly not in their eyes. The Toyota C-HR is more of a direct comparison.

• Like 1

When I made my recent purchase of a UX Takumi I looked at an NX Takumi. The NX didn't give much change from £49k pre discount when paint and delivery were added in.

I liked the NX but it was just too big for my purposes. The UX is perfect for me and I just love the vehicle - my first Lexus.

I have learned from a past mistake that getting a vehicle that fits needs can be more important than price. I had a Mazda CX5 and felt it was a fantastic vehicle but because of it's size and my needs I had to fit myself to the car whereas the UX fits around me.

When reading/viewing reviews of the UX common complaints were infotainment interaction, cramped rear space and small boot. I find the infotainment system just fine, don't carry rear passengers and never have large loads to carry/tow so I'm left to enjoy all the good points of the car. However, if a more practical family car is required the NX would look great - apart from it's cost when compared to a CX5.

Before looking at the UX I looked at the Audi Q2 and Q3, BMW X1, and Volvo XC40. Once all the bells and whistles are added the price of the UX seemed to be in the same ballpark so it came down to preference.

On 2/7/2020 at 5:37 PM, First_Lexus said:

As far as I can see, in 2017 over 80% of new cars were bought on PCP deals where the road tax is an issue, although I agree buyers should build this in to their calculations. The number of cars bought on PCPs may have dropped slightly - I can't find accurate figures at this point - but I don't think it isn't true to say that "pretty much all cars" are bought on lease, unless you include PCPs.

I really liked the UX (apart from the plasticky door trims) but can't get my head around paying over £40k when my NX Luxury was only £37k list.

On most deals they appear to be built into the monthly payments though

For example the NX300h F-Sport Takumi Pack/Panroof deal is £4263 + 47 x 453.70 inc vat. Road tax is fully included. 

18 hours ago, rayaans said:

On most deals they appear to be built into the monthly payments though

For example the NX300h F-Sport Takumi Pack/Panroof deal is £4263 + 47 x 453.70 inc vat. Road tax is fully included. 

^^ I guess so, although when it needs to be taxed over the first three years the bill will still be a shock and will need to be paid by the owner.

As much as I love my NX, I do wonder whether the price premium for a Lexus - or any premium brand - is really worth it over (say) a Mazda or even a Suzuki Vitara. After discounts, a top spec 1.4 AWD Vitara is only £21k, and should be pretty reliable even if it doesn't have the solid feel of a Lexus. That's almost half the price of the UX Takumi!

It won't make much difference to me as I'm planning to keep my NX for a number of years. It's all about priorities.

42 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ I guess so, although when it needs to be taxed over the first three years the bill will still be a shock and will need to be paid by the owner.

As much as I love my NX, I do wonder whether the price premium for a Lexus - or any premium brand - is really worth it over (say) a Mazda or even a Suzuki Vitara. After discounts, a top spec 1.4 AWD Vitara is only £21k, and should be pretty reliable even if it doesn't have the solid feel of a Lexus. That's almost half the price of the UX Takumi!

It won't make much difference to me as I'm planning to keep my NX for a number of years. It's all about priorities.

Road tax will be in the 5th year on that particular plan so will be £450. From year 6 that will no longer apply and itll pay the £140 or however much the standard rate is.

I suppose you could say that for anything though. Is £120 on a bottle of Aventus Creed worth it compared to another fragrance at £40-50? 

Sorry @rayaansI mis-understood your figures. Have just realised they were for lease rather than PCP, hence tax included in the price.

Yes, you're right - it is about priorities. Most people have to make choices based on income and/or wealth. It's a bit like people who say they can't afford the dentist but then choose to pay for SKY TV or foreign holidays! Personally I'd never wear any sort of fragrance or jewellery, but do like eating at nice restaurants. Everybody is different.

The issue for me is that the list price bears no resemblance to what the car is actually worth .

Its inflated to cater for those buying on finance who only really care about the monthly payments. 

My car was 3 months old, had sat outside a dealer doing nothing and I paid £17K off list at £29K but still have the luxury tax for 5 years.

Regarding the UX, I chucked it into my carwow library last year and actually got an e mail from a dealer stating that Lexus were refusing to let UK dealers sell new vehicles at less than list.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 8:59 PM, doog442 said:

Regarding the UX, I chucked it into my carwow library last year and actually got an e mail from a dealer stating that Lexus were refusing to let UK dealers sell new vehicles at less than list.   

I’m pleased to report that that situation doesn’t exist any more.  I was offered over 8% off a UX from a large London dealer, as well as the £1,000 hybrid deposit contribution and 3.9% APR. 

I too got a good deal on my UX. Carwow gave a mixed response - some dealers gave discount, some didn't.

I think the bigger issue with the UX is whether it suits your purpose. Room in the rear seats and boot is limited so it isn't geared towards the type of driver who may need something like an NX for adult passengers and holiday luggage for a family.

Noted in the NX forum that I liked the UX, having had one as a loan car, but thought (as someone who prefers cash to PCP/lease) that it was poor VFM. However a quick look at the Audi configurator shows a Takumi-equivalent spec Q3 at around £44k. It may be that, for cash purchasers at least, this size of compact SUV from premium manufacturers just looks expensive compared with the next size up (in these cases NX or Q5).  You really have to want the compact format!

• 5 months later...

I collected my ex-demo UX250h a couple of weeks ago, and will quite happily admit that I paid a lot of money for a car that, functionally, is comparable to many far cheaper cars. I bartered hard and got a really good deal in my 10-month-old F-Sport model with a few extra bells and whistles, and saved roughly £6k over a new car as a result.

The reason I didn't go for something cheaper was as follows:

a) I really wanted the latest Toyota/Lexus hybrid automatic system.

b) I really wanted something with an extremely premium feel and interior

c) I really wanted something that would, in theory, be totally reliable for at least ten years

d) I wanted to buy from a band where I could count on good customer service from my dealer

Now, your mileage may/will vary, but there are very few brands that can match any of those requirements, never mind all of them. Maybe I've just had a lot of bad luck, but the German luxury brands don't seem to build cars that still work after three years, and Volvo isn't much better. Customer service matters to me, but it may not to you, and again - only Mazda and Lexus have ever impressed me in that regard.

As to why the UX over something else? I actually went in with the intention of buying an IS300h, but found that both the drivetrain and interior were rather dated, whereas the UX is bang up-to-date with their latest interiors and 4th gen hybrid system. The NX and RX are very cool, but I don't want or need a large car - I'm coming from an MX-5, so this thing is like a tank to me. The back seats are for occasional use only, and I'm used to packing two weeks' worth of clothes in a backpack, so the tiny UX boot seems just fine for my purposes. Finally, I did consider the CT200h as well, but again - it's an old car, old technology, and performance is very poor. My UX can hold its own on a twisty road when driven smoothly, yet is comfortable and relaxing when commuting or cruising on the motorway.

People like me are fortunate enough and willing to be able to pay more for that "experience" above and beyond the technical capabilities of a vehicle, and that's what Lexus are counting on.

Nick

• Like 3

Had one as a courtesy car earlier this month when my RC300h Luxury was in for service. 

Don't know what spec it was, but to me it seemed just like an average Toyota. Plastics that would scratch too easily and very flimsy trim. Also no extra room inside. Boot certainly smaller than the coupe, and less knee room in the rear as well. I do appreciate mine is a lot more awkward to get into, and only seats 2 instead of 3. As previously mentioned, the UX is nowhere useful as a family vehicle, and I just don't see the point of it.

My RC is of the lowest spec in that range, but in terms of luxury, streaks ahead of the loan car we had.

Why oh why don't Lexus make an estate version of the IS or ES to compete with the 5 or E series competition. If they did, I'd have one in an instant, and I'm positive many others would also.

I'm sure you're right; and the RC is an absolutely gorgeous flagship. But speaking as someone who's previous car was a 2002 MX5 that impressed him because it has heated leather seats, the UX is a revelation. Sure, there are a few more hard plastic trim pieces than I'd like, but the RC is a significantly more expensive and heavier car. I was cross-shopping it against a C-HR, which is effectively the Toyota alternative, and I do think the UX is a step up in terms of perceived quality.

Sorry EvilRacer329, didn't mean to belittle your car or choice.

I guess at the age of 66 I come from the era when you had a sports car when single, saloon when married, an estate when the kids came along, and a Coupé when retired to cruise across continents!

Oh, and if a farmer a 4 x 4.

Just don't understand these SUV's!!

• Like 1

It's alright, no offence taken! 🙂

From my perspective, the UX is just a slightly chunkier hatchback for when I want to travel in comfort. That seems to be the way most of them are used, although I agree that an estate is a classier way to haul a lot of stuff if you need to than a large SUV. The rest of the time I ride motorcycles, so I probably don't fit into any normal demographic. 😉

Nick

In reading this blog from the beginning, much has been made of the high list price and otr cost of the UX Takumi, versus the competition. It is true that most vehicles are leased or pcp’d today so it is the monthly amount that matters, but they all rely on high residual values and I do think that is where Lexus score well against the competition. You cannot simply compare price alone without taking into account the total cost of ownership after say 4 years.

As much as we'd like to believe that a car is a purely rational purchase based on financial values and long-term planning, if that were really true we'd all be driving Fiat Pandas or something. I would never have considered a vehicle from the German manufacturers because long-term reliability is no longer a priority for those brands. I also wanted the latest-generation hybrid system, as we're not quite there with electrics yet. Running costs attracted me as well, especially compared to my last car which was so thirsty I avoided using it. But I'm also logically aware of all of the shortcomings, the areas where other manufacturers provide more attractive offerings:

a) Outright performance

b) Interior/cargo space

c) Cost

d) High-speed fuel economy

e) Infotainment

Ultimately, my decision was weighted towards the aspects that appealed to me, both logically and emotionally. I had to be able to justify the purchase to myself certainly, but I also had to *want* the car I chose.

Aren't cars fun? 😄

Nick

• Like 1

On 22 July 2020 at 1:40 PM, EvilRacer329 said:

I collected my ex-demo UX250h a couple of weeks ago, and will quite happily admit that I paid a lot of money for a car that, functionally, is comparable to many far cheaper cars. I bartered hard and got a really good deal in my 10-month-old F-Sport model with a few extra bells and whistles, and saved roughly £6k over a new car as a result.

The reason I didn't go for something cheaper was as follows:

a) I really wanted the latest Toyota/Lexus hybrid automatic system.

b) I really wanted something with an extremely premium feel and interior

c) I really wanted something that would, in theory, be totally reliable for at least ten years

d) I wanted to buy from a band where I could count on good customer service from my dealer

Now, your mileage may/will vary, but there are very few brands that can match any of those requirements, never mind all of them. Maybe I've just had a lot of bad luck, but the German luxury brands don't seem to build cars that still work after three years, and Volvo isn't much better. Customer service matters to me, but it may not to you, and again - only Mazda and Lexus have ever impressed me in that regard.

As to why the UX over something else? I actually went in with the intention of buying an IS300h, but found that both the drivetrain and interior were rather dated, whereas the UX is bang up-to-date with their latest interiors and 4th gen hybrid system. The NX and RX are very cool, but I don't want or need a large car - I'm coming from an MX-5, so this thing is like a tank to me. The back seats are for occasional use only, and I'm used to packing two weeks' worth of clothes in a backpack, so the tiny UX boot seems just fine for my purposes. Finally, I did consider the CT200h as well, but again - it's an old car, old technology, and performance is very poor. My UX can hold its own on a twisty road when driven smoothly, yet is comfortable and relaxing when commuting or cruising on the motorway.

People like me are fortunate enough and willing to be able to pay more for that "experience" above and beyond the technical capabilities of a vehicle, and that's what Lexus are counting on.

Nick

Great post, sums up the logic/emotions of what cars we buy and why. Others will have an opinion on what you could/should have bought and let's face it for every vehicle there are a significant number of other cars you could have bought in that segment or price range. I consider myself as logical and rationale and cautious when it comes down to a buying decision but I always force myself to bring some illogic thinking or emotion into the equation, otherwise as you point out we'd all be buying something more sensible/practical etc - enjoy your UX.

Totally with @EvilRacer329 - I don't really buy the "competing with" thing. You pick a car based on what you need.

Out of interest, my wife's arrived and on the fourth day there was a very minor problem after an evening trip, about which I contacted Lexus Belfast at around 10.50pm. I had an email back from the manager within 20 minutes and he was standing on our doorstep at 8.20am; the problem was resolved fully with the car back on the drive within 12 hours of a night-time email.

Not that problems happen very often - the reliability and the service on the exceptionally rare occasions things do go wrong are why I like the brand.