Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220D White Smoke Worries

Diveboy

Hi All,

Bought a 57 plate IS220d with 102k miles yesterday. All seemed fine on test drive and on the 30 miles home.

This morning on the way to work after about 5-10 mins I noticed a LOT of white smoke coming from the exhaust. I ended up turning round and going home to get my wifes car. But on the way home it stopped. I thought I heard a noise from the engine under load but not sure.

I read on hear that they can do this on warm up but it was enough to make me very worried and uncomfortable.

2 hours ago, Diveboy said:

Hi All,

Bought a 57 plate IS220d with 102k miles yesterday. All seemed fine on test drive and on the 30 miles home.

This morning on the way to work after about 5-10 mins I noticed a LOT of white smoke coming from the exhaust. I ended up turning round and going home to get my wifes car. But on the way home it stopped. I thought I heard a noise from the engine under load but not sure.

I read on hear that they can do this on warm up but it was enough to make me very worried and uncomfortable.

This is sooo common on the IS diesel. I don't know the model but help will be along soon I'm sure.

8 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Thanks I read a couple of post and I've disconnected the Battery and hoping that's it. Just having a mad panic this morning. 

I contacted the seller and he was sound. He put a new Battery in 2 weeks ago so my feeling is that,that reset the ECU and its then caused the issue. Could be wishful thinking but he sounded honest enough. 

Bloody worrying when you don't know about it. People behind me weren't best please either. 

Hi Paul,

It sounds like it is doing a regen for the DPF.  If so, this is quite normal and should go away on its own.  It is caused by extra fuel being pumped into the exhaust in order to heat up the DPF and burn off excess carbon.

My suggestion is to take it for a run on a motorway or A road and spend at least 15 minutes above 2000rpm to give it a good burn.  Hopefully this will stop the smoke, at least for now.

After giving it a proper drive/commute today it runs for 5-10 mins then smokes for 5 mins then seems to mostly stop. 

I've had the Battery off so that's not solved it. 

I also noticed that it get really rough and lumpy at 2.5k revs and struggles unroll you get over 3k. 

Have you tried cleaning the EGR valve?  Pretty straightforward to do )they get clogged quickly and when they do you notice a lack of power below 3k rpm.

Also, you might want to try eBay for a cable and TechStream software.  That would give you an idea what blockage level the car thinks the DPF is at.  If it is high then it would explain the regen.

Diesels aren't my area but it shouldn't be white smoke if the car is attempting a regeneration should it? I always thought white smoke from a diesel was something to do with unburned fuel?

Thanks.

My mate has a Launch Diagun IV so im hope that might read it at the weekend.

Also got some DPF cleaner regenerator to add in tonight when I fill up. 

I will also clean the EGR on sat. 

Cheers for the advice.

9 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Diesels aren't my area but it shouldn't be white smoke if the car is attempting a regeneration should it? I always thought white smoke from a diesel was something to do with unburned fuel?

I'm lead to believe that white/grey smoke is fine in this circumstance. But yes my first thought was cylinder head but both oil and water are fine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rich1068 said:

The way the regen works in the is220d is that it uses a 5th injector to pump extra fuel into the exhaust.  That way, it gets the DPF to over 650C which helps burn off excess carbon.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I’m guessing this was a private sale or I would be taking it back to a dealer.

Yes, he got me good an proper as I've never bought a lemon and had about 30 cars over the years.
Live and learn.