Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

07 gs450h glovebox ipod connector

Hi I have a 30 pin ipod connector in my glovebox. 

I have bought a 30pin Bluetooth dongle for it 

The Bluetooth connector connects to my phone for audio, but I can't find where in the lexus screen I am supposed to hear this audi for. Ie if I press tape CD fm etc there is no place for it and nowhere to find it. 

Anyone know a work around? 

Thanks 

Roy - no aux button physical or onscreen

Trout - my phone connects to the Bluetooth of the car for calls, but as you know it doesn't do audio, just calls, this dongle was supposed to be for audio. 

I haven't tried the 30 pin with an ipod but I'm sure it's for more than charging as it goes to tge back of the system rather than to the 12v. I do think it's either aftermarket or optional though. 

Thanks for the responses

• Like 1

Rameez,

If the connector goes into the system then there is perhaps hope. I am guessing you have connected a  bluetooth dongle because you have a phone with the later lightning connector? Can you get a phone or iPod with 30 pin connector to try it?

A lighting to 30pin adaptor might help but the only one I found on eBay was just for charging.

If the connector does go into the system then I can only guess it replaces one of the other inputs - CD, radio, tape - but you have tried these.

I would like to connect my ancient and otherwise unused iPod because it is much less bother than loading up the CD changer. A simple solution would be great.

Please keep us informed.

John

I'll try and find my old ipod to see if it works trout and will let u know. 

Britprius - how do you get it to work - do you press on the CD and then it shows up as the second CD? 

Thanks 

Thanks sherra

Trout, you will have a ipod connector in the glovebox. I think it's either aftermarket or an option when buying the car. If you don't have it you might be out of luck. 

Just as an fyi, despite the 30 pin Bluetooth dongle connecting to the 30pin wire in the car and powering up and connecting to my phone, I don't think it will work as it doesn't play the sound from my phone on the speakers or show up on the screen.

I believe the 07 only has Bluetooth 2.
Bluetooth 3 is required for a full audio/music connection.

You can in theory play music over a Bluetooth 2 connection but well, it'd sound worse than radio as
really it only supports enough bandwidth for calls, much lower sound quality than you would want for music.
You used to be able to get apps on Android phones that would allow you to trick the Bluetooth into playing
music over the call, but the quality was poor and you can't skip tracks e.t.c.

Only way I've found to pipe music into my 07 GS450H is to use a 'fake tape' which has a 2.5mm audio
jack, so you tell the car to play the tape and plug the audio jack into your phone. Unfortunately the 
sound quality generally isn't the best. 

Easiest to just burn yourself a MP3 CD of music. Can fit over 100 tracks on one CD so its not too bad.
I haven't been able to get a MP3 DVD working yet myself.

Just had a check, seem to be two ways to check if you car supports this:

1> On the car, go to the audio page. If there is a 'BT Auto Connection' or similar button there, your car is compatible.
2> On your phone, when paired with the car, in the Bluetooth menu, select the car, then view services. If it has a hands-free or similar service only
then it doesn't do music. If its music compatible, you should see two audio services available, one for music and one for calls.

I did check on mine and only saw the one service and it looks to be quite close to your's.

I have the 30 pin connector and tried many adapters to convert to lightening or Bluetooth or micro usb and usb type c and none worked.

I ended up buying a used ipod touch, loading that with music and just leave it in the car.

With the touch plugged in and powered (it doesn't shut off with the car so flattens itself if parked for ages or not driven car enough to charge it properly) the music is accessed via the CD function. Can't recalls if its first press or second, as the cd changer still works so you can choose between both.

If the ipod is flat of charge, it takes a minute or two to then be selectable, as needs to power up and load etc before the option is available via the cd selection.

Mine was already installed when purchased. The selection is through CD Not DVD but DVD plays my music discs which can be confusing. You need to power up the Ipod and select music and go from there, not cracked the playlist layout yet though I just have all tracks in one folder. I also leave it on all the time so just need to select CD and it plays where it left off. I think it goes into a standby mode but as it was acquired solely for the car I still don't know how it should work. Ill have to ask my grandson!!!

On 2/3/2020 at 8:34 PM, OldTrout said:

I have just dug out my old iPod and am charging it. I also have the car. What do I need to connect them together?

John

John. Sorry for the delayed reply. I have been away for a couple of days. My 30 pin connector goes through a small dongle. I cannot give you any more details till I get my car back except to say it plays music from my Ipad with full steering wheel, and voice control with excellent sound quality. I will give more details once I get my car back.

John.

I bought a 30pin to 3.5mm jack cable to try out on the 30 pin ipod connector in the glovebox. Unfortunately not even this works. 

Very frustrating 

So no way to connect Bluetooth to listen to podcasts etc on the gs.

Might have to use one of those old cassette tape to 3.5mm connectors LOL. Can't remember what the sound quality is like though, from reviews it's pretty bad.  Or just use earphones. 

Thanks for all the input above anyway.

If anyone figures anything out, let us know. 

Rameez,

If you don't have an iPod to try, might this be worth a punt?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-iPod-touch-4th-Generation-Black-8GB/202899208657?hash=item2f3dbc39d1:g:M9MAAOSw8hpePDJn

I tried a 3.5mm jack to cassette tape adaptor. It was very cheap and very bad.

John

• Like 1

Thanks for that John - will this play podcasts and have audible? 

I've actually been looking online and have found some options 

1 expensive but seems to work 

https://www.gtacarkits.com/product/lexus-gs-2006-2011-iphone-aux-kit/

2 cheap and simple and may work

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JN9MD28/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_t6PpEbSERHZR9

I may try option 2 if I can be bothered in due course 

43 minutes ago, Rameez said:

Thanks for that John - will this play podcasts and have audible? 

I've actually been looking online and have found some options 

1 expensive but seems to work 

https://www.gtacarkits.com/product/lexus-gs-2006-2011-iphone-aux-kit/

2 cheap and simple and may work

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JN9MD28/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_t6PpEbSERHZR9

I may try option 2 if I can be bothered in due course 

Wow! Real money.

Would a s/h iPod not be much cheaper and according to others on this tread just work? Would an old Iphone also work?*

What is very annoying is that I have an iPod and according to Lexus history my car has the iPod option. Whereabouts in the glove compartment does the cable emerge? I'll go and look more carefully.

John

* Can you PM me?

2 hours ago, OldTrout said:

Sadly both glove box and central armrest are completely devoid of iPod connectors.

Thanks guys.

John

John sorry I cannot update you on mine until it's returned from the body shop.

John.