Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS220d - Fixes through the years

SexyLexi

Hello all,

Just been thinking about all the problems associated with the IS220d and i was wondering did any of them ever get fixed from factory throughout the years of production such as a better head gasket design, more reliable injectors, 5th injector, DPF etc?

I currently have a 2008 model with 101k with no problems as of yet apart from seized caliper pins in each caliper, i would of liked to keep it as long as i could but the thought of several expensive problems as ticking time bombs is putting me off.

Thanks

Hi Michael,

As far as I am aware, only the head gasket problem was solved on the is200d.  However, again from my understanding, at this point the risk of your head gasket failing is reduced somewhat as most were affected earlier in their lives.

For the rest, I don't think injectors themselves are a big problem in the grand scheme of things.  Yes, there have been a few members with problems on here, but I don't think it is as widespread as perhaps that suggests.

It is my belief that there are only 2 issues that you are going to have to look out for - seized brake callipers and EGR/DPF problems.

The first is easily solved with regular greasing with silicon grease, so a little preventative maintenance would stop any issues forming.

Similarly, the EGR valve just needs scheduled cleaning to keep it working properly.  I would advise every 5000 miles since it is quite an easy job to do.  The DPF is simply a case of not doing short journeys and giving the car a good run once in a while.

As an example, I sold my old 2008 is220d to a close friend of mine and he sent me a picture last week of it passing 160k miles.

So, my advice to you is to keep up the regular maintenance and, if the worse does happen, then get rid of it and get a IS250 instead.

Hope this helps.