Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2nd Radiator???

If the rad you are talking about is the hybrid coolant rad leaking I have never heard of any problems with this on any of the Toyota/Lexus range of hybrids. It does do an important job, but is not worked hard like an engine cooling rad.
The most common fault with the hybrid cooling system is failure of the electric coolant pump. This has been the subject of recalls on most of the range.
It should also be noted that only the correct coolant should be used to guard against aluminium corrosion. The coolant is Toyota SLLC "Supper long life coolant, and should be changed after 10 years or 120,000 miles, and at 50,000 mile interval after.

John.

Thanks John, It was while getting my air con condenser renewed that my mechanic saw the state of this smaller radiator.  As he said himself it could last 6 weeks or 6 years, he just didn't know but his normal suppliers don't stock such an item and Lexus want £480 for the part which I am loathe to pay for  12 year-old car.  Do you know if this part is referred to as an "Inverter Cooler", because if so I can source the part from the states at a far more reasonable price....

3 hours ago, Burroo 67 said:

Thanks John, It was while getting my air con condenser renewed that my mechanic saw the state of this smaller radiator.  As he said himself it could last 6 weeks or 6 years, he just didn't know but his normal suppliers don't stock such an item and Lexus want £480 for the part which I am loathe to pay for  12 year-old car.  Do you know if this part is referred to as an "Inverter Cooler", because if so I can source the part from the states at a far more reasonable price....

Check to make sure "by following the pipe work" that it is the hybrid system cooler. If so you should be able to pick up a cooler in this country from a breaker. The rad is generally referred to as the Inverter cooler, but it does also cool the transmission.

John.