Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CD Slot Phone Holder

I have up to recently used a vent-mounted mobile phone holder, attached to the air vent on the right of the steering wheel, but somehow managed to break the bracket (entirely my fault... can't blame the quality of the holder that was in fact very good).

I am considering replacing it with a CD Slot mounted mobile phone holder, preferably of the gravity type. My phone is a large one (Galaxy Note 10 Plus) however, and I am concerned that the phone or its holder will end up in the way of the gear lever.

Can anyone recommend such a device? - thanks in advance.

Thanks to you both for your prompt responses.

14 hours ago, spacenase said:

Hi,

I use this one: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RVHC2B0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits well if you fit it upside down and is solid and stable, works well!

Would you be able to post a pic of it installed? I have my phone in portrait mode and I am still concerned that the position of the phone will interfere either with the gear lever, or the console itself as the CD slot is somewhat recessed with the console protruding slightly above it. (Damn... this is not easy to put into words!)

Here it is. It provides a good stable fit and doesn't vibrate too much when you're driving. The gearstick does go round it without a problem when moving into and out of Park, but you do have to hold it differently so you don't catch your hand on the holder. Also, it does miss the overhang of the upper dashboard nicely.

The issues are that it's a bit fiddly to expand the clamp to fit it as it's awkward to get to the screw wheel to tighten and loosen it but it is doable. Also, the phone ends up a bit low so you have to take your eyes of the road for longer than you'd ideally like too in order to look at the screen. For me, it's fine because I only use it occasionally when I want to use a more reliable sat nav system.

I suspect I'll stop using it when apple CarPlay / Android Auto becomes available.

IMG_0078_SMALL.JPG

IMG_0080_SMALL.JPG

• Thanks 1

Thanks Keith, for taking the time to take and post the pics and answering my questions. i very much appreciated it.

Based on the info you have provided and the size of my phone, I have decided to stick with a vent mounted folder.

I've put one in my IS300h and to be honest its a bit of a pain, as you can see in the photos above of an NX, it impedes the gearstick, on an IS it also impedes your view of some of the audio and climate controls.

I'm going to remove it and only put it in when I really need it.

Vince

FYI, this is the holder I have been using:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HNTCVFK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As previously said, the product is well made and it served me fine until I broke the clip. It's only because I needed to replace it that I thought about a CD slot mounted alternative.
Once of the things I like about this mount is the way the phone is locked in place via a gravity system. Putting the phone into the holder and removing it is very easy and is a one hand operation, even with a large phone.