Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ISF's on AT at the moment...

Seems to be a few ISF's on AutoTrader at the mo [that aren't super late ones, with super low miles and super big bucks]!

Anyone know anything about these ones? I think a few of them have been up for sale for quite a while. I wonder why they haven't sold?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001226439811?sort=price-desc&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&make=LEXUS&model=IS%20F&postcode=cv77nh&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001286665207?sort=price-desc&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&make=LEXUS&model=IS%20F&postcode=cv77nh&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002026867110?sort=price-desc&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&make=LEXUS&model=IS%20F&postcode=cv77nh&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=1

Obviously, just an opinion, but I think... must be the price. Early 2008 IS-F starts at £12-14k and that is ignoring some more tired examples on facebook going for £9k. Yes these cars have 30-40k miles less, but nevertheless they are out of warranty and early model year cars. If you ask me I would not pay extra £3-4k for the same car only because it is 60k miles and not 96k, mileage is not exactly a problem for Lexus as long as there is service history. Equally, not sure if that is still the case, but around summer time there were several 2010 cars at similar price ~17-18k, so why would one take 2008 model, when 2010 can be had for similar price? So again, the type of buyer who is going for 12 years old sports car with high mileage is likely to be a person who is trying to get it at cheap price and not exactly in position to pay premium just to knock down few miles and these cars are just too expensive.

11 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Obviously, just an opinion, but I think... must be the price. Early 2008 IS-F starts at £12-14k and that is ignoring some more tired examples on facebook going for £9k. Yes these cars have 30-40k miles less, but nevertheless they are out of warranty and early model year cars. If you ask me I would not pay extra £3-4k for the same car only because it is 60k miles and not 96k, mileage is not exactly a problem for Lexus as long as there is service history. Equally, not sure if that is still the case, but around summer time there were several 2010 cars at similar price ~17-18k, so why would one take 2008 model, when 2010 can be had for similar price? So again, the type of buyer who is going for 12 years old sports car with high mileage is likely to be a person who is trying to get it at cheap price and not exactly in position to pay premium just to knock down few miles and these cars are just too expensive.

Your opinion mirrors mine mate, though I think I'm bias as I want an ISF and have a maximum I'd spend on an early car. I base this on the figure I nearly bought an 08 car for 2 years ago [that had FSH, owned by a club member, under 50k miles etc]. Obviously I wouldn't expect to have to spend more on a similar car now. I know ISF's are rare but they still depreciate like all other cars [especially cars with V8's]!

Mines the blue one!

I have not answered any calls or emails really I kind of want to keep it!

Mines just had full service all tyres all brake pads and all discs etc. Lexus also gave an inspection and has said it can have a lexus warranty.

Thinking of putting the price up so I get to keep it told my misses I dont want a 1.2L Hyundai!

I get calls I ignore and emails every few days but only just really talked properly to the first person who emailed a while ago and he came to see it and if he doesn't want it it's there for the year on auto traider so i might increase it and answer some emails!! 

S

• Like 1

Cant say that I agree that mileage is not an important factor in the price of a car, irrelevant of if its a lexus or not age and mileage are the two most important factors in pricing any car imho and a 50k car should be worth considerably more than a 100k car. Twice the mileage twice the potential wear on the components that matter.

• Like 7

I don't think any one would argue with that Craig...I guess it depends how big the price gap is though!

Ignoring Ollie's car [in my list of ISF's on AT at the moment], as he's only just put it up for sale, the other two have been for sale for quite some time...the black one looks to be a good example [low miles, low number of owners, not sure about the SH, still in warranty I believe]. Is price the main reason it hasn't sold? 

There has been an interesting discussion on piston heads over the last couple of days regarding mileage correction and how rife it is. 

Loads of stories about clocked cars and how you need to do your homework and not just buy on mileage. Apparently the problem is becoming worse due to PCP mileage limits.

On 2/7/2020 at 1:33 PM, Linas.P said:

I decided to go for a low mileage early ISF (45k to be exact) and certainly did pay the extra ~£3k over one with >100k miles. I agree, the engine / transmission are totally fine up to much higher mileage. My justification for spending the extra was;

1) Suspension components / wheel bearings / general chassis components are likely to be more tired on a higher mileage car, and I would expect to be replacing some of those components on higher mileage vehicles during ownership - Labour intensive and unlikely to be cheap

2) Re-sale - not so much the value, but the difficulty to sell. Low mileage sells cars, fact

With 45k miles, the car feels 100% tight, and looks / smells and drives like new 😀

Regarding your comment about 2010 cars, those you mentioned must've been high mileage 2010 cars at that price point. In addition, I was too impatient to wait! 2010+ cars are sooo scarce and when they do come up, with sensible mileage, fetch very strong money.

Either way you look at it all ISF value is very stable with most the depreciation already gone (£60k 10 years ago). The cars are selling at their current pricing and the rarity keeps the market value stable, imo.

Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 3

On 2/14/2020 at 1:07 PM, JAD90 said:

Regarding your comment about 2010 cars, those you mentioned must've been high mileage 2010 cars at that price point.

All the cars listed were 2008, so my comment was about 2008. If you mean regarding the past prices - then as far as I can remember there was 1 red 2011 car from ex-club member @£17k and had ~34k miles and few more 2010 cars with mileage ~40-60k. The only cars over 20k were late 2012 cars and at some point one with 12k miles costed even more than cheapest RC-F. The reason to pay more for 2010 car is that it benefits from one significant thing - it could still be warranted. Further, whereas 2009 car pretty much the same as 2008, the 2010 cars had revised suspension which was more compliant over rough roads.

Still I would not pay much for mileage and what you saying is only true if you not planning to drive the car and keep it low miles... which for me kind of defeats the point of even owning the car. If you buy "high miles" car and drive it a lot that won't impact the value you paid, yet if you pay extra for low miles car and make it high miles... well you basically depreciate it more. I feel it would make me uncomfortable to put miles on the car knowing this.

Other consideration - if you planning to track the car or modify it, then again you better of with car which has already depreciated. One would degrade and later upgrade much of suspension anyway, so getting pristine low miles car really adds no value. 

25 minutes ago, ISF V8 JAY said:

2008 vehicles can still be warranted, as long as they have been previously had warranty before. 

I thought that the car had to be under 10 years old before you bought the warranty. So theoretically you could buy 2 x the buy one get one free Lexus Warranty the day before the car was 10 and it would have a Lexus warranty until its 14th birthday or the mileage limit which I think is 140000 miles. But you couldn’t buy a Lexus Warranty on a car that had past its 10th birthday regardless if it was covered by one up to this point. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Lexus warranty could only be bought for 10 years/100k miles. However, there are exceptions and it seems mainly in form of IS-F... which only theoretically possible, but it is down to "dealers discretion" + further conditions, like Lexus service history etc. etc.

As @F.A. said, if you get warranty before the deadline, then usually it could extend past 10 years and it is well known fact that many IS-Fs do. I haven't seen the cars with 2+2 warranty yet, but I guess again that is dealers discretion. If the car is 10 years old with 20k miles on it, then probably they take it - unlikely that you will suddenly drive 180k miles in next 4 years, but if the car is already at 95k and you want to get another 4 years of warranty potentially making it ~140-160k miles warranted car, I don't think the risk for Lexus would be worthy here. I guess if you getting it from the dealer and they selling it as "used approved" (which I doubt would be likely for 10 years old car), then perhaps they would allow you to extend standard 1 year sales warranty to 2 years. But this is again kind of "special case" scenario.

Finally, if you just go and buy 2008 IS-F today which does not already have transferable warranty... then no - it cannot be warranted any longer, whereas 2010 car can... and 2010 car is likely to qualify for this shady "exception" where you will be able to warrant it for perhaps another 2 years. 

1 hour ago, F.A. said:

I thought that the car had to be under 10 years old before you bought the warranty. So theoretically you could buy 2 x the buy one get one free Lexus Warranty the day before the car was 10 and it would have a Lexus warranty until its 14th birthday or the mileage limit which I think is 140000 miles. But you couldn’t buy a Lexus Warranty on a car that had past its 10th birthday regardless if it was covered by one up to this point. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

I renewed the warranty on mine the day before she turned 10.

Currently runs out at end of September.

You can't bolt on another 2 years on top of that.  The most they can be under warranty for is 11 years and 364 days old.

I already had about 6 months left on my existing Lexus warranty and they wouldn't stick it on to the end of what was remaining 😞

• Like 1

@ISF V8 JAY is correct. @FTBBCVoodoo you're not correct I'm afraid and you'll be in for a welcome surprise when yours does run out.

Mine is an April 2008 car ans the warranty was  due to run out at the end of this month, ie 11 years 9 months later. I got a renewal letter through a month ago stating this and I have just renewed the warranty again until Febraury 2022.

Just now, ollie isf said:

@ISF V8 JAY is correct. @FTBBCVoodoo you're not correct I'm afraid and you'll be in for a welcome surprise when yours does run out.

Mine is an April 2008 car ans the warranty was  due to run out at the end of this month, ie 11 years 9 months later. I got a renewal letter through a month ago stating this and I have just renewed the warranty again until Febraury 20

If that's the case, I wish they could have bolted my renewal onto the end of my existing warranty as I renewed early thinking it was my last chance 😞

if I still have the car in September and I get a chance to renew then I will snap their hands off 🙂

• Like 1

I guess it’s cos the Lexus warranty is quite a bargain compared to what you’d have to spend on an M3 or C63, and that’s why a high percentage of ISF’s have a warranty...but at the same time, you guys already talk about how amazingly reliable they are, would you be happy to run without a warranty?

1 hour ago, ollie isf said:

Mine is an April 2008 car ans the warranty was  due to run out at the end of this month, ie 11 years 9 months later. I got a renewal letter through a month ago stating this and I have just renewed the warranty again until Febraury 2022.

That shouldn't have been allowed under the current Lexus used warranty on offer. Was the renewal from Lexus or your dealer?

An older product allowed cars up to 14 years old but the current one is only up to 12 years old.

In order to be eligible for a LexusCare Warranty your vehicle must be a Lexus vehicle less than 10 years old and have travelled less than 140,000 miles (from date of first registration). If you are renewing an existing Extended Warranty and providing there is no lapse in cover between the warranty being renewed and the new one, then the mileage limitation of 140,000 miles is waived.

14 hours ago, BUG4LIFE said:

I guess it’s cos the Lexus warranty is quite a bargain compared to what you’d have to spend on an M3 or C63, and that’s why a high percentage of ISF’s have a warranty...but at the same time, you guys already talk about how amazingly reliable they are, would you be happy to run without a warranty?

09 plate with 119k have had no issues, no warranty either 

16 hours ago, ollie isf said:

I was told by my lexus dealer this was not possible, and only possible the day before it turns 10 as per @F.A. comment.

Did you letter come from HQ or a lexus dealer? Maybe thats the difference?