Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyres

DLX

What tyres are on your es300h?    Any good?

I have Dunlop maxx 050 18"(235/45R18) on mine and think they have very poor grip in damp and wet conditions especially under acceleration (light!).

Have 10k miles on them and they look to have a lot of life left but I'm seriously considering replacing them.

Any recommendations?

On 2/8/2020 at 3:33 PM, DLX said:

What tyres are on your es300h?    Any good?

I have Dunlop maxx 050 18"(235/45R18) on mine and think they have very poor grip in damp and wet conditions especially under acceleration (light!).

Have 10k miles on them and they look to have a lot of life left but I'm seriously considering replacing them.

Any recommendations?

What about Bridgestone driveguard 235/45RF18

Mine came with Michelins which have just been replaced (at approx 20,000 miles). I would be interested what tyre life other people have experienced - the fronts wore more quickly and needed replacing just ahead of 20k miles; at my recent service I was informed the rears were still within limits but had worn unevenly and were "stepped". I wonder what could have caused that, the dealer said there was nothing wrong with the suspension etc. In terms of how the tyres are, I've found the traction control is very "trigger happy", the slightest slip on the road (e.g. a manhole cover) is enough to trigger an intervention. FWD characteristic I guess!

18 hours ago, The_Doctor said:

Mine came with Michelins which have just been replaced (at approx 20,000 miles). I would be interested what tyre life other people have experienced - the fronts wore more quickly and needed replacing just ahead of 20k miles; at my recent service I was informed the rears were still within limits but had worn unevenly and were "stepped". I wonder what could have caused that, the dealer said there was nothing wrong with the suspension etc. In terms of how the tyres are, I've found the traction control is very "trigger happy", the slightest slip on the road (e.g. a manhole cover) is enough to trigger an intervention. FWD characteristic I guess!

Absolutely agree with the "trigger happy" comment - yes manhole covers especially!

Previous car was RWD so maybe I have forgotten the character(!) of FWD.

• 2 months later...

What brand of tyres are standard delivery on the ES 300h sports luxury? Michelin? Bridgestone? Or Dunlop? 

I am in Australia but we get the same rhd vehicles that the UK does. I think the Japanese sold es300h have Bridgestone and my previous camry had Bridgestone. 

My Nov 2019 has Dunlop which are not as highly regarded here in Australia as Bridgestone. 

5 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

I don't know what model of Michelin are fitted to ES but on my 2015 GS I replaced Dunlops with Michelin Primacy 4 which were brilliant. 

Did you find the Michelin a lot better? Was the ride firmer? What about the steering? And just as quiet? 

10 hours ago, BenB66 said:

What brand of tyres are standard delivery on the ES 300h sports luxury? Michelin? Bridgestone? Or Dunlop? 

Whatever is cheapest and can get stock to the factory at the time.

4 hours ago, BenB66 said:

Did you find the Michelin a lot better? Was the ride firmer? What about the steering? And just as quiet? 

The Michelin's were a lot quieter than the Dunlops and felt far more secure in the wet. 

They wore evenly and at the time I fitted them were subject to a Promotional pre loaded debit card offer. 

• 7 months later...

Ok finally replaced the Dunlops (not done much mileage recently!)!   The fronts were well down (16k miles) and the backs fine but I replaced all 4 with Bridgestone Turanza T005.   First impressions are very good (even taking into account these are new vs. old and worn).   Even with the recent wet weather I have not seen the traction control come on!   There are a couple of places near me where whenever I pulled out on the Dunlops (even from new) the traction control kicked in without even trying.   Not noticed it kicking in so far.    As always time will tell but so far overall - feel, braking, cornering is good.  .

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Noticed the tester had dunlops sport maxx 050 on it (they are high performance summer tyres and awful in the damp/wet). Told them I want them replaced on PDI to Michelin cross climate plus. I've had those on my current car for 3 seasons. They work just as well in the wet as the do in the dry, and can handle snow. They do get noisier as they age, but what tyre doesn't. I've had them on for 78k km and they're still at ~4mm, mostly highway.

Stepping is not unusual for rear tyres on a FWD car if you haven't roated tyres front to back. Same thing happened with the Michelins, but I heard the difference early and had them do a rotation. I normally rotate every service, but my last dealer seemed to think that wasn't necessary. Admitted he was wrong when we found the stepping on the rears only.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links