PeteTP

Anyone know UK LS460 For sale

Thank you for that. It’s one that I’d seen but think from memory (need to recheck) MoT history wasn’t what I’d have expected from a TLC owner. As I say...need to check again. Not for the first time the details contradict themselves over whether or not the car has 18” or 19” alloys. Will look again now 🤓 at this one....may keep me awake🙄.

Once again, much obliged for your generosity of advice and info.

PeyeTP

Morning Graham,

May I please enquire:

Any known issues with 460s to look out for before committing to a purchase.

Ever had any faults/failures with air suspension? I’ve heard of some expensive rectification stories regarding the air system.

Does the LS feel like a monster to park? Supermarket and other public parking areas don’t often have wide berths and I tend to try and park as far from others as poss.....in my comparatively small IS250!!

Sorry about the niffnaff standard of questions but typical of my picky consideration. Hope you are keeping ok.

PeteTP

I've recently replaced the air suspension on my LS430 at 68K, some go on for 250K.  The cheapest quote I got in this country for parts alone was 3K, so worth bearing in mind just in case.  I find mine a very easy car to park and maneuver, simply because it has the turning circle of a mini! Plus of course you could get with with self park if your nerves would allow! 

Yikes 🥴! £3k just for the parts....all 4 corners?

Morning Pete, as I said , it's 6 years since I had mine. 07 plate bought in 2010 (60k miles £25k) and kept for 4 years (sold with 99k, £12k )

As far as I can remember, the only expense incurred, apart from routine maintenance, was a replacement headlight bulb for £70.

Air suspension, never a problem. The LS600 I replaced it with (2009) had an air shock go which cost £700. Replaced 1 corner, didn't do the other, and never had a problem.

They are a much bigger car than your IS but you'll get used to the size very quickly. The SE L has the self parking, bit of a novelty, and after using it a couple of times you'll soon realise it's easier to park without it.

07 plates had a Valve Replacement recall which was carried out FOC by any main dealer. Check on the web it's been done.

Keeping well, thank you, just waiting for a call from Harefield Hosp.

Graham.

4 hours ago, PeteTP said:

Any known issues with 460s to look out for

if its not yet been mentioned, yes, at that age the radiator will need replacing to ensure the gearbox contamination doesn't happen

Malc

Graham and Malcolm,

Thanks for the wisdom. Had read about a radiator issue but wasn’t able to remember the vintage. Malcolm, is that radiator replacement a pricey job dya know? No worries if you don’t want to be put on the spot.

Hold onto yur hats for Ciara’s husband (Denis) arriving this weekend🤓!

PeteTP

8 hours ago, PeteTP said:

Yikes 🥴! £3k just for the parts....all 4 corners?

Yes, just for the parts, all four.  Although Lexus Hedge End quoted me over 4K just for the parts!

Thanks for that. It is an area of concern that has been referred to several times. However, if you get lucky and you avoid faults/failures that’s fine. On the other hand you’re potentially staring at ££££. Nevertheless, the recalls and radiator jobs need to be satisfactorily ticked off before I’d commit to any LS.

PeteTP

Hi Graham and Malcolm,

Thanks for the wisdom. Had read about a radiator issue but wasn’t able to remember the vintage. Malcolm, is that radiator replacement a pricey job dya know? No worries if you don’t want to be put on the spot.

Hold onto yur hats for Ciara’s husband (Denis) arriving this weekend🤓!

PeteTP

Hi Malcolm and Graham

What dya think?

https://www.autovillage.co.uk/used-car/lexus/ls/spi_17009_3586170?utm_source=newsnow.co.uk

I cant get any further info on this or the one at Stellar Motors as neither dealer has responded to my enquiry. Guess that tells a story with a moral attached!

TVM in advance.

PeteTP

3 minutes ago, PeteTP said:

Hi Malcolm and Graham

What dya think?

https://www.autovillage.co.uk/used-car/lexus/ls/spi_17009_3586170?utm_source=newsnow.co.uk

I cant get any further info on this or the one at Stellar Motors as neither dealer has responded to my enquiry. Guess that tells a story with a moral attached!

TVM in advance.

PeteTP

I think that Member-John the Tourist- bought an LS from Stellar last year.

Well thnx Roy...interesting. Hello John the Tourist, are you out there?

Any kind member able to give John a nudge an invite him into our fold? Would be very grateful to hear his thoughts and for help in contacting him.

BFN and trust that the winds are causing damage where you live.

PeteTP

Stellar Motors, that website Auto Village looks like a Group selling each others cars

BUT I do recall the Stellar  name,  they were selling a old Ls400 for a customer and that wasn't expensive apart from the fact that the owner lived most of the year abroad and had the car from new maybe BUT had forgotten to ever do any sensible maintenance on the car. Stellar wouldn't take any responsibility for that specific car, I think they had sold the punter a replacement car when his old Ls got too much for him and a term of their sale might have been they would try to sell his Ls400 for him ....  just guesswork

They couldn't put me in touch with the owner (  coz of GDPR )  it seems and the owner wasn't forthcoming in responding to requests to make contact with me

The old Ls400 was subsequently advertised elsewhere and I didn't get any answer to my enquiries there either.

SO, make of that what you will and decide if you really want to deal with that business.

Their Ls460 seems amazingly expensive, they possibly take main dealer p/exs that the main dealer wouldn't sell itself, maybe being too old

As I might have said before, there's some very fine Ls600s out there for that sort of money

The radiator issues

That doesn't have to be too expensive, a competent radiator changing mechanic can do it BUT make sure you get the right new radiator, there might be some choices.

Chap I bumped into last year locally had the radiator cause gearbox failure on his Ls430, didn't think it applied to his " new " Ls460 BUT it did and cost him @£3k to replace the gearbox ( I think that's what he said ) ....  I did a post on that specifically, we hadn't thought the Ls460 was prone until that time

I would think 10 years / 100k miles would be a sensible time to do the deed

And if you find one that's not been changed then it might be best coz you will then KNOW that you would have changed it yourself

Anyone else changing it prior, you might not understand if it had already caused grief and you were buying a very smart looking pile of sh--

Good luck

Malc

Evening Malcolm,

I enjoyed reading every word of your comprehensive reply; thanks v much. I’ve taken all of than on board and agree with the logic to your comments. Pile(s) of s*!t are not for me -now or ever.

The search continues.......

Keep holding onto your hat💨💨💨💨💨

PeteTP

I know all the suspension issues were 3 years ago but it had only covered 48k miles. No MOT report for August 2012. MOT in August 2014 only showing an increase of 8k in the 2 years. I'd be wary, but maybe I'm being a bit paranoid. Cannot find any other advert or photos for it.

https://www.vehiclestats.co.uk/registration/T14RON

Hi Graham,

Appreciate that guidance v much. I’m in total agreement about being wary. So much so it’s already a “no” from me. If a business fail/can’t be motivated to respond to my enquiry then I won’t be pursuing a response or having any dealings with them.

This is a purchase that will probably take time as what I’m after hasn’t appeared - yet🥴! However, I am going to extend my criteria to include the 600. Nevertheless, I am concerned about the increased complexity of the hybrid and associated rectification bills if/when something(s) went pear-shaped. Over-cautious? Perhaps so. Silly? I’m not so sure.

Anyway, please feel free to chip in (any member) with your words of wisdom, caution or otherwise. As they say at TESCO, “every ........”.

Thank you all for your continued support.

PeteTP

PS This LS 600h (FP57BGE) has just been put on offer at Ecociti in Doncaster.
My thoughts, tyre wear issue perhaps, miles higher than average and about nearly x3 what I have on wish/want list. However, good LSH and looks in reasonably decent shape outside and in. However, don’t know why dealers display pics of less than clean interior. In this case driver’s foot well, instrument cluster and boot. That said, hardly a show-stopper.

Your thoughts please, wise men of the LOC Kirk?

in October I started a thread

Ls430 or Ls460 or Ls600 next  ?

it had much content and might be worth a read

Malc

just checked, it had 117 replies and 85,488 views !

Malc

Have read all the posts on that very useful thread and now.....I’m confused! The estimates of Hybrid fault rectification costs make me freeze over. Then again air suspension failure or transmission contamination is equally frightening.

So am going to retreat into my cave to rub my chin...a lot....whilst I wonder what to do.

As I’ve said many times already I’m very appreciative of EVERYBODY’s  input(s).

Hmmmmm🥴

PeteTP