Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Memebr from Scotland NX300h

Adramelech

Hello to everyone

I own Lexus NX300h (2015)

During the summer I travel a lot around the Europe (mostly motorways)

I love my car, and I do not want to change it yet but wanted to improve economy, so I was thinking about
LPG installation here goes the unknown

I asked few LPG dealers about NX300h and I am confused
Most of them says they do not convert direct injection engines
I thought that NX200T or NX300 are equipped direct injection engines not NX300h

I believe I have 2AR-FXE engine and I think this is port injection engin but want to know for sure.

Has anybody here converted Lexus NX300h to LPG in UK?

thanks.

• Like 1

I wouldn't even consider fitting lpg to a hybrid. 

There are far too many issues that would concern me regarding reliability, especially travelling around Europe . If fuel economy is such an issue then perhaps you would be better off with a different vehicle as I don't know if the Atkinson cycle engines are suitable for conversion and if you were to get an issue when away from home who would have the knowledge to repair the car? 

I don't know what you are getting mpg wise being in Scotland, but I understand from the service staff at my dealer and other owners the consumption on the NX is low 30s in normal use. 

If you are willing to sacrifice boot space for an lpg tank then clearly you don't need that much luggage room. I have had a UX as a loan car and fuel economy on that is really good with plenty of oomph. That engine is a new design. 

Regarding LPG - if it could be done 1)What is the cost? 2)How much petrol would that cost buy you? 

Hope I have given you some food for thought. 

By the way Last year an NX owner in North Yorkshire quizzed me on the mpg of my 2015 RX450h and couldn't believe I was averaging over 33mpg as he was struggling to get much over 30. The terrain there is probably quite similar to Aberdeenshire. 

My current car has travelled just under 4,000 miles since purchased at the end of November (so all winter consumption) and my average mpg over that time is 36.79mpg according to my phone app. I always fill brim to brim so I know it is accurate. 

Thanks for your reply

I wouldn't even consider fitting lpg to a hybrid.

I believe hybrid does not change anything, you fit LPG to petrol engine not to the hybrid system

There are far too many issues that would concern me regarding reliability, especially travelling around Europe . If fuel economy is such an issue then perhaps you would be better off with a different vehicle as I don't know if the Atkinson cycle engines are suitable for conversion and if you were to get an issue when away from home who would have the knowledge to repair the car?

I had car with LPG system sometime ago and I had issue once, so LPG switch off it self and petrol was working as normal.

I don't know what you are getting mpg wise being in Scotland, but I understand from the service staff at my dealer and other owners the consumption on the NX is low 30s in normal use.

Mpg in Soctland is not really problem as I drive mostly around town, In summer I do like 8000+ miles cost cutting is like half when you have LPG (depends what type of lpg instalation you have)

If you are willing to sacrifice boot space for an lpg tank then clearly you don't need that much luggage room. I have had a UX as a loan car and fuel economy on that is really good with plenty of oomph. That engine is a new design.

I need boot space but I do not need spare wheel so the tank goes there like in most of LPG converted cars

Regarding LPG - if it could be done 1)What is the cost? 2)How much petrol would that cost buy you?

1. 1000-1300 in UK with all the warranty etc.
2. let say you use 10L per 100km so 1000L per 10000KM(at 130km/h - average max highway speed in europe)

For example Germany prices Min / Max
LPG    0.529 €/L    0.824 €/L
Unleaded    1.189 €/L    1.747 €/L
So we can easily say half (my previous car had very old LPG installation and I was averaging 45% cost cutting)

To move forward with my installation I need to find out what type injection my engine has
When I look for detail informations regarding NX300h engine they seems mixed with NX300 and NX200T
Also I would prefer liquid state injected LPG if possible.

10 hours ago, Adramelech said:

I believe I have 2AR-FXE engine and I think this is port injection engin but want to know for sure.

This is correct. The NX300h does not have direct injection - that would be the 2AR-FSE engine which is used in the IS300h.

2 hours ago, Adramelech said:

I take it that you haven't got an extended Lexus warranty on your car as no doubt fitting LPG to the car would invalidate it. 

You are certainly far braver than I am. 

My only experience with LPG was driving a late 90s Vauxhall Astra with a factory supplied conversion which wasn't a great success (overheating issues). 

Be interested to learn how it goes. 

Good Luck 

28 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

I take it that you haven't got an extended Lexus warranty on your car as no doubt fitting LPG to the car would invalidate it. 

You are certainly far braver than I am. 

My only experience with LPG was driving a late 90s Vauxhall Astra with a factory supplied conversion which wasn't a great success (overheating issues). 

Be interested to learn how it goes. 

Good Luck 

Well, I have but it runs out this year in summer,

I also found something like that " Converting a vehicle to run on Autogas may affect any warranty you have in place from the manufacturer, however this can often be supported by a new warranty offered by Liquid Gas UK Approved Autogas Installers and Accredited Distributors. "

I will have my service soon so I will ask my Toyota/Lexus dealer about warranty and LPG

then some more research in the subject after that depends how far I have to go for conversion will make final decision.

I am not really brave but I think there is a lot of myths about LPG 😄

The only thing I will say is that the Lexus extended warranty is worth having and to compromise having it might be an expensive decision. I personally would be reluctant to compromise the integrity of the original design. If I bought a car that didn't meet expectations in respect of economy I would probably change it for a more suitable car rather than interfere with the way it was originally designed. 

Many cars works fine with LPG why should not Lexus, Imho Lexus is very reliable car in general so if LPG is done properly is should work well. I will definitely learn more about warranty before I go for it.

9 minutes ago, Adramelech said:

Many cars works fine with LPG why should not Lexus, Imho Lexus is very reliable car in general so if LPG is done properly is should work well. I will definitely learn more about warranty before I go for it.

Definitely check out warranty as some seemingly innocuous jobs can cost mega bucks. 

My Current 2017 RX450h had a water pump replaced at 24000 miles. The part was £115 plus vat and the labour was £765 +VAT. 

This was done under manufacturers warranty but it makes you think carefully about how much these cars might cost to fix if they have been altered by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. 

3 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Definitely check out warranty as some seemingly innocuous jobs can cost mega bucks. 

I will do that. I was thinking about fitting lpg in Continental Europe but I am afraid of UK validation of LPG etc and  how insurence company will react.

Surprised that fuel consumption is so low as you allude to. I have had my Nx300h for nearly two years and have recorded brim to brim mileage from new. Mixed range of driving has given a average of 41mpg over 18500 miles. 

2 hours ago, Ken R said:

Surprised that fuel consumption is so low as you allude to. I have had my Nx300h for nearly two years and have recorded brim to brim mileage from new. Mixed range of driving has given a average of 41mpg over 18500 miles. 

Got a feeling the later cars might be better than the earlier ones mpg wise, but not doubt someone will put me right on that if I have got it wrong. 

3 hours ago, Ken R said:

^^ Agree. Most members on here - with a couple of exceptions - seem to get high 30's or low 40's mpg. I got the same sort of numbers from my pre and post - facelift NX vehicles. I'm achieving 39.5mpg at the moment without trying. In Summer it was 42 ish according to the in-car computer.

Speaking with my dealer when I got my second NX they reported that owners were very happy with mpg, achieving the sorts of numbers I manage. The exceptions were those doing high motorway mileage, but they said that was the case across the Lexus range, and got worse for larger vehicles i.e. SUVs but not impacting as much for the saloons.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links