Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hypothetically speaking - What would you do?

If you gave your pride and joy; to a Lexus dealership to service. They didn't disengage the handbrake, didn't wear their seatbelt whilst driving on public roads and on the way back to the dealership, took your car to redline or there abouts assuming a cold engine then brakes before a speed camera. What would you do?

It's a conversation with the dealership manager for a start. But you are in a no-win situation really, they could offer you free servicing etc. but would you really want to go back there again?

Not worth speaking to Lexus GB as they really don't like to get involved unfortunately. 

14 hours ago, dman2004 said:

If you gave your pride and joy; to a Lexus dealership to service. They didn't disengage the handbrake, didn't wear their seatbelt whilst driving on public roads and on the way back to the dealership, took your car to redline or there abouts assuming a cold engine then brakes before a speed camera. What would you do?

A mechanic is not required "there are qualifications" to ware a seatbelt when road testing a car, but failing to use the vehicle in a reasonable manor is something you should bring to the attention of the dealership.

John.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dman2004 said:

First of all, how do you know these things happened?

Secondly, if the 'red line' incident happened on the return to the dealership then the engine wouldn't be cold.

Thirdly, braking before a speed camera is a good thing isn't it?

If it’s ‘just’ a service then stipulate the car does not leave the garage ( take pic of your mileage when dropping it off) and if it does then you need to be informed and will be in attendance.

To answer everyone together, thank you for the advice. I'll be taking this up with the manager then go from there. I'll keep everyone posted. 

@Martin F Not too sure mods would allow me to name and shame the dealership, if im wrong then ill update this. 

@Herbie I've got everything recorded on my dashcam. From the moment I dropped off my car to when I collected it. The only thing it didn't catch was the servicing as the car was turned off. The car was sat from 11am - 4pm, so yes the engine was cold. Of course its a good thing but I don't expect my car to be used like that. 

@Texas Unfortunately for me, the car has to be dropped off at the dealership. A Lexus employee then drives it to their garage to start the service then driven back. 

On 2/10/2020 at 12:08 PM, Britprius said:

A mechanic is not required "there are qualifications" to ware a seatbelt when road testing a car, but failing to use the vehicle in a reasonable manor is something you should bring to the attention of the dealership.

John.

Only if they're Investigating a fault would they be exempt. I wonder what the fault was ?

If it went in for a bog standard service and a spanner decided to rag it for no good reason I'd be speaking with dealer principal and asking for the cost of that service to be refunded. No need for a road test after an oil change for example. In 35 years I've never known any car of mine to need a road test apart from one, a Lexus with a knocking top mount / shock.

The problem the OP may well have is that dealers hate dash cams, mechanics dislike being recorded in their work space (No idea why as plenty of other occupations are) and some dealers have some kind of policy on it - not that it should discourage the OP from taking it up with them. 

1 hour ago, doog442 said:

Only if they're Investigating a fault would they be exempt. I wonder what the fault was ?

If it went in for a bog standard service and a spanner decided to rag it for no good reason I'd be speaking with dealer principal and asking for the cost of that service to be refunded. No need for a road test after an oil change for example. In 35 years I've never known any car of mine to need a road test apart from one, a Lexus with a knocking top mount / shock.

The problem the OP may well have is that dealers hate dash cams, mechanics dislike being recorded in their work space (No idea why as plenty of other occupations are) and some dealers have some kind of policy on it - not that it should discourage the OP from taking it up with them. 

No faults whatsoever, they did the MOT in the morning then did the 60k service straight after. 

If they had any issues with my dashcam, they had my number - could have phoned. But due to it being concealed behind the mirror, I don't think many people notice it. Lets see how this goes.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:07 PM, Martin F said:

As you are in the same area as me I’d be interested to know what dealership this is.

The clue is in the video, the name of the garage is on the video on the top of a big doorway driving from one part of the workshop into a second area. 

Gotta love how grim the 'detailing' area is.

Why did he turn left out of the workshop, to then turn around? - when he could have simply turned right of the workshop!

Is there no direct/back street access from the workshop entrance to the visitor parking area out front?

Good video quality tho, I really should check out those AUKEY's for the wife's car.

7 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

The clue is in the video, the name of the garage is on the video on the top of a big doorway driving from one part of the workshop into a second area. 

What video? Would that be the one that was posted 5 days after I posted and has now been deleted?

Get with it grandad 🙄

12 hours ago, Martin F said:

What video? Would that be the one that was posted 5 days after I posted and has now been deleted?

Get with it grandad 🙄

The video was deleted immediately after I viewed it strangely 🤔

In the video was 🌲🌲🌴🌴🌲🌲

and a blue oval car from Dagenham. 

There was also the name of something bigger than a molehill, but smaller than a mountain