Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speaker quality

What are people’s thoughts on the standard 6 speaker system in the IS300h, I have heard mixed reviews that they are pretty poor for a luxury car. I don’t want power but I definitely want good clarity. What are the upgrade options if they aren’t great?

Thanks

What are people’s thoughts on the standard 6 speaker system in the IS300h, I have heard mixed reviews that they are pretty poor for a luxury car. I don’t want power but I definitely want good clarity. What are the upgrade options if they aren’t great?

Thanks
It's not the best. The problem is that the system is lacking any low down grunt, and the ability to adjust the sound, apart from the standard bass mid and treble control. An EQ would help. When I was looking for an is300h I wish I had listened to one with the 10 speaker system as that is supposed to be quite good! Any how, nothing a 10inch sub and a couple of 6x9s on the rear shelf couldn't fix... [emoji6]

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

I don't think it's that bad, I prefer a balanced response not a fan of the Bose type... Super bass systems.  It does ok for a standard system, better than I thought it would be. 

For me the standard setup is OK but when I drive I see music as a background and keep more active listening to in the home. One thing to note is that the bass, mid, treble is set per source - so e.g. DAB, USB, Bluetooth etc. In general I found raising bass a couple of points and a small reduction in treble (amount depending on source) gave a reasonably balanced sound that was fine to my ears for my purposes. 

if you have the premium nav you have an 8 speaker setup including a sub on the parcel shelf

so there should be a location for a sub without having to cut a hole ,i think the hole is for an 8" sub

if you have the premium nav you have an 8 speaker setup including a sub on the parcel shelf
so there should be a location for a sub without having to cut a hole ,i think the hole is for an 8" sub

It’s weird because every single advert I’ve seen for a used IS300h has mentioned 6 speakers (or ML). I’m not sure if it’s just that nobody bothers with the premium nav in the UK or the listings are incorrect in regard to the speaker quantity.

If it is a 6 speaker setup, is the hole in the parcel shelf still there but blanked off or is it a different shelf without the hole do you know?

Thanks

21 minutes ago, teamaker said:

It’s weird because every single advert I’ve seen for a used IS300h has mentioned 6 speakers (or ML). I’m not sure if it’s just that nobody bothers with the premium nav in the UK or the listings are incorrect in regard to the speaker quantity.

If it is a 6 speaker setup, is the hole in the parcel shelf still there but blanked off or is it a different shelf without the hole do you know?

Thanks

As above, my understanding is that if the IS 300h had Premium Nav (so the mouse controller) then it will have the the additional sub on the rear shelf. If the car has no Nav or the Standard Nav (the rotary dial for entering addresses etc. rather than the mouse controller) then it will have the 6 speaker setup. The grill on the back shelf for the 6 speaker setup looks exactly the same as for the 8 speaker setup but there is no sub speaker underneath it. The grades that had no nav, Standard Nav or Premium Nav were rather mixed up - it was not a simple progression through the grades. Grades with no nav as standard had the option to have a nav fitted, Standard or Premium depending on the grade and then for some grades there was an option to upgrade Standard Nav to Premium Nav too. It is a bit confusing and you will probably only be sure of which Nav (and therefore standard 6 speaker or with additional sub) when you look at an individual car - there isn't any reliable way to know from the trim level. I have an old brochure (for pre-facelift models from circa 2015/16) and have attached the specs from that for each grade that was available at that time which may help. However, this whole area was subject to regular changes so cars later than this brochure may have different standard or optional equipment.

image.thumb.png.468eadb225484212e95545dccc98c507.png

• Like 1

Thanks
The sub hole has a blanking plate fitted. I was also hoping that there would be a wiring loom sitting there ready to go but no... The parcel shelf is fixed and cannot be removed! I found out the hard way. Also the shelf isnt flat and has various ridges and holes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teamaker said:

Thanks

Many of the spec sheets available to the trade don't have the detail of the 8 speaker system. But any nav vehicle will the mouse controller will have the 8 speaker system or the ML system. When the vehicle first launched there was only premium nav, once the lower spec system was introduced I guess the percentage of vehicles sold with premium nav dropped but they are still out there.

Whenever I had a 6 speaker vehicle as a courtesy I always noticed the weak performance compared to the 8 speaker system.

• Like 1

The sub hole has a blanking plate fitted. I was also hoping that there would be a wiring loom sitting there ready to go but no... The parcel shelf is fixed and cannot be removed! I found out the hard way. Also the shelf isnt flat and has various ridges and holes.

So what did you do in the end, just put it back as it was and leave it or did you route a loom?

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

On 2/9/2020 at 10:49 PM, teamaker said:

What are the upgrade options if they aren’t great?

It isn't just the number of speakers. The headunit is different - the base unit is made by Fujitsu Ten, whereas the premium and ML units are Pioneer. The premium system also has an external amp rather than just a headunit integrated one. 

From an upgrade point of view you could change the speakers, and install an amp which could also drive a sub.

So what did you do in the end, just put it back as it was and leave it or did you route a loom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ended up cutting holes in the parcel shelf and making a wooden board to mount my 6x9s on. I used some of the random free captivated nuts in the shelf to bolt it down. Cutting the shelf isnt for the feint hearted though. Only way to do this was with a nibbler mounted on my drill. Worked a treat. I picked up the high level signals from the rear speakers by splicing into the loom where it goes from the cabin into the doors. Tried to unplug the connector from the door but it just wouldn't come out! Would have been a lot easier! My 10inch sub is removable so can be unplugged. A little tip, if you do go down this route buy yourself an auto sensing high level capable amp! Saves trying to find a remote on power supply.

• Like 1

The Mark Levinson system on our 2015 is OK, nothing to get mega excited over. Part of the problem I think is more the lack of physical space in the IS so the sound staging never sounds right.

The Mark Levinson system on a RX loaner was much better, and again in our SUV the sound staging is just better as there is more space. 

I get the feeling the Mark Levinson system in the IS is like a home HiFi system setup in a box room, it doesn't matter how good the speakers are if you haven't got the physical space to work with it never sounds quite right.

The Mark Levinson system on our 2015 is OK, nothing to get mega excited over. Part of the problem I think is more the lack of physical space in the IS so the sound staging never sounds right.
The Mark Levinson system on a RX loaner was much better, and again in our SUV the sound staging is just better as there is more space. 
I get the feeling the Mark Levinson system in the IS is like a home HiFi system setup in a box room, it doesn't matter how good the speakers are if you haven't got the physical space to work with it never sounds quite right.

Makes sense. I have been toying between IS and NX. Sound isn’t a super critical thing for me but it definitely pushes me more towards NX after reading more about it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the IS300h 6 speakers (without ML) and have gone for changing my speakers just to improve the quality of the pretty poor speakers in there.  I found the size of the dash speakers but not sure what the front door speakers size is.  

Would anyone know what size speakers i need to get for the front doors?

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links