Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Corroded brake pipe.

bernieeccles

I have just had my 2009 IS250 in for the MOT and although it passed, I was shown the rear brake pipes where they meet the flexible hoses and the last 2 inches or so were corroded enough to warrant an advisory. We tried to see where they actually went to a union somewhere but couldn't see.

Does anybody know the layout of these rear pipes or have a diagram of the pipe layout ?

If the 250 layout is the same as the ISF ( and it prob is) then a few boys over in the ISF forum have had a nightmare with the rear pipes going rusty and no adjacent unions to make job easier!

From what I have gathered Lexus do not have joints in the pipe work. The Brake pipes run as one piece all the way to the front. The easy way over the problem is to cut, and join the pipes at some covenant point or cut off as little as possible at the rusty end, and pull enough pipe from the run to enable new ends to be fitted.
Changing the pipes from front to rear requires the removal of the rear sub frame, fuel tank, and under trays from memory. The pipes from Lexus are circa £120, and £150 each per pipe.

John.

I had an ISF, and could see clearly where the problem occurs, because mine had modified small exhaust back boxes. Assuming yours follow the same route, there is plenty of room to cut the bad out and join new pipe in. You may though have to drop the exhaust.

I read the post linked by Texas and found "the pedal to the floor" comment highly suspicious. All cars going back many years have dual circuit brakes which surely means if one circuit fails the other is still intact and would provide adequate braking power to halt the car. 

Thanks for the replies and in my case when the weather gets better, I will just cut and join in a new piece of brake pipe using Kunifer to ensure it lasts. No way is it going near a main dealer.

• 6 months later...

Hi, I have a IS 220D and yesterday was told the brake pipes had failed the MOT and that it was a big job and the fuel tank would have to be removed. Could you tell me how you resolved your problem with the lines and at what cost. Regards.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Just to update.

Just had an MOT today and no mention of the small sections of rear brake pipe that I cleaned up and coated with black metal paint. I did redo this a week or so ago when I changed the rear brake pads and when I cleaned off the old paint from 2 years ago, the pipes were still nice and bright so the paint did its job.

So that's 2 MOTs got through having been advised previously that they were perhaps in need of repair.

Cost = zero, just a bit or emery and a bit of paint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2020 at 10:36 PM, bernieeccles said:

I read the post linked by Texas and found "the pedal to the floor" comment highly suspicious. All cars going back many years have dual circuit brakes which surely means if one circuit fails the other is still intact and would provide adequate braking power to halt the car. 

I had a brake caliper fail on a Golf Mk 2 which had dual circuit brakes, the pedal did indeed go pretty much to the floor although there was still braking effect but drastically reduced.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links