Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Left car standing for 4 days and came back to a very sluggish start. Left it running for around 10 minutes then turned off overnight. In the morning it would not start - turned over but not enough juice to get it to start. I thought it may have been the original Battery on the car (2006 model) but after taking it out tonight i have found that its a Toyota fitted one from 2014 (according to the date stamp on the label)

Another one is on order (Bosch S4) - used before and happy with them.

The Battery is off the car as i am charging it to see if it has had it - is 6 years a premature failure for a Battery, i doubt i will use it but will see what it is like when charged (on trickle charge with one of those smart chargers)

• How can i tell if the Battery is goosed - will it lose its charge quick when not on charge?

• Is there any connection method for putting a new one back on (positive first or negative first?) i know these are full of electronics so want to be careful putting it back on. Picture of old Battery below ...

1898584205_LexusBattery10_02_2020.thumb.jpg.2f5de21ec2d484bba01e78aaaf1451ce.jpg

Six years is not bad going and if it hasn't had it,it's on its way out anyway,so you are better off with a  new one. Personally once a Battery is over 5 years its past its best especially with all the modern electronics on cars these days. Some of the new smart chargers tell you the state/condition of your Battery. I usually fit the positive before the negative 

• Thanks 1

You should connect +ve first then -ve. When disconnecting, -ve first and then +ve.

It doesn't make any difference to the vehicle's electronics but it avoids you injuring yourself or harming the Battery by having a spanner on the +ve connection and touching the other end of it to the bodywork which is still connected to -ve - i.e. shorting the Battery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree on the connection sequence.

To tell if it's goosed - hard to tell with home equipment, but most decent car accessory shops will do a Battery test for free and hopefully give you an honest answer!

I wonder who made that Battery? Sure as hell it's not Toyota - in the Czech Republic? Someone making and badging them under contract. Only trust British, German and Japanese batteries as a general rule. It's likely this one is at the end of its life!

If you are a member of any of the breakdown services......call them out and they will get you started but also check the health of the Battery and the alternator.  I have the cheap Autoaid one that covers you in any car (you and the boss) for £60.  Used it 3/4 times and they are great.  Used a Groupon one for my daughter for £20 and they have come out twice and sorted a problem but they do give the car a once over.....oil, water, Battery and alternator check........maybe worth doing.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links