Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Intermittent Power Steering Fault

Hi everybody! New to this platform of forum, I am a member of the Lexus Owners Club UK group on Facebook and have just recently discovered this site - I look forward to seeing everybody's profiles, cars and thoughts!

For the past few months now, I have been having this intermittent power steering fault. I'm not entirely sure what is wrong with the car, I've not heard anybody else have the same issue. It comes and go, I can drive the car for 10hrs and it will not come up or I can drive the car for 5 mins and it will come up and disable my power steering. The car is heavily lowered so could that have a correlation to the issue at hand? I know that the power steering in this vehicle is electric so there is no hydraulic fluid that it could be low of.

The picture attached is for attention (OF COURSE) and is of the car that the issues are present on. Wheel and suspension modifications include BC Racing Extreme Low coilovers, Hardrace Reinforced Drop Links and 18" RAYS Gramlights 57CRs.

Any help is good help, thank you in advance for any assistance that people may be able to provide! 

IMG_1430.JPG

• Like 1

I had a similar issue albeit not on a Lexus. It was on my Honda Civic, check the Battery. If its low on giving voltage it gives funny signals to your car's electronics. 

When the PS fails, if you then the car off and back on again - does the issue persist?

Also not on my IS but on the crappy Focus I had before it - twice I had a "Steering Malfunction" error on the dash and lost power steering.  The first time pootling around town was due to the -5C morning cold and a Battery on it's way out.  The second time was on the A12 and I had to pull over because it was too iffy to continue, then the car wouldn't start because the Battery had finally died.

Most modern cars have electric power steering as opposed to the traditional hydraulic fluid type, when the 12v Battery is on it's last legs it seems the steering, dangerously, is one of the first systems to feel it.  I'd get the 12v Battery tested/charged/replaced and go from there.

How old is the Battery you have in the car right now, if your car is a ‘57 plate then it could quite possibly have the OEM Battery ( a black top Panasonic make), if it is then you have done well with it, if not then there should be a date stamp somewhere on the Battery and that is the first thing I would investigate to ensure is 100% for your (electric) power steering problem.

Note: ensure Battery terminals are nice and tight as the PS will draw a large current and if slightly loose then this will limit current and show up as a fault.

5 hours ago, dman2004 said:

I had a similar issue albeit not on a Lexus. It was on my Honda Civic, check the battery. If its low on giving voltage it gives funny signals to your car's electronics. 

When the PS fails, if you then the car off and back on again - does the issue persist?

Ah, I've never thought to check the Battery before. I'll get that checked out!

Turning it off and on again can make the issue go away. But there have been times where it has come back straight away.

1 hour ago, Texas said:

How old is the battery you have in the car right now, if your car is a ‘57 plate then it could quite possibly have the OEM battery ( a black top Panasonic make), if it is then you have done well with it, if not then there should be a date stamp somewhere on the battery and that is the first thing I would investigate to ensure is 100% for your (electric) power steering problem.

Note: ensure battery terminals are nice and tight as the PS will draw a large current and if slightly loose then this will limit current and show up as a fault.

The Battery isn't even 2 years old yet. It got replaced around May '18, shortly after I purchased the car. The Battery has a guarantee on it though so I'll get it tested and if this is a fault, it'll get taken back to Halfords and replaced. Thanks man!

4 hours ago, Mauler said:

Also not on my IS but on the crappy Focus I had before it - twice I had a "Steering Malfunction" error on the dash and lost power steering.  The first time pootling around town was due to the -5C morning cold and a battery on it's way out.  The second time was on the A12 and I had to pull over because it was too iffy to continue, then the car wouldn't start because the battery had finally died.

Most modern cars have electric power steering as opposed to the traditional hydraulic fluid type, when the 12v battery is on it's last legs it seems the steering, dangerously, is one of the first systems to feel it.  I'd get the 12v battery tested/charged/replaced and go from there.

Thanks very much dude. It is horrific trying to drive with it being turned off. It comes and goes but it can be at any moment which is the worst part, can happen when you least expect it. I'll get my Battery checked out in the morning , thank you !

• Like 1

Unlikely to be the Battery once the vehicle is started as the alternator would be providing the power needed - could be an alternator issue but would expect other issues and warning lights.

I assume you aren't getting the P/S warning light? The power steering ECU has been known to cause issues. The rack also can cause issues but normally that isn't an intermittent issue:

2 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Unlikely to be the battery once the vehicle is started as the alternator would be providing the power needed - could be an alternator issue but would expect other issues and warning lights.

I assume you aren't getting the P/S warning light? The power steering ECU has been known to cause issues. The rack also can cause issues but normally that isn't an intermittent issue:

Once the power steering turns itself off, it comes up on the dash - "P/S" warning light - so I'm not entirely sure.

Quite conceivable that the PS warning would come on as thats where the issue is being reported - you could plug in an OBII reader on the off chance there is an error code stored that relates to the steering issue ... worth a go .

15 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

Quite conceivable that the PS warning would come on as thats where the issue is being reported - you could plug in an OBII reader on the off chance there is an error code stored that relates to the steering issue ... worth a go .

I've tried that and unfortunately nothing comes up, which is surprising. I'm going to run it to a garage and get it on the ramp to check the power steering for any issues.

• 8 months later...

Hi did you manage to find out what the issue was? I'm experiencing the exact same problem on my 2006 is250. I can drive for hours and the issue wont appear but a short trip down the road and the p/s light will turn on. Battery was replaced a few weeks ago. Any suggestions would really be helpful. 

• 5 months later...