DMCC

IS200D - How reliable compared to 220d?

Hi, I am thinking on buying a 2011 IS200D (Not a 220d which seems a lot more common)

I know the 220 gave a lot of problems, but can any one tell me if the 200d is as bad?

The example I am thinking on buying has quite high miles (130k) as it was used for motorway driving but it only has 1 owner and a full lexus service history and in the spec I am after 

As with any newage diesel im guessing DMF/Injectors/DPF/EGR etc are no exception? 

Any advice welcomed, thanks

There has been a lot written about the IS220D and I have owned one with some of the issues well quoted on this forum.    I now own an IS200D F Sport and have had it for 30 months.   I had a few minor issues when I purchased it from Lexus Lincoln but all were dealt with by the dealer and Lexus warranty.  Its now covered 88K.    I advise you to check the vehicle you intend to buy as you would any other,but in my experience the two models are very different.  Fuel economy is not brilliant , low to mid 40's.   There are still some 220-D hang overs, 6th gear is useless unless on the motorway, its far to long legged. But, on the whole my IS200-D F Sport has been a great and very reliable car.  It drives really well, after all , "its a Lexus".   Just my personal experience and I'm sure there will be a number of differing opinions.  I'm going to upgrade my Lexus shortly and will be sad to see this one go and looking forward to my next Lexus.

• Like 1

I can say that I have owned my 200d for over 3yrs and not had a single problem with it, fuel economy isn't the best for a diesel but who cares I love this car and intend keeping it for a few more yrs unless a nice ISF comes along..

• Like 1

I've had some issues  (radiator leak, suspension, brakes) over the years, which would be the same for the petrol variant.....  but no problems from the engine at all so far  (~80k)... I find it pulls well, quiet and comfortable.. no regrets from me.   

I'm looking at changing to the new ES .. but every time I get out of the ES test drives) and back into my IS200d, I remember how much I  love the more responsive engine, rear wheel drive ... struggling to justify spending money on something that doesn't drive as well as my IS.