Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Currently waiting for a flat bed truck to recover my CT.

BoutTime

That’s a strange one for sure. Sorry to hear this.
I’ve had a major emergency stop in mine which was frightening but absolutely nothing happened to it at all.
I can guarantee they’ll come back with they couldn’t find anything and all is normal.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, stormchaser said:

That’s a strange one for sure. Sorry to hear this.
I’ve had a major emergency stop in mine which was frightening but absolutely nothing happened to it at all.
I can guarantee they’ll come back with they couldn’t find anything and all is normal.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's my worry as it will kill my confidence in the car. The car would have been towed onto the flatbed and stored over night. It's possible whatever went wrong was reset somehow. I didn't get any fault lights on the dash at the time of the issue.

It was as if the e-cvt was having trouble engaging into fwd or reverse. That would explain the awful clunking noise when moving off on Battery but not sure about the loud, rough engine noise and associated vibration when the car was in park. See short video below. But this doesn't show the clunking.

I'm assuming the CVT is electrically controlled? Pethaps moisture in a connector or a dislodged connector.

I picked the car up from an airport carpark the previous day where it had sat for a week. But I'd then driven it 160 miles with no issue. For a total of 5 hours.

As there is no mechanical 'engaging and disengaging' with the eCVT transmission it really can only be an electrical glitch. That said there is (I believe) a pressure plate/vibration damper between the engine and the eCVT, perhaps that was slipping?

As suggested before, possibly water ingress into a vital connection?

• Like 1

A pressure plate or damper between the engine and CVT would cause this kind of problem. The Honda Civic has a frequent occurrence of juddering when starting off after being stood for a week or two. The damper is a dry plate and condensation gathers on the plates and it can linger for some time especially in cold weather. Your sudden stop may have activated the damper, allowing moisture into the mechanism. Normal driving wouldn't cause the damper to fully deploy. 

I wouldn't lose faith in the car after one incidence like this, Lexus will find the problem or cause and maybe they won't tell you, but they'll fix it. 

• Like 1

I hope it was in neutral when it went on the flatbed or was it driven on?
I think that when you braked sharply the engine lost vacum and tried to stall but obviously these can’t so the stepper motor kicked in to bring the idle up and probably gave you the chugging rattly noise until vacum built up again hence why it was rough when trying to select any gears.
Powering down does reset a lot things on the CT that’s why they make a noise after you shut them off.
Don’t let this make you lose faith in it as they are a bulletproof car and very reliable.
Mines a 2011 SE L Premier with 103K and I’ve never had anything go wrong at all.
Only 2 recalls and I get it serviced at Lexus Poole every year. Passed all it’s MOT,s with no advisories.
Good luck.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

my word ricky

i noticed your average mpg in your video 29.9 mpg

has it always been that low

in winter i used to return mid 50 mpg up to 63 mpg in summer .

if you normally return a higher mpg this may also be a pointer to

the hybrid system having developed an issue.

44 minutes ago, 200h said:

my word ricky

i noticed your average mpg in your video 29.9 mpg

has it always been that low

in winter i used to return mid 50 mpg up to 63 mpg in summer .

if you normally return a higher mpg this may also be a pointer to

the hybrid system having developed an issue.

No I normally get an average of 54mpg on the school run in winter. I was getting 57mpg at the end of last summer. On the motorway i get upwards of 60mpg. I'd just reset it and also refuel the previous day. Remember it had been running for a bit whilst I was trying to get it going again.

11 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

No I normally get an average of 54mpg on the school run in winter. I was getting 57mpg at the end of last summer. On the motorway i get upwards of 60mpg. I'd just reset it and also refuel the previous day.

Any feedback yet Ricky ?

Just now, royoftherovers said:

Any feedback yet Ricky ?

Yep. Unable to fault. No fault codes present. They had a good look around the car and took it for a drive. They even braked hard but still unable to replicate fault or symptoms shown in video. Lexus Bristol have been great. They even offered to put 100 miles on it to be sure before handing it back to me. It's a bit concerning now as I need to take the car 160 miles to the airport again on Thursday.

Just now, stormchaser said:

I thought this would be the outcome. I don’t think there is anything to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you're right. But having been sat in the car when it decided to throw a wobbly for no known reason I'm not quite as confident as you are. But I do appreciate yours and everyone else's contributions to this thread.

Just some feedback as I know this post attracted a little interest.

I drove the car back home from Bristol this afternoon and so far so good. No issues at all. I have to say Lexus Bristol have been absolutely superb. Very welcoming, the car was handed back to me by the same person that handled my case from start to finish. They've provided a written summary of what they:ve done for my own records and the car was cleaned inside and out.

Will definitely be taking the car back there in the summer when the service is due.

Thanks again for all the comments. Fingers crossed it won't happen again. Cheers.

• Like 6

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 8:27 PM, BoutTime said:

Just some feedback as I know this post attracted a little interest.

I drove the car back home from Bristol this afternoon and so far so good. No issues at all. I have to say Lexus Bristol have been absolutely superb. Very welcoming, the car was handed back to me by the same person that handled my case from start to finish. They've provided a written summary of what they:ve done for my own records and the car was cleaned inside and out.

Will definitely be taking the car back there in the summer when the service is due.

Thanks again for all the comments. Fingers crossed it won't happen again. Cheers.

I don't know how long your warranty has left to run, but if not many months left, ask them to put this issue on file and see if they would repair if out of warranty as told them about fault, before the warranty expired. If they wont I would have another 2 year warranty once initial warranty expires.

Hopefully the fault wont re occur. Most likely updated things and not said possibly?

James.

• Like 1

That's a very good point and one I'd already considered. My current warranty is good for another 7 months and all work performed is on the Lexus system.

If Lexus are still selling 24 month warranties for the price of 12 months I'll be extending the warranty anyway.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JamesIS220 said:

I don't know how long your warranty has left to run, but if not many months left, ask them to put this issue on file and see if they would repair if out of warranty as told them about fault, before the warranty expired. If they wont I would have another 2 year warranty once initial warranty expires.

Hopefully the fault wont re occur. Most likely updated things and not said possibly?

James.

I've just emailed Lexus UK to find out when  is the earliest I can extend the warranty to tag onto my existing warranty. The 2-4-1 pricing looks to be fantastic value and I'm conscious of either prices increasing or it being withdrawn altogether. I've also asked them to clarify the MOT as looking at the small print it pays for x2 MOTs but only on cars with less than 30,000 miles covered.

8 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

I've just emailed Lexus UK to find out when  is the earliest I can extend the warranty to tag onto my existing warranty. The 2-4-1 pricing looks to be fantastic value and I'm conscious of either prices increasing or it being withdrawn altogether. I've also asked them to clarify the MOT as looking at the small print it pays for x2 MOTs but only on cars with less than 30,000 miles covered.

Hi we have 2 4 1 warranty yes you’re correct for 2 free MOTs but you Can only do upto 30k within that 2 year period. It does not mean that cars can be with 30k it needs to be less than 10 years old and have no more than 140k miles. I hope this helps. Furthermore the 2 4 1 will not be withdrawn as it will lock you in to getting your car serviced at the dealership. You can save over £100 if you buy a service plan with the dealers. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, holiday said:

Hi we have 2 4 1 warranty yes you’re correct for 2 free MOTs but you Can only do upto 30k within that 2 year period. It does not mean that cars can be with 30k it needs to be less than 10 years old and have no more than 140k miles. I hope this helps. Furthermore the 2 4 1 will not be withdrawn as it will lock you in to getting your car serviced at the dealership. You can save over £100 if you buy a service plan with the dealers. 

Thanks. Makes it even better value than I thought. I've got to be careful not to hijack my own thread here but did you buy the warranty from Lexus UK direct and then the service plan from the dealer? As don't both include MOTs meaning the saving on the service plan is less?

The lexus warranty and service plan was bought via the dealership. The MOT offer is National and the warranty is also National. The warranty was £495 and a two year service plan was around £600 and this is a dealership network plan and we don’t need to pay anything extra like brake fluid or filter replacements. I hope this helps.

• Thanks 1