Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LC 500 V8 mpg

AJ500

Having completed over 1K miles in my LC I have regularly checked my mpg properly and it has averaged 29.2 mpg overall. This is many journeys of 10 to 60 miles including town/city.

I reckon that’s pretty impressive for a heavy car and a V8 motor. Contrary to what it may look like,I do not just poodle about and it did take me a while to master an incredibly sensitive throttle.The merest feathering produces a dramatic improvement in consumption and I used the meter in the car to monitor this.Now it’s just normal to drive it how I want.

Buying a V8 and worrying about economy is not the issue,I just thought anyone considering buying one might be interested to know they can achieve these figures and obviously a lot more on a long run.

Most of my journeys are 4/6 miles so this time of the year it doesn't even get warm, getting 17mpg, in the summer it goes up to 19mpg, on a 300 mile round trip, mostly motorway i got a impressive 34 mpg.

• 3 weeks later...

done several long motoway journies (300mile+ and ihave over half a tank indicated left. MPG guage as an average show 40+. My best recorded (got the pics somewhere...) is 43mpg over about 250miles. That was 70mph all the time i wasnt in a 50mph average limit.

If i am on motoway my mpg 'bar chart' is always maxxed out, as it cant go over 40, apparently. 

The other day while under track conditions (sport+, manual mode, not coming below 4,000rpm, in and out of apex's) i was drinking about a litre a mile, about 4mpg on the charts.

.... half a tank lasted me about 20minutes, basically

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 3:34 PM, malcolmw said:

I typically get 24 - 25 mpg out of mine on mixed journeys.

us "  long in the tooth "  and long standing V8 owners see these typical mpg's too, and up to the early 30's on really really good runs sometimes

Guess the Lexus / Toyota V8's are good at carrying these heavy loads around in some really economic fashion ...  and with some aged engines too, mines 228k miles and nigh on 25 years young  

It's what we've come to expect 

Long live the Toyota V8 :wink3:

Malc

• Like 1