Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parking Sensor Issue

I have a persistant issue with the parking sensors on my MY2018 Lexus NX where by an alarm comes up on the dash stating "Parking Assist Unavailable Clean Parking Sensors" no matter how much cleaning is done the alarm will not clear but will clear spontaniously after a period time, these are smart sensors. the issue has been occuring for over a year

Lexus have made 4 attempts to resolve the issue, resucuring the front number plate and making adjustments to the software, Lexus Cardiff have stated that they have seen the issue on other cars and applied a repair that they had used before but with no resolution. Lexus GB have said that they have identified a software issue with the parking sensor ECU and reflashed the ECU again with no resolution.

The appearance of the alarm cannot be predicted and it will stay up, disabling the parking sensors between 15 minutes and several days, it does however appear to be more common in damp weather and continues for a few day after being driven in the wet even if there is no further rain. Has anyone else had a similar experiance?

I also have a MY2018 NX and have had a similar issue on about 3 occasions. It's always been during wet weather however each time the problem has "cured" itself within a few minutes and so have never raised the matter with the dealer. 

Here is the thread from the ES forum. Looks like this is an issue across the range.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/119836-parking-sensor-issue/

Famous last words, but I've only had this issue once, for about two minutes, one one of my NXs. Now it will happen next time I use the car, obviously!

I did have a very similar issue on my 2012 Honda Accord, and my 2015 CRV, but only in very heavy rain.

I've had this issue on my NX too with similar symptoms. So far 2 front parking sensors have been replaced under warranty, both in the grille. The dealer says it does register a fault in the ECU, so no arguments on the warranty replacement.

At the moment, I'm not certain if the new parking sensors are a permanent fix or a temporary one. I'm hoping it's a batch of faulty sensors so I won't see any future problems.

Yep, same issue here too, NX300h 2019 model which has probably shown this issue intermittently five or six times now, nothing I can do actually clears it, it seems to just go away and re-appear mainly if it rains. The car is in for a first service at Bolton Lexus this week, so it will be mentioned and I will ask them to check the car's error log for proof.

Good news so far on my replacement sensors, after the heavy rain at the weekend I've had no sign of issues with them this week. Let's hope it stays that way!

I did manage to get a quick video of the sensors going off with nothing in front of the car to show the dealer, but apart from showing them the problem they didn't really use it. It might help if your dealer tries to argue or doesn't find a fault though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

NX 300 F-Sport, bought late October 2019. Sensors have been an issue since the car was 5 months old. Just had its first service (having done just over 3000 miles). The sensors were working again after service but within 24 hours sensors were flagging up the same issue. That’s 3 times sensors apparently have been ‘fixed’ so it’s back to the dealer to try to resolve the problem. Fingers and toes crossed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 3:44 PM, malcolmw said:

Have you tried the "Vaseline Fix"? It worked on our NX. (so far!)

Sorry, Malcolm can you clarify please  "Vaseline fix"? This problem has occurred on my 2019 NX the last two days, and it's driving me mental, seemed to start when the car got splashed with dirty water by a passing lorry in rain, now it won't go away (just for a few minutes at a time) and if it wasn't for the great big amber warning light that you can't get rid of, it wouldn't be so bad!!

Any of you other guys found a permanent fix for this yet?? My dealer is 65 miles away and the last thing I want is repetitive visits to get it sorted...

Take a look at this thread:

The "fix" is about half way down page 1.

It's very simple. you dry off the sensors and you just smear a very small amount of Vaseline over them. Wipe off any excess.

It's still working for me (fingers crossed).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have had problems with the Parking Assist In unavailable appearing on a regular basis mainly when it is wet weather. It is driving me nuts!!! I am taking the car back to the Tunbridge Wells dealership for the third time. It is dangerous when driving particularly at night. You are unable to see the Sat nav map if this problem occurs on the dash. I hope we can resolve as I think the car is fantastic & I'm a big fan of Lexus & the after care. They have been very understanding & helpful but the issue is  frustrating nonetheless.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MDT one said:

I have had problems with the Parking Assist In unavailable appearing on a regular basis mainly when it is wet weather. It is driving me nuts!!! I am taking the car back to the Tunbridge Wells dealership for the third time. It is dangerous when driving particularly at night. You are unable to see the Sat nav map if this problem occurs on the dash. I hope we can resolve as I think the car is fantastic & I'm a big fan of Lexus & the after care. They have been very understanding & helpful but the issue is  frustrating nonetheless.

I used to have this issue but as malcolmw says above a small smear of vaseline or a tiny wipe over with silicone spray stops it. (Not wd40).  I used Halfords silicone spray and not had this issue since.

On 11/14/2020 at 3:53 PM, malcolmw said:

Take a look at this thread:

The "fix" is about half way down page 1.

It's very simple. you dry off the sensors and you just smear a very small amount of Vaseline over them. Wipe off any excess.

It's still working for me (fingers crossed).

Great tip this one. I’ll be sure to try this when needed. Cheers! 👍

On 2/15/2020 at 8:04 PM, Steaming Nigel said:

I have a persistant issue with the parking sensors on my MY2018 Lexus NX where by an alarm comes up on the dash stating "Parking Assist Unavailable Clean Parking Sensors" no matter how much cleaning is done the alarm will not clear but will clear spontaniously after a period time, these are smart sensors. the issue has been occuring for over a year

Lexus have made 4 attempts to resolve the issue, resucuring the front number plate and making adjustments to the software, Lexus Cardiff have stated that they have seen the issue on other cars and applied a repair that they had used before but with no resolution. Lexus GB have said that they have identified a software issue with the parking sensor ECU and reflashed the ECU again with no resolution.

The appearance of the alarm cannot be predicted and it will stay up, disabling the parking sensors between 15 minutes and several days, it does however appear to be more common in damp weather and continues for a few day after being driven in the wet even if there is no further rain. Has anyone else had a similar experiance?

I have & it's driving me nuts! It is also dangerous as you are unable to see the map (sat nav) when driving. Also flashing orange lights do nothing to help your concentration when driving at night. 

7 hours ago, Steve Oliver said:

You can't!

I’d better check mine! I assumed it was the same as an IS where you can temporarily disable the sensors using the switch. Haven’t needed to switch mine off on my NX. Shows how much I know! 😂

It's really irritating - you can switch off the "Assist" part, so it doesn't brake for you but the sensors still insist on trying to assist you! And the warning message comes back 10 seconds after you "acknowledge it". 😡

11 hours ago, Steve Oliver said:

Having said that, if I'm wrong, do please let me know! 🤔

I think I am. Haven’t been out in the car yesterday and today. I’m intrigued. I’ve had two NX so I really should know this! 😂