Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2nd Gen GS430 - 2003

B1218 - Has anyone had this code before and managed to fix it? It's Body ECU Number 2 Communication Stop. Stored in current codes on Techstream.

I've checked that it's all plugged in and that the fuse for it is in good shape and all appears fine. Thinking I'll just get another ECU and swap it out. I've done some forum/Google trawling and it seems to be a semi-common problem but no confirmed solution! Any info welcome.

Awesome, thank you for that PDF mate. I'll do the checks it recommends and report back.

I don't think the headlights do come on without ignition on but I'll double check.

If I do replace the ECU, is it just a straight swap or will it need reprogramming/pairing to the car?

Awesome, thank you for that PDF mate. I'll do the checks it recommends and report back.

I don't think the headlights do come on without ignition on but I'll double check.

If I do replace the ECU, is it just a straight swap or will it need reprogramming/pairing to the car?

Don't suppose you have any clear pictures of the ECU in question do you? I've stripped out the LH footwell fuse box and the module on the back doesn't look the same as the PDF

1581852587352655246698458942279.jpg

If you do conclude that the ecu is faulty, you could explore the route of getting it rebuilt - various people on-line offer this - search Lexus Ecu rebuild. If you can get it rebuilt it would be way cheaper than a new one, which is likely to cost the best part of £1000.

You may be able to get a second hand one from a scrapper.

Thank you for the input mate. I've seen a few online from breakers etc and they aren't overly expensive (£40 or so) but then I do run the risk of another faulty unit so I will probably have a look in to having it rebuilt and see what the cost is like. I would be quite surprised if they were still available brand new and even more surprised if I could afford one haha!

Have done some more digging and I was trying to remove the right part (thankfully) so I'll get it whipped out and inspect it then replace it/refurb. I will keep this thread up to date. Thank you all for your help so far, it is greatly appreciated. I can't wait to have my 430 back together and back on the road!

On 2/16/2020 at 10:33 AM, ColinBarber said:

Either the ECU or wiring fault. Possibly electrolytic capacitors in the ECU, if there are any, or wiring corrosion.

CIB12181.PDF 30.08 kB · 3 downloads

It seems a little unclear from the PDF but is body ECU 2 on the drivers side or passenger side (RHD car)?

I have assumed passenger side as it's that junction box that has the fuse for body ECU 2. Part number on module is 123300-4700 but it is labelled as MPX Body No 1 which makes me think I'm barking down the wrong footwell!

Thank you for that Colin. I think I will strip out the driver side footwell/Rh and access that module too as the one in my passenger/left footwell is stamped as MPX body number 1 so it makes sense to me that that would be Body ECU 1

• 3 weeks later...

Body ECU 2 replaced and unfortunately still no joy. Waiting for my knackered laptop to charge up so I can plug techstream in. Praying it's just still got error codes stored stopping full function but not holding out hope. Have plugged my instrument cluster (combination meter) back in as it seems to form part of the same circuit in the hopes it would make the whole system happy. Will update when I get Techstream on it

No luck unfortunately. These are the codes still stored in current and don't clear. Problems are still exactly the same as they were before replacing Body ECU 2 so that appears so have achieved sweet FA unfortunately!

At a bit of a loose end now

IMG_20200311_203234.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello Cameron,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread - but my '01 GS300 mk2 is suffering similar codes & symptoms. All seem to have come at the same time; I have

B1261 Engine ECU communication stop

B1262 Air conditioner ECU communication stop

B1266 Instrument panel system communication bus circuit short to Battery (+)

B1271 Combination meter ECU communication stop

B1273 Sliding roof ECU communication stop

B1281 Airbag ECU communication stop

That group was my latest scan from my Autel scanner; they're hard codes in that you can clear them, and they come straight back. The group I had before that was:

B1211

B1212

B1213

B1218

B1271

Did you get this fixed on yours in the end - what was the source of the issue?

Best,

John

26 minutes ago, kayble said:

Hello Cameron,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread - but my '01 GS300 mk2 is suffering similar codes & symptoms. All seem to have come at the same time; I have

B1266 Instrument panel system communication bus circuit short to battery (+)

That group was my latest scan from my Autel scanner; they're hard codes in that you can clear them, and they come straight back. The group I had before that was:

B1211

B1212

B1213

B1218

B1271

Best,

John

Hi John,

Mine is behaving itself these days but unfortunately I don't know exactly what the original issue was being caused by. 

I had quite a lot of the interior stripped out and when I put it all back together properl it just seemed to work again. I had the head unit, ac controls, centre dash vents, gauge cluster, VSC switch, heated seat switches and ETC switch all unplugged. Do you have anything like that stripped out of the car at the moment?

3 hours ago, Camsnape said:

Hi John,

Mine is behaving itself these days but unfortunately I don't know exactly what the original issue was being caused by. 

I had quite a lot of the interior stripped out and when I put it all back together properl it just seemed to work again. I had the head unit, ac controls, centre dash vents, gauge cluster, VSC switch, heated seat switches and ETC switch all unplugged. Do you have anything like that stripped out of the car at the moment?

nothing at the present time - just a Kenwood double din unit to replace the factory head unit - that's been in for yonks now without problems... really weird.

3 hours ago, kayble said:

nothing at the present time - just a Kenwood double din unit to replace the factory head unit - that's been in for yonks now without problems... really weird.

That is very unusual. It could be worth doing a Battery voltage check if you haven't already. I did end up replacing my 12v Battery and alternator but I'm not sure if that was causing the body ecu to freak out or a separate issue.

9 hours ago, kayble said:

Hello Cameron,

B1266 Instrument panel system communication bus circuit short to battery (+)

B1211

B1212

B1213

B1218

B1271

Best,

John

If you have all those issues it looks like one of the components on the BEAN network is pulling down the MPX communication bus which means none of the components can talk to each other. Really the only way forward is to disconnect each device one at a time until things start communicating again.

image.thumb.png.13827d6622819dbf8b0a9198c27e0ae2.png