Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre brands?

Fishboy

I'm in the market for two new rear 245/45 R17's . Over 80k I've had Pirelli PZeros (horrible when half worn, Goodyear Efficientgrip (excellent and lasted ages) and Avon ZR7 (fantastic but don't last). Just been looking at Hankook and Nexen which both get good reviews. Any recommendations?

• Like 1

Over the years I've had many (many!) brands of mid-market and premium tyre, and only one really disappointed which was Vredestein. They were truly awful - poor grip, noisy and poor tread life. Despite that, they're highly reviewed online so maybe I was unlucky?

Personal best experiences have been with Falken - my 'go to' brand now, where I can find sizes to fit - and Dunlop.

Pirelli nothing special but ok, same with Michelin. Yokohamas (my current Summer tyres) just average, and noisy, although I ran Yokos on an Accord a few years ago and they were excellent.

Current Bridgestone Blizzak Winter tyres are very good indeed, my first experience of the brand.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My go-to tyres are the ZX7s.  I'm not so concerned with mileage as my annual mileage these days seldom exceeds 7K miles.  I get 15K miles from the rears (RX450h) and about 8K  miles from the fronts, so not great but what I wouldn't trade for anything is the great handling, low noise and fantastic wet weather grip these things have (the best tyres in wet conditions I've ever used).  For my bike's I've always used the adage "safety before economy" when it came to tyres so have always fitted the grippiest and best handling tyres I could.

I recently looked at pricing and got 4 ZX7s fitted and balanced for £520.  They might not last as long as Primacy's or Cross Climate's but I swear by them.  

I do quite like the Falkens on mine .....  but all imported tyres might be a little challenging to find the marque you're looking for right now

Malc

• 7 months later...

On my IS300, I have largely stuck to Potenzas, with occasional P zeros, but probably prefer the Potenzas. For winter tyres, we have used Kumho Izen on four different vehicles now - two different Landcruisers, an Auris and an Audi A6 Allroad, all with good results on-road and in mud/snow; they're probably not as good as Michelin CrossClimate+, but come in a wider range of sizes, and are a good compromise to use all year round if you're lazy.

"Just been looking at Hankook and Nexen which both get good reviews. Any recommendations?"

There were brand-new Nexen on my Landcruiser when I bought it (used car); they seemed perfectly serviceable, and hadn't really worn at all by the time I put winter tyres on it four months later, I guess the tyre dealer did well on re-selling them as 'part-worn'! (The Kumho Izen that I put on it are going strong nearly four years and 40K miles later). Have used Hankook in the past on other cars, again, seemed perfectly serviceable. My mum has Hankook on her Yaris, they seem very reasonably-priced and stable, especially as she drives every where at warp speed. (She complains about the price, but then the Yaris costs about £2.50 per year to run!)

• 2 weeks later...

I've just invested in a couple of Bridgestone Turanza T005's for the rear. Have read that the Turanza is considered a touring tyre and the Potenza is for performance. Not entirely sure what the difference actually is as they both seem to boast good grip and handling. On previous cars I've sworn by Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric's so it will be interesting to see if I notice any difference. 🤔

Have never tried the Turanza. The Potenzas are good when new, but wear quite quickly - usually toe-in wear on the front (despite geometry), and general wear on the back. on 'older' Potenzas, the car tends to spin the driven wheels in damp / wet conditions, eg pulling out of junctions, but I've always thought this to be a characteristic of the car. Would be interested in trying the Turanzas; as much as it is fun to go sideways, it's nice if it happens in a predictable way. I suspect I will need new tyres very soon, so will be interested to see what you think of the Turanzas.

• 4 months later...
On 3/17/2020 at 4:41 PM, GSLV6 said:

My go-to tyres are the ZX7s.  I'm not so concerned with mileage as my annual mileage these days seldom exceeds 7K miles.  I get 15K miles from the rears (RX450h) and about 8K  miles from the fronts, so not great but what I wouldn't trade for anything is the great handling, low noise and fantastic wet weather grip these things have (the best tyres in wet conditions I've ever used).  For my bike's I've always used the adage "safety before economy" when it came to tyres so have always fitted the grippiest and best handling tyres I could.

I recently looked at pricing and got 4 ZX7s fitted and balanced for £520.  They might not last as long as Primacy's or Cross Climate's but I swear by them.  

^^ Just ordered these for my NX. My mileage is also low, and these will be Summer use only as I have a separate set of Winter wheels and tyres. I’d have normally gone with Falken, but they’re increasingly not the bargain they once were - in fact some of the online websites now list them as a ‘premium’ rather than as a ‘mid-market’ brand. Certainly at £30 per tyre cheaper than the Falken, I thought the Avon were worth a shot based on reviews.