Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450H Torque steer

Does anybody suffer from torque steer on their RX450h?

I know the weather is rubbish at the moment but a couple of times today had that violent tug from the wheel when attempting to pull out a junction quickly. Most of my cars have been rear wheel drive so this is a new sensation for me

Is there a way to lock the car in 4 wheel drive mode to reduce the torque steer? Don't think it's an issue with the tyres as its running Bridestone Duelers all round, although I'm open to suggestions.

Yes Series 3 cars do suffer with torque steer before the traction control snaps in. 

Michelin cross climates certainly helped when I had mine. 

It will be of no consolation for me to tell you my series 4 car is less skittish as it is like yours on Bridgestone Duelers. 

I don't think there is a way of locking car into 4 wheel drive.  There is no mechanical connection between the front and rear wheels, the latter being powered by electric motor only.  There is a 'snow' mode on my car but this is probably for slow speed movement in snow conditions.  I have not used mine so perhaps somebody who has  could comment on it's use.

I have usually had RWD cars but have not noticed significant 'torque steer' on my 3rd series RX, maybe because I don't drive it like my BMW.  In fact on Cross Climates I think it drives and steers quite well for a top heavy  SUV which performs adequately on today's crowded roads.    

I have a series 3 and yes, it does suffer torque steer. However, the severity is largely dependant on which tyres are fitted.

When I first got the car, it was fitted with Pirelli Scorpions on the front and the torque steer was frightening. When these wore out, I replaced them with Goodyear Eagle F1 and the torque steer virtually disappeared. However, the wear rate of these tyres was not very good and they lasted about 16k miles.

I replaced them with Vredestein Quatrac 5 which are quite good regards torque steer and are wearing much better than the Goodyear's. I plan to replace these with the Michelin Cross Climate SUV when they wear. I have recently fitted the Cross Climate to the rear of the car and the difference in grip was immediately noticeable - it feels like the back end of the car is on rails! I am quite confident that these will be perfect on the front.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

There is a 'snow' mode on my car but this is probably for slow speed movement in snow conditions.  I have not used mine so perhaps somebody who has  could comment on it's use.

The snow mode worked very well this time last year when I had to collect a cake from a hilly and snowy location. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Johntechx said:

I have a series 3 and yes, it does suffer torque steer. However, the severity is largely dependant on which tyres are fitted.

When I first got the car, it was fitted with Pirelli Scorpions on the front and the torque steer was frightening. When these wore out, I replaced them with Goodyear Eagle F1 and the torque steer virtually disappeared. However, the wear rate of these tyres was not very good and they lasted about 16k miles.

I replaced them with Vredestein Quatrac 5 which are quite good regards torque steer and are wearing much better than the Goodyear's. I plan to replace these with the Michelin Cross Climate SUV when they wear. I have recently fitted the Cross Climate to the rear of the car and the difference in grip was immediately noticeable - it feels like the back end of the car is on rails! I am quite confident that these will be perfect on the front.

Thanks for the input John, seems these Michelin Cross Climates are nw the tyre of choice 

On 2/16/2020 at 6:53 PM, Prince Bob said:

Does anybody suffer from torque steer on their RX450h?

I know the weather is rubbish at the moment but a couple of times today had that violent tug from the wheel when attempting to pull out a junction quickly. Most of my cars have been rear wheel drive so this is a new sensation for me

Is there a way to lock the car in 4 wheel drive mode to reduce the torque steer? Don't think it's an issue with the tyres as its running Bridestone Duelers all round, although I'm open to suggestions.

Yeah, get it on my RX400h... Found it was worse if the tyres were overinflated, if that's any help.

On 2/17/2020 at 1:36 PM, olliesgrandad said:

The snow mode worked very well this time last year when I had to collect a cake from a hilly and snowy location. 

Thank for you for confirmation of snow mode Les.  Was the collection of a cake from a hilly and snowy location part of a Top Gear challenger LOL ?

17 hours ago, Farnham Dave said:

Yeah, get it on my RX400h... Found it was worse if the tyres were overinflated, if that's any help.

Torque steer definitely worse on the 400h compared to the 450h, but still there on the newer models. You have 200+ bhp going to the front wheels if you put your foot down.

4 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Thank for you for confirmation of snow mode Les.  Was the collection of a cake from a hilly and snowy location part of a Top Gear challenger LOL ?

No for a small boys birthday 🎂 Location was in Minchinhampton. Then drove across the common for a coffee at The Old Lodge. 

19 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

No for a small boys birthday 🎂 Location was in Minchinhampton. Then drove across the common for a coffee at The Old Lodge. 

Ah, the things we do for young ones.  Trust cake was enjoyed. Good to know your car responded as it did.  Haven't seen snow settle for more than a few minutes here in our part of North Devon in the 8+ years that we have lived here but we do live on a 1 in 7 hill off main route so extra traction could be needed someday.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links