Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nav option or use Apple Car Play - help me decide!

I’m narrowing down my choice of new UX, and a couple of dealers (and most reviews) acknowledge that the standard Navigation is pretty poor.  I’m coming from a Volvo with a huge portrait screen so it’s a significant loss.  

The suggestion is not to specify Nav and therefore save £850 - as long as I’m happy to plug in my Iphone on every trip I want maps.  When I took a 24 hour test drive last week I had a basic UX with Nav. I didn’t find it too bad even though the screen is tiny, because the useful directions are in the instrument binnacle.  I think I’d miss having Nav on board.  (I can even get use to roads being described as “the A four thousand and thirty-two” rather than A four zero three two!)

What did you choose and why?  Particularly interested if you use CarPlay and prefer it to the built in system. 

Thanks in advance.

Up until now CarPlay hasn't been an option so most people would have gone with some form of in-built nav.

I'd go with CarPlay, I don't believe any in-built system from any manufacturer can compete. If you don't like apple Maps you can use Google Map or Waze etc using CarPlay.

Thanks, Colin.  I think I need to get a real life demo of it, with my phone.  

That said, I’m trying to find a way to afford a Premium Plus package (as it’s called in the UK) which includes Lexus Navigation.  On the F Sport it also brings the 10.3” screen, so that my current aim, I think.  Then, if I ultimately prefer apple Maps, Waze, Google or whatever, then I have a choice.  

In the end we’ve decided on an F Sport with the Premium Plus pack, so we get the Lexus Navigation and CarPlay.  It’ll be interesting to experiment and compare in due course. It’s not arriving until June!

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a Nav update coming to retrofit Apple or Android car play to 2019 UX's? I thought I read somewhere that this is a possibility in the next few months?

I can’t find the article now but a friend who just bought an NX was told by the dealer that an update was coming May 2020 to add CarPlay functionality to their car. The UX will likely be the same as CarPlay is a listed feature of the 2019 UX

Car Play Apps are imperfect.

My NX Nav is clear & works perfectly although the Speed Camera audible Warning is too quiet.

My Aygo X-Cite has Car Play.

apple Maps are excellent but lack Speed Cameras

Waze does not Re Route

Google Maps are Basic & visual Camera Location is a small orange icon.

Tel

15 hours ago, Tel said:

Waze does not Re Route

Waze definitely does re-route. I use Waze on my phone when I know that my NX Nav is sending me on a bad route, particularly when it involves the M25. I find Waze slightly better than Google Maps for finding those odd-looking little back routes than can get you around localised traffic jams.

I find the NX Nav routing strange. Today I drove from Ealing to Coventry and the Nav route was to go through a 30 minute delay on the M1 (which it was telling me about) with overall delays of around an hour. I checked Google Maps before I left, so I knew the M40 was pretty much clear once you got past the M25 and once I'd persuaded the Nav that my route was better, my arrival time dropped by nearly an hour. It does this regularly, so I've learnt not to totally trust it in heavy traffic.

I'm intending to add CarPlay to my NX when it's released.

Keith,

Waze only Re-Routes if the selected route off Piste so to speak is judged better than the one Waze prefers.

My Expectation to Equal the Premium Nav has failed

The apple Mapping is very good but for the last 20 years I have set the Destination @ the start & switching between Options just does not appeal.

So X-Cite is set to apple & the NX Nav is set for 99% of journeys

Tel

The built in nav works well on my NX, but it is far too slow in identifying delays and avoiding them. I find it fine for long distance M-way journeys, but I find Google Maps far more reliable and responsive for shorter, B road and city based trips. Unfortunately, my current car cannot be retrofitted, but compatibility with Google Maps/Android Auto will be a deal breaker for my next car.

On 3/5/2020 at 6:21 AM, Tel said:

My NX Nav is clear & works perfectly although the Speed Camera audible Warning is too quiet.

Apple Maps are excellent but lack Speed Cameras

Google Maps are Basic & visual Camera Location is a small orange icon.

For those grappling with the lack of reliable speed camera alerts that can be seen and heard clearly, I can definitely recommend a smartphone App called "TomTom Amigo".

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.speedcams.android.map

[My phone is an Android phone so not sure if there is an apple version of the App]

It uses the phone's GPS location services to emit a warning (either via a simple beep or a more descriptive verbal alert) when approaching a camera. 

I'm very impressed with it's accuracy and reliability. The warnings can be configured to arrive via the phone's Bluetooth connection to the car, so can be played through the car's speakers. Even when playing audio at the same time, the warnings can be heard clearly. The App can be set to auto-start when a Bluetooth connection to the car is made. It has the option to display as a small widget which can be overlaid on other running apps such as Google Maps; etc.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 7:04 AM, Tel said:

Keith,

Waze only Re-Routes if the selected route off Piste so to speak is judged better than the one Waze prefers.

Tel

If I read you correctly, you're saying that Waze re-routes automatically due to a traffic problem, but you can't make it re-route manually. If so, it's not something I've tried, so I take your point. It is a slightly different statement to Waze does not re-route though.

Ultimately, I don't think any of them are perfect, I've just found Waze to be the best for me when I use it. Whether I switch to Waze via CarPlay, when I get it, for every journey will depend on whether I get used to plugging my phone in every time, or if I find another solution.

I have premium navigation and normally use it in conjunction with Tom Tom. 

2 weeks ago the car warned me of a closed road due to the flooding in Bridgnorth which the Tom Tom didn't identify.. 

But TomTom live speed cameras is very good and with lifetime mapping is as up to date as possible. 

Waze does not ReRoute because the Route it selects is that that is used by 99% of its Clients.

If you read the Spec.,

when you deviate, the AP checks if your decision is better & will only Re Route if that is the case.

I trust my Lexus Nav in many European Cities but Waze's inability to Re-Route in Rural Countryside disappoints me.

Tel

I've never had any issues with the Premium nav in my NX, but as with most things, personal preference is everything. I've owned a Garmin nav unit which I hated, and used the 'old' Honda system which looked old fashioned but worked brilliantly. Over on HondaKarma that system used to be criticised because of the way it looked rather than because of the way it worked. Weird. 

I get the chance to use a variety of hire cars, and the Lexus system stands up well based on what I've seen. Younger people with whom I work all favour navigation 'apps' that they can access through their mobile telephones, and all claim them to be superior to any built in system - Waze is the 'app' of choice amongst them - but actual use of them against built in systems hasn't proved much to me other than a) they all do the same job; b) none have ever done anything really daft, and; c) using the built in system is much neater.

14 hours ago, Tel said:

Waze does not ReRoute because the Route it selects is that that is used by 99% of its Clients.

If you read the Spec.,

when you deviate, the AP checks if your decision is better & will only Re Route if that is the case.

I trust my Lexus Nav in many European Cities but Waze's inability to Re-Route in Rural Countryside disappoints me.

Tel

Sorry, confused. In one sentence you say it does not re-route, then a couple of sentences later you say it does re-route if it decides your route is better.

Waze definitely does re-route due to traffic conditions, otherwise having traffic information would be pointless and I therefore would not use it. If you are trying to force it to use a route that you prefer vs its selected route, then I agree that it will generally try and get you to go back onto its selected route until you've gone so far down the new route that it makes more sense to stay on your route. But all Sat Navs do this, including the Lexus one. My NX will insist I use the M1/M25 when I go down south until I've gone far enough down the A46 for it to decide the M40 is the better option because in theory, the M1 is quicker until the traffic builds up. I can't force it to use the M40 unless it is the quickest, shortest or most eco-friendly route.

If this is not what you are trying to say, then I apologise but I'm not following you.

Ed,

I agree totally but the Lexus/Toyota Forums & the Club Lexus Forum all rave about Waze so much that I was really looking forward to the May Up-Date on our cars.

My Aygo X-CIte experience has somewhat dampened my enthusiasm.

Tel

• 2 weeks later...

Have got my UX booked in on the 30th for its first service. Received confirmation on what they are doing and it included the following

Code: MEC
Time: 01.00
Price: £0.00
Details: INSTALL apple CAR PLAY IF AVAILABLE PLEASE LET CUSTOMER KNOW IN ADVANCE IF AVAILABLE HOW LONG

So it looks like it is possibly available and FOC.

I will let you know if it does get done.

John

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links