Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Top 3 things about your ISF

4 hours ago, Mincey said:

Franz begins to flash his lights in an impatient attempt to get you to move out of his way.

"I'm not having that Fritz" you think and you push your right foot down. The speed climbs. 70, 80, 90. 

One thing for sure - you should not be doing 70 on autobahn... especially in outside lane. So you situation is just not realistic. The trucks in the first lane would be overtaking at such snail pace... and Fritz wouldn't even have time to flash you before crashing into the back at some 140MPH+... 

2 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

One thing for sure - you should not be doing 70 on autobahn... especially in outside lane. So you situation is just not realistic. The trucks in the first lane would be overtaking at such snail pace... and Fritz wouldn't even have time to flash you before crashing into the back at some 140MPH+... 

You can tell that I have never driven on an Autobahn...

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

Have you not? 

No, I've only been driven by a colleague from Kelsterbach to Phillipsburg and the car was German spec so the speedometer did not make any sense :-)

If it was showing 250, then you are alright...

On the serious note the speed there is 130 (which works out at 81MPH)... and hardly anyone drivers slower than that. What pisses me the most (in UK) is that we have no lane discipline whatsoever... That is why it is so relaxing to drive in Germany - you don't even need to flash people, because most of the time they will overtake and go back into correct lane. That is why 70MPH start from outside lane sounds so unrealistic...

Although that said british lack of discipline shows even in Germany, so perhaps you not so wrong... I actually remember few occasions of car being stuck in outside lane like sore thumb.. and you closing in on it for the moment of realisation ... "******* brit... that is why!".

Just randomly found this one - I guess I would call it "genuine reaction" and you can actually see @0:18 they are doing ~130 and straight after overtaking goes back right into first lane:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

If it was showing 250, then you are alright...

On the serious note the speed there is 130 (which works out at 81MPH)... and hardly anyone drivers slower than that. What pisses me the most (in UK) is that we have no lane discipline whatsoever... That is why it is so relaxing to drive in Germany - you don't even need to flash people, because most of the time they will overtake and go back into correct lane. That is why 70MPH start from outside lane sounds so unrealistic...

Although that said british lack of discipline shows even in Germany, so perhaps you not so wrong... I actually remember few occasions of car being stuck in outside lane like sore thumb.. and you closing in on it for the moment of realisation ... "******* brit... that is why!".

Just randomly found this one - I guess I would call it "genuine reaction" and you can actually see @0:18 they are doing ~130 and straight after overtaking goes back right into first lane:

130 is an enforcer speed limit on SOME autobahn NOT all, having lived in Germany yes it’s massively disciplined and has MASSIVE on the spot fines for those that exceed it (especially weather enforced limits).......there are still lots of autobahn that the speed limit doesn’t apply. 👍🏻 

Well, actually 130 is "recommended" national speed limit in entire Germany even on unlimited autobahn. Meaning that if you have crash @200MPH you insurance may not pay and you can get fined etc.

Regarding massive fine - it depends on your perspective - 10km/h fine is 10 Euro, wheres in UK that would be £100 + 3 points + you will never get insurance ever again! 30 km/h - 30 Euro... and even for 70km/h over it is 680EUR... In UK that is £1000 and 6 point and you can even get jail sentence! So I personally do not think it is massive at all?!

• 3 weeks later...

I love the reaction this topic has got! 😄 Was only expecting a few to post back!

Ya the, GT86 and the ISF are completely different beasts, but I'm expecting that. I drove an IS250 Sport a while back and still to this day beats all of other typical saloons with the likes of BMWs and anything that's VAG. I'm talking build quality and the "stable feel". My other motor is a twin turbo 300zx although it hasnt seen the road in a while! 😞

I'm pretty much set on getting an IS F, there's nothing out there that tickles my fancy really (just gotta make sure the finances are all in order later this year!)

On 2/17/2020 at 6:46 PM, emjay82 said:

I went from the ISF to the BRZ for a change after 3 years (I seem to only buy cars with three abbreviated letters 🙄), so can appreciate the characteristics each car can offer. 

1) Rarity. Felt special for this reason, I don't think I'd get the same feeling with the normal suspects from BMW etc.

2) Induction noise. Most owners change their exhaust to increase the acoustic thrills but the induction noise is also pretty good!

3) Power. The GT86/BRZ has wonderful handling and feel, better than the ISF in fact but.....the straight line speed and acceleration in the ISF is in a different league.

For my no 1, I am going to rob @emjay82's No 2 - the induction noise. I think that eventually people will realise that the noise inside an IS-F will always be better than the noise outside. IMHO, any after market exhaust for an IS-F, GS-F or RC-F will spoil some of the pleasure presented via the induction noise (and add annoying boom).

2. Build quality - felt like a rock

3. Downshifting from third to second whilst braking hard for a corner. Loved doing that!

Of course, there were things I hated about the IS-F / RC-F, and here are three.

1. Gutless engine i.e. low down torque.

2. Wolf in sheep's clothing. Of course this is a major plus point (sometimes), but on ocassions, I really wanted people to notice that F cars are blimin mega. The RC-F sort of cured this.

3. 8 speed gearbox. Linked to number 1. Caught in the wrong gear, the box takes for ages to pick a cog. I'd end up driving it in manual most of the time, but you still had 8 ratios to ***** about with. Got to be on it when overtaking!