Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Using the RX like a van

Sorry for upsetting you all.

This isn't as bad as it sounds. I need to transport partner's stuff from uni occasionally, and go camping occasionally.

While the luggage involved isn't heavy, particularly, it will fill even the RX to the roof with the rear seats folded down.

I don't plan to drive around with a dangerous load obscuring my view, or threatening my safety. So this is my plan of action. I don't intend any of these adaptations to be permanent fixtures, to damage the car, or to impede safety.

1. WiFi camera mounted on rear of car via magnet.

2. Old phone to act as pseudo-mirror on windscreen, fed from the camera 

3. Roof height barrier behind front seats.

I am currently working on (1). I'll post some info when I'm successful... And successful includes being able to drive on fast roads without losing the camera.

Plan is that all can be set up our removed in minutes.

Comments and suggestions welcome

Edited by Farnham Dave
Numbers in list wrong.

Why bother with all that? How do you think hundreds of thousands of van and truck drivers manage with no rear view mirror?

Answer - use your door mirrors.

Many years as a telephone engineer and driving my various BT vans have left me more comfortable using door mirrors than anything else.

• Like 1

I would use the side mirrors, except that the they don't really tick all the boxes on the motorway if your rear view is blocked.

People are expecting a van to not be able to see behind it, but they're not expecting that of a car.

Strangely I was thinking about this recently and checked my internal mirror immediately after using my side mirrors which I will add are properly adjusted.  Following doing this I concluded on the RX I would not like to be without the internal mirror, although I have driven other vehicles without the benefit of an internal rear view mirror.  I wonder whether temporary side mirror extenders as used by caravaners if suitable for the RX might be a better alternative?

Magnetically mounted external camera (WiFi with rechargeable battery). Instructions say not to exceed 60mph, so there's a thick chunk of neodymium magnets on the inside of the rear door. I've just had a quick fast journey, and checked position... Hasn't moved.

I've resurrected my old second generation Motorola phone. Factory reset, downloaded Safety cam app, then removed user account and WiFi connection just to be in safe side.

All seems fully functional and correct. Inside magnets are wrapped in a nitrile glove to protect the bodywork, but I need to do something on the outside to stop any grit getting between camera and panel (noticed one small scratch already). Will probably use blank vinyl decal or something. Next step is the barrier behind the front seats.

IMG_20200221_151220118~2.jpg

IMG_20200221_151020851~2.jpg

Very good - but I still reckon you're overthinking it.

I've passed the same driving test as you and I'm more than happy using just door mirrors, as are many hundreds of thousands of people, every day.

EDIT:

I know you want the camera/phone combination to take the place of the rear view mirror, which means that you must intend on having the display on all the time but, seriously, I think you need to look at the screengrab below, particularly the yellow highlighted part. This is the reason why dash cams with LCD screens only have the screens 'live' for a couple of minutes when they first power up and then they must blank the screen off.

camscreen.thumb.png.4760277209b2cc35014a7bc8a31cd599.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having driven vans for many years I also think exterior mirror use is fine but do understand your point of view. could you fix the phone to the rear view mirror to come within the law.

We have used our RX for the past 3 years for camping trips and usually have the double rear seat folded down (our son selfishly insists that the single one is left in place so he has somewhere to sit😆).  It's usually crammed to the roof, with a huge airbeam tent (105lb lump), camping gear of all sorts, clothes and food.   I just used the rear mirrors and the onboard reversing mirror takes care of parking or checking behind when stationary.  Having a wifi linked camera would work well (wifi or blue tooth?) but I never saw the need and never felt hard done by for not using one.  My main niggle is the compromised load space due to the sloping rear.  It's not that impressive for such a large car (compared even with an X3).

Yes! I'm not doing any more at the moment, because I'm in self isolation.

But here's a link to the camera... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reversing-Wireless-Magnetic-Waterproof-Compatible-305-Camera/dp/B07W4FKPTT

Don't forget that the magnet in it is only rated to a speed of 60mph, hence my use of extra magnets.

• 1 month later...

I'm adding to this a bit late but are you sure you have your wing mirrors adjusted 'properly'? A lot of people set their wing mirrors to show the body of the car they are driving, but in so doing they create a larger 'blind spot'. Adjusting them so that you can't see the body of the car gives a much improved rear view, more than sufficient to do without the rear-view mirror.

See this article for some good illustrations: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15131074/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots/

Oh and one word of warning the leather armrests on the rear doors are very easy to tear  when putting stuff in so make sure to protect them in some way

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 10:57 PM, Herbie said:

Very good - but I still reckon you're overthinking it.

I've passed the same driving test as you and I'm more than happy using just door mirrors, as are many hundreds of thousands of people, every day.

EDIT:

I know you want the camera/phone combination to take the place of the rear view mirror, which means that you must intend on having the display on all the time but, seriously, I think you need to look at the screengrab below, particularly the yellow highlighted part. This is the reason why dash cams with LCD screens only have the screens 'live' for a couple of minutes when they first power up and then they must blank the screen off.

camscreen.thumb.png.4760277209b2cc35014a7bc8a31cd599.png

Not doing anything about this at the moment, since I'm sheltering and the car's in storage. But while I can adjust the position of the phone to be compliant, I didn't know about the continuous footage thing. I'm going to read up on this at some point... There are LCD display rear view "mirrors" out there, which are also on all the time. If I find any additional info, I'll post it.

My car has lugged loads of carfuls of garden waste to the dump. The rear bootliner has a load of scuffmarks and scratches now. What can ya do.. happy wife happy life