Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Lexus RX (2nd Gen) - new to RX life

Hey everyone,

I just picked up a 2005 RX a couple of weeks ago and I love it! It is very comfortable and over the weeks I have managed to get the mpg from 14 mpg to 22mpg on longer journey's to Helensburgh.

It drives soo smoothly and different from the IS. It has just over 92k miles on it and it is in for some suspension work along with brake calipers this week, fingers crossed that is all it needs for a while as it was serviced and has its MOT 2 weeks ago.

Would love to own and drive a newer RX one day...

I made a video on it if you would like to check it out? Thomas 🙂

• Like 4

Impressive car, they do wear well if looked after.  I prefer the more contoured sides of this car to my 3 series and more cars then  also came with wood trim which I l prefer.  I like the front look of the 3rd series better but the 4 series front grille looks way OTT to my eyes.  Thanks for posting.  Enjoy! 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 6:22 PM, ThomasD94 said:

What would you replace your RX with? A new RX or NX?

I think without doubt I am going to have to seriously look at a BEV in the future. It really is very difficult to judge what the market is going to be like. There's not that much solid data available yet on long term reliability or longevity of BEVs yet, but another two years should make the information more reliable.

I had an NX before my RX and it is a well built car, but the current setup of the NX frustrated me too much, a good engine married to the wrong transmission which I found irritating at times. Plus in comparison the NX suffers badly from road and tire noise and is nowhere near as relaxing as the RX.

Trust you're till enjoying your RX.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Old Sandy said:

I think without doubt I am going to have to seriously look at a BEV in the future. It really is very difficult to judge what the market is going to be like. There's not that much solid data available yet on long term reliability or longevity of BEVs yet, but another two years should make the information more reliable.

I had an NX before my RX and it is a well built car, but the current setup of the NX frustrated me too much, a good engine married to the wrong transmission which I found irritating at times. Plus in comparison the NX suffers badly from road and tire noise and is nowhere near as relaxing as the RX.

Trust you're till enjoying your RX.

Yeah I agree, the RX is sublime, I have driven the NX previously.

Would you go into the fully electric UX that is coming perhaps? Or maybe switch brands to a Tesla or Jaguar etc?

1 hour ago, ThomasD94 said:

Yeah I agree, the RX is sublime, I have driven the NX previously.

Would you go into the fully electric UX that is coming perhaps? Or maybe switch brands to a Tesla or Jaguar etc?

Having heard good reports about the UX I sat in one in the showroom the other week and it seemed more car like and a bit claustrophobic. I didn't bother with a test drive that they offered.

Going to keep an open mind on the future, but looking at historical success in the EV market Tesla seem to be the leader. I have had a look at one of the Hyundai/Kia EV forums in the past and there were long threads about prop shaft balance causing problems. 

It will be interesting to see how quickly Lexus get their act together with BEVs. With their experience of hybrids I thought they would have been farther ahead in the development of pure electric vehicles by now. Looks like I am just going to have wait and see. In the meantime my RX glides me around serenely lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Old Sandy said:

Having heard good reports about the UX I sat in one in the showroom the other week and it seemed more car like and a bit claustrophobic. I didn't bother with a test drive that they offered.

Going to keep an open mind on the future, but looking at historical success in the EV market Tesla seem to be the leader. I have had a look at one of the Hyundai/Kia EV forums in the past and there were long threads about prop shaft balance causing problems. 

It will be interesting to see how quickly Lexus get their act together with BEVs. With their experience of hybrids I thought they would have been farther ahead in the development of pure electric vehicles by now. Looks like I am just going to have wait and see. In the meantime my RX glides me around serenely lol.

Yeah the UX is pretty small, I am hoping to get a loaner from Lexus Glasgow soon on the UX to experience it for myself.

I have heard Hyundai/Kia with issues, even the Iconiq has a few.

Fingers crossed over the next few years they will. Guess they will need a serious amount of BEV's by 2030 if they are to sell any cars in UK 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 2:45 PM, Old Sandy said:

Having previously worked for Toyota at their factory in Burnaston,they have a habit of keeping things very hush hush until they are in pre production.I have heard they are investing in solid state batteries which are supposed to be lighter and more energy efficient. I also wouldn't be surprised for them not to bother with EV and move to hydrogen fuel cell they already produce a car called the mirai which is a hydrogen powered car.Toyota is a company that will only change when sales of current models drop off. If hybrids continue to sell well why change?

• Like 2

On 2/26/2020 at 4:05 PM, Richard Fixter said:

Having previously worked for Toyota at their factory in Burnaston,they have a habit of keeping things very hush hush until they are in pre production.I have heard they are investing in solid state batteries which are supposed to be lighter and more energy efficient. I also wouldn't be surprised for them not to bother with EV and move to hydrogen fuel cell they already produce a car called the mirai which is a hydrogen powered car.Toyota is a company that will only change when sales of current models drop off. If hybrids continue to sell well why change?

Hopefully we might find out a lot more from the Geneva show, I'd certainly prefer hydrogen cell to BEV.