Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

To SE-L or not..Any positive stories

Hello to all. Dean here in Hackney,East London.

I’ve joined the forum as I hope to soon join the Lexus Rx300 family. I’m due to buy a lovely 05 SE-L very soon. However, with 140k on the clock I’m having worries about it being the right decision. I’m aware that air suspension isn’t favoured much due to possible failures and costs. I live in a place where speed bumps and pot holes are everywhere so the suspension will take a battering somewhat. 

Does anyone have any positive stories thus far regarding owning an SE-L and air shocks lasting into higher mileage?

many thanks 

Dean 

People with problems usually post to forums in the hope that someone can help them and it would be rare and unusual for someone to post, "Hey, my car's working great".

I'm sure that there are many hundreds of cars out there with perfect air suspension but do you really want to take such an expensive risk, especially given that air isn't much different to normal suspension and certainly doesn't provide enough of a difference to justify the extra complexity and cost, not in my personal opinion anyway?

• Like 3

I have a relative who has an 06 RX350 SE-L with air suspension. Purchased from Lexus when only 3 years old with circa 30k on clock. It's been fully serviced by Lexus ever since, but in last two years with about 130k on clock, one by one, the air suspension has failed and has cost him circa £700 per unit to replace (Lexus parts & Labour), so £2800 in all.

If you are handy, you can import the parts and fit them your self for less, or get an indy to do it. Remember, you are looking at a 15 year old car...It seems that the air suspension is a matter of if, not when, it fails... as is testified to by many threads on this forum and other Lexus models with air suspension.

Have you checked if the suspension has already been replaced on the one you are considering? You might be lucky.

PS: Apologies for the doom story...I know you are asking for positive 'air' experiences, and I do hope you get some in due course.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PCM said:

I'm sure I put a post here... but it's gone?

You did, I saw it, you are not going mad... it has indeed gone, there was a notice about maintenance to the website/forum, perhaps to do with that? The OP's response has also vanished.

• Like 2

We had our RX300 SE-L from 2007 for five years and over 60.000 miles, with no sign of a problem. But I can imagine it’s an expensive repair if it arises, so a conventionally sprung version might be a safer buy at around fifteen years old. 

You might find one like ours, with a RX plate, even harder to find!  Here it is outside a Fish Bros, Swindon. Good luck.  

75AE3467-979C-4593-BE4B-E632F928E6C0.thumb.jpeg.812185fd8b9e7980d46903909ed92f5e.jpeg

• Like 3

My own experience is that due to expense of the air suspension parts and the high probability that they will rust and fail, then I went for an SE-Nav instead of an SE-L.

Rust is the killer of the air struts, because the air chamber is partly steel and it rusts quite badly and as soon as the rust creates even a pinhole in the steel, it's a new shock at £700.

I'd advise anyone getting a new air strut fitted to have the steel part of the air chamber waxoyled or something like that to make it last longer.

• Like 2

Really appreciate the replies and input. It All helps to for form a decision. I’ve sourced a normal sprung SE that has a great mot history online. It was bought at auction by the dealer. It comes with one key and stamped service history booklet. No v5. Have to send off for it. It’s looks decent. Perhaps it was repossessed by a finance company or something and ended up at auction. I have a query about the history stamps though. On some stamps there are the same little blue stamp. I’ll try to attach a picture. It’s the blue stamps ??? Does it look normal? I’ve no idea. 
C3B6C9B2-1972-425E-80DB-09930ACE0409.thumb.png.ca17178d45265765fb453e35438a8129.png

I have an RX with air.  Almost 180k miles on original air struts. I've had to replace 2 rear controllers and that's it.

Normal struts would be cheaper to replace and I dare say I would be on a third set by now. My non air SC has new suspension all round, the non air GS 430 needed new rears at 90k  The LS with air was still fine with no issues at 110k miles, the Soarer with air did have 2 front struts replaced late on in life at less than £100 each but all was well when I sold it at 230k miles. 

Would I buy an SEL? you bet. With all the scary stories about air suspension where are all the cheap SEL models?

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Neil E said:

I have an RX with air.  Almost 180k miles on original air struts. I've had to replace 2 rear controllers and that's it.

Normal struts would be cheaper to replace and I dare say I would be on a third set by now. My non air SC has new suspension all round, the non air GS 430 needed new rears at 90k  The LS with air was still fine with no issues at 110k miles, the Soarer with air did have 2 front struts replaced late on in life at less than £100 each but all was well when I sold it at 230k miles. 

Would I buy an SEL? you bet. With all the scary stories about air suspension where are all the cheap SEL models?

My Soarer had 120,000 miles with air suspension.

It did need a new compressor but all the struts were fine.

I DO like the idea of air - my RX300 has it.

And I DO like the height adjustment feature.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I’ve actually warmed to the idea of air. However, I bought an SE navigator. It was only the fact that the SE had less miles on the clock than SE-L air and was equally as nice that swayed me,,coupled with the colour being black as my missus wanted a black car. Such a nice car to drive. Now I know why they’re so liked. Probably need new pads soon but expected as my gosshhh they are heavy beasts aren’t they. Thanks for all your input and thoughts. Appreciated. I’ll have a search on here to read about disks n pads etc. 

• Like 3

They are indeed pretty sturdy. My SC gets all the attention, the RX is the poor workhorse, it just gets serviced and is expected to keep going. Discs and pads are usually a nice straight-forward job on the RX and whichever model RX you have, they're very well appointed, completely dependable and a very fine car.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 1:47 PM, DC Black said:

Yes true,, but my focus is that both the blue stamps are the same date and number??? Im wondering why that could be.

I think you’ll find the official stamps are deliberately two colours to reduce the chances of forgery.  The year is the year that the stamp was issued, and they should get a fresh stamp with each year, to show they are still a Lexus authorised dealer. 

I agree it’s worth enquiring about the 2014 entry which appears to be duplicated.  It’s possible the book was missed and then the owner tried to get it back dated?

Edited by Nick_S

On 2/22/2020 at 3:51 PM, DC Black said:

Thanks guys. I’ve actually warmed to the idea of air. However, I bought an SE navigator. It was only the fact that the SE had less miles on the clock than SE-L air and was equally as nice that swayed me,,coupled with the colour being black as my missus wanted a black car. Such a nice car to drive. Now I know why they’re so liked. Probably need new pads soon but expected as my gosshhh they are heavy beasts aren’t they. Thanks for all your input and thoughts. Appreciated. I’ll have a search on here to read about disks n pads etc. 

A good buy, I like my SE-Nav. You get most of the toys and none of the worry.

Being heavy they tend to wear the anti roll bar bushes and drop links. Keeping all that weight upright on corners is hard work! Luckily cheap to replace and easy DIY jobs. 

You learn to coast and use the weight. I've had mine nearly two years now and this summer I'm planning pad replacement. I'm going to order new slider pins and rubber boots because the boots disintegrate with age and the slider pins seize. They're not that much for a set off eBay, so it's worth fitting new ones and making sure they're greased up and move freely.

Even with all that weight, when the emergency brake assist kicks in, it can really stop! It surprised me the first time it happened and it saved me on the M5 fully loaded when an Audi pulled out of a stationary queue into my lane! 

28 minutes ago, Delphius1 said:

A good buy, I like my SE-Nav. You get most of the toys and none of the worry.

Being heavy they tend to wear the anti roll bar bushes and drop links. Keeping all that weight upright on corners is hard work! Luckily cheap to replace and easy DIY jobs. 

You learn to coast and use the weight. I've had mine nearly two years now and this summer I'm planning pad replacement. I'm going to order new slider pins and rubber boots because the boots disintegrate with age and the slider pins seize. They're not that much for a set off eBay, so it's worth fitting new ones and making sure they're greased up and move freely.

Even with all that weight, when the emergency brake assist kicks in, it can really stop! It surprised me the first time it happened and it saved me on the M5 fully loaded when an Audi pulled out of a stationary queue into my lane! 

Was it this idiot ?

audi 1.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Delphius1 said:

Just looking at those on eBay for mine. Obviously best to replace as a pair... looks like the part fits either side... is that correct?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-Lexus-RX-300-Genuine-Delphi-Front-Stabiliser-Anti-Roll-Bar-ARB-Drop-Link/293138496962?fits=Car+Make%3ALexus|Model%3ARX|Cars+Type%3A300|Plat_Gen%3AMHU3_%2C+GSU3_%2C+MCU3_|Cars+Year%3A2004|Variant%3AMHU3_%2C+GSU3_%2C+MCU3_+[2003-2008]+SUV&hash=item44406a7dc2:g:Rf4AAOSw78hdGfz2

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Was it this idiot ?

audi 1.jpg

I think Audi drivers have a different perspective of personal space. A bit like cats. 

I'm pretty sure pulling out and switching lanes when there's a 2-ton 4x4 bearing down on you at 50mph 20 feet away isn't a safe manouvre. Luckily I slammed on the brakes, the EBA kicked in and we slowed down in time for him to duck back into his own lane when he saw us in his mirrors. Fair play he used his mirrors, but bad form for waiting until after he'd started the lane change. lol.

We braked that hard I thought my car was going to end up on it's nose. It's still weird when the brake pedal shoots away from your foot as the braking assist kicks in.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links