Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2006 GS300 Rear Shock Absorbers on 2006 GS-450H?

ZXSpectrum

Hi Sami, Thanks for the reply.

With the setup you have, how do you find the ride in comparison to stock? 

What did you do with the actuators? Did you get any codes?

It takes some time to find out the best settings that suit you: there is so many things you can adjust on those. I'd claim that you can get the same ride as oem, if you wish... I wanted to lower the car a bit, and get a bit more "firm" ride. I got that...

Many times the coilovers are for sport-setups, which are (IMHO) too hard/uncomfortable. Pay attention which kind of setup you order...

Actuators are on my garage's table. No codes from that 😉

One piece of details: the oem actuator is able to turn the damper pin about 100 degrees only. That 100 degrees corresponds to about 4 "clicks" on my coilovers (max. is about 32 "clicks" = more than 3 full rounds). So the oem adjustment is rather limited in that sense too...

BR.Sami

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sami Tilander said:

I actually did a small experiment with the actuators: I connected one back, added a small visual scale there and took a video with GoPro to see how much the actuator will actually do any adjustment while driving. Result: nothing at all. At least in speeds under 120km/h. I did try with Sport and Normal modes, but no difference. The only movement was when power was turned on: then the actuator moves to both directions (probably to reset the settings).

Well, so much for Adaptive Variable Suspension then 😂

How much does it move when you switch from normal to sport?

5 hours ago, Sami Tilander said:

.. I ordered my BC Racing coilovers with softer springs, and I've been really happy with them.

BR.Sami

Sami, the default spring rates for our model appear to be 10/8kg.

Can you recall the rates you ordered?

Many Thanks, Lee

It looks as if the standard BC Racing Coilovers are 10/8

Hope you don't mind me asking Sami, how much were the BC Racing Coilovers? Ones I have seen are about £900

On 5/15/2020 at 3:53 PM, ZXSpectrum said:

It looks as if the standard BC Racing Coilovers are 10/8

Hope you don't mind me asking Sami, how much were the BC Racing Coilovers? Ones I have seen are about £900

Mmh... the regular springs were rated 14/10 is that shop I ordered my coilovers. I think mine are 10/8 (at least that is stated in the documents I got). This is the set I bought: https://mamasan.fi/fi/product/r-21-br/11869 with softer springs (sorry, in finnish and prices in €)

BR.Sami

On 5/15/2020 at 2:07 PM, LexIS200Sport said:

How much does it move when you switch from normal to sport?

Well, nothing at all... I probably need to re-take the video to be sure, I only did one short shot... I'll try to share the video I took so you can see it too 😉

I've to say I was a bit dissappointed with that... I was even planning to re-install the actuators on top of the BR racing coilovers, but not any more...

Maybe the system is just designed to speeds which are not legal on our streets?

BR.Sami

Thanks Farqui, I used to know Phil Morrison from Driftworks back in the day when I had my S13 when he was just starting out on the scene. Top lad and has grown a good business out of it. 

Sami, Weird, I found those stock spring rates from several sources. Doesn't matter really if the ones you bought were 10/8 and you are happy with them. 

I think I will save a bit more cash and get them. Were they a straight swap out for the stock setup or was there anything particular to look out for? Obviously I will try and get them set to the same ride height as I currently have so I shouldn't really need an alignment but if I went a bit lower I would get that sorted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sami Tilander said:

Well, nothing at all... I probably need to re-take the video to be sure, I only did one short shot... I'll try to share the video I took so you can see it too

Thanks, will be interesting to watch. I am convinced that the actuator should rotate when switching modes. On the factory shock absorbers, you feel the difference immediately (even at low speeds) when you switch modes.

14 minutes ago, ZXSpectrum said:

I think I will save a bit more cash and get them. Were they a straight swap out for the stock setup or was there anything particular to look out for? Obviously I will try and get them set to the same ride height as I currently have so I shouldn't really need an alignment but if I went a bit lower I would get that sorted. 

Interested to know too  🙂

20 hours ago, LexIS200Sport said:

Thanks, will be interesting to watch. I am convinced that the actuator should rotate when switching modes. On the factory shock absorbers, you feel the difference immediately (even at low speeds) when you switch modes.

I've to say that I've never noticed anything changing on the suspension when switching to Sport... steering yes and gas pedal yes. My first test was simple: car running, open the hood, take plastic covers off, take one actuator into hand, ask somebody to switch to Sport. Nothing. Then I started to belive that it must be controlled by the speed and I did that GoPro test...

I need to study a bit video editing & youtube to upload the videos (never done earlier).

20 hours ago, LexIS200Sport said:

Interested to know too  🙂

They are straight swaps, except for the actuators, of course. I had one stuck bolt, which needed to be cut, otherwise smooth & easy DIY. I first lowered too much, which caused problems with wheel alignment (there is not much adjustment possible with stock parts). Here in Finland you need to get the suspension & alignment inspected, so they need to be on specs.

One hint: you probably want to adjust at least the dampers, so leave the plastic covers & trunk covers out for few weeks/months. It is painful to remove the covers for adjustments...

BR.Sami

• Thanks 1

Here are two videos:

1. power on:

2. acceleration test:

I remember that I did switch to Sport-mode in the start of acceleration... but I need to re-test that. But as you can see, no movement at all...

BR.Sami

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks, reading this thread with interest, since I have an 07 450h which needs at least 1 rear damper. Lexus parts direct have the struts themselves for £122 each, since I reckon the springs etc are all OK and after 170k+ miles I hope it's just the dampers. 

This gives an indication of what the AVS should be doing, if you're interested. Browse through the pages & you'll find the relevant parts. Further through is the section for the rears, too. 

https://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/gs_450h/v6-3.5l_(2gr-fse)_hybrid/steering_and_suspension/suspension/suspension_strut/shock_absorber/component_information/service_and_repair/front_shock_absorber_with_coil_spring/

5 hours ago, PCGuru said:

Hi folks, reading this thread with interest, since I have an 07 450h which needs at least 1 rear damper. Lexus parts direct have the struts themselves for £122 each, since I reckon the springs etc are all OK and after 170k+ miles I hope it's just the dampers.

Not sure if you're aware but the rear strut that Lexus Parts Direct retails for £122 is for the GS300 and not the GS450h.

Also, thanks for sharing that link 👍

I have already messaged them to double check and, looking at the listing again it does only say GS and doesn't specify which model, which I do find a bit annoying if they aren't the right ones, tbh.

As with all car spare parts I do find it hard to believe the prices, sometimes.

Does anyone know if the dampers for the GS450h rears are available as separates, anywhere?

Edit: This is the listing I'm looking at, 

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-gs/lexus-gs-phase-iii-2005-2012/lexus-gs-3-steering-suspension/lexus-gs-phase-3-rear-shock-absorber-strut/

There's another that states the 3l petrol model: 

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-gs/lexus-gs-phase-iii-2005-2012/lexus-gs-3-steering-suspension/lexus-gs-phase-3-rear-shock-absorber-for-3l-petrol/

Forgive my ignorance but are these both for 300's?

Edited by PCGuru
Addition of links

Hi Simon, apologies, my bad - that rear strut at £122 is for the GS430 and GS460. I cross-checked the part number with Amayama.

In summary:

Rear shock for GS450h

pre-facelift: www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-gs/lexus-gs-phase-iii-2005-2012/lexus-gs-3-steering-suspension/lexus-gs-phase-3-rear-shock-absorber-2/

post-facelift: www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-gs/lexus-gs-phase-iii-2005-2012/lexus-gs-3-steering-suspension/lexus-gs-phase-3-rear-shock-absorber/

Rear shock for GS300

www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-gs/lexus-gs-phase-iii-2005-2012/lexus-gs-3-steering-suspension/lexus-gs-phase-3-rear-shock-absorber-for-3l-petrol/

Rear shock for GS430 and GS460

www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-gs/lexus-gs-phase-iii-2005-2012/lexus-gs-3-steering-suspension/lexus-gs-phase-3-rear-shock-absorber-strut

In any case, if you email your vehicle reg to Lexus Parts Direct, you will be advised of the correct rear shock absorber for your car.

• Like 1

Yup, Dan replied to my message and told me it was the wrong ones. £283.60 each for the right ones, and that's just the strut rather than the whole suspension leg 😮😟

I know... I replaced a full set on mine a couple of months ago and still weep to this day. 😢

That said, it did transform the ride and handling of the car plus eliminating a knocking noise and some interior rattles along the way.

• Like 1

Can't really complain since it's got 170k+ on the clock. 

The rear end does feel rather "floaty" and have been told about misting for the past couple of MoTs so they need doing. Gonna have to bite the bullet and get them bought!

Suppose that's the price of driving a luxury car such as Lexus is.

Ta for your input, much appreciated.

Mine has only got 70K and only really do short journeys so its a pretty big chunk hence why i am considering a pair or new rears at about £500 plus fitting vs a complete set of coilovers at a fair bit more (About £800 Plus fitting which should be a about the same price as just the rears as they dont have to remove the springs etc) but is the entire shocks/springs/top mounts on the car. While i appreciate that it will remove the active dampening it allows me to lower the car if i decide to change the wheels and i would also think the new technology of the BC coilovers would be as good if not a fair bit better than Lexus 14 Year old technology. On top of that, as Sami has shown, the active dampening doesn't seem to do a great deal. 

I am currently in the process of saving for a full set of BC. 

But now my exhaust has started blowing so time to fix that first.. Groan!

52 minutes ago, ZXSpectrum said:

But now my exhaust has started blowing so time to fix that first.. Groan!

There's a guy here in Rochdale that does bespoke exhaust stuff for very reasonable prices. Entire rear section from and inc the y-pipe & 2 new back boxes cost me £290.

T G Silencers - 01706 356982 

Tgsilencers.co.uk

If that helps 😀 It's the same the other side, btw.

20190921_134053.thumb.jpg.4173da6b92060d6d3b298fdec40e53cd.jpg

Hey Paul, do the BC coilover's bolt directly to the shell or do they use the OEM buffers/top hats?

I've had coilovers on previous cars and when bolted directly they transmit quite a lot of road noise into the cabin. 

They handle really well tho, so there's a trade off to consider.

Oooh, thats not something i have thought about.. I believe they would fit directly to the OEM mounting points as it looks like its a complete replacement for the Shock/Spring/Top mounts. I am sure the Sami could answer that as he has them on his car and could inform us on how they are for road noise compared to the stock ones. 

Thanks Simon, I believe there is a branch of ETS in Derby that can custom bend and make sections of exhaust if the guy that is looking at it for me thinks its too big of a job for him.