Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help!

Alas zéro replies to my last post re seat covers suitable for Lexus NX heated seats. Has no-one in the forum ever fitted seat covers to their NX? No side air bags on mine. Just trying to protect my pristine seats but no help from Lexus and proving very tricky to find covers which will cope with the heat! Thanks

Don't be so old fashioned.  Lexus seats are of durable quality and very comfortable.  Do you really want to be adjusting pleats and wrinkles in covers every time you get in and out ?  Just treat them with respect and keep them clean.  If you want to wear greasy overalls, put a bin-bag over them......or take the van instead 😉.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Don C said:

I wouldn’t cover them either.  Just get some good quality leather wipes and use them once a month and they will stay pristine. 

Yes, I gave up on the covers. The leather is easily cleaned as part of routine cleaning. 

So much more comfortable than sitting on covers too! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Don C said:

I wouldn’t cover them either.  Just get some good quality leather wipes and use them once a month and they will stay pristine. 

Hmm... good point.... recommendations for the best stuff to wipe the leather with? I'm used to cleaning the trim with trim cleaner, not always best for leather....

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Steve Oliver said:

Hmm... good point.... recommendations for the best stuff to wipe the leather with? I'm used to cleaning the trim with trim cleaner, not always best for leather....

Just buy some branded leather cleaner and leather cream to nourish the leather, I use Autoglmn products, if I’ve spelt it correctly.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Just buy some branded leather cleaner and leather cream to nourish the leather, I use Autoglmn products, if I’ve spelt it correctly.

Copy that, I'm a big Autoglim fan already. Off to Halfords I go. Cheers

• Thanks 1

Lexus do a very good kit for cleaning and maintenance of the leather. That said all automotive leather is PU coated so a simple wipe down with a damp cloth is fine. For more dirty seats a mild solution of wool detergent in Luke warm water works well. I wouldn't recommend using conditioners as they simply sit on the surface and attract grit and grime. This then abrades the leather surface, especially in the creases, causing cracks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Don C said:

The best ones I’ve come across are Meguires but they seemed to have stopped selling them in this country, I get mine in the USA.  These look similar. I get two and wipe the seat down. They are amazing at lifting dirt but they condition the leather at the same time. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Wipes-Pack-Of-25-Wipes-Interior-Car-Upholstery-Seats-Pouch-Armor-All/291946507020?epid=1810357795&hash=item43f95e2b0c:g:0G4AAOSw5UFb2Ipk

Thanks for the link Don.

I have just ordered them.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Don C said:

The best ones I’ve come across are Meguires but they seemed to have stopped selling them in this country, I get mine in the USA.  These look similar. I get two and wipe the seat down. They are amazing at lifting dirt but they condition the leather at the same time. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leather-Wipes-Pack-Of-25-Wipes-Interior-Car-Upholstery-Seats-Pouch-Armor-All/291946507020?epid=1810357795&hash=item43f95e2b0c:g:0G4AAOSw5UFb2Ipk

Do you really need to use wipes?  Wipe over once and then bin?  I use Meguiars Gold Class leather cleaner and conditioner.  I dab some cream from the pump bottle onto a clean microfibre cloth and wipe over the leather.  One cloth will do both cars.

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2020 at 8:04 PM, Phil E said:

Hmmmm..  What does anyone else think?  Am I terribly old fashioned?

Yes.

What is the point of spending all that money on a car and then covering the seat with tacky covers... Why, when the person who will benefit from this is the next owner!

by the way, I also recommend Gliptone.

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2020 at 8:04 PM, Phil E said:

Hmmmm..  What does anyone else think?  Am I terribly old fashioned?

Be your own man Phil. Out of fashion means being different to the populist view, so no problem there, then.

Just enjoy your car and be happy with whatever you want to do..

• Like 4

Thanks for all the advice guys! I plan to keep this car for a long long time hence thinking about covers. Spent a load of cash on this motor so I want to preserve its newness as long as poss! Main potential area of wear seems to be right hand side of drivers seat (in UK) where driver gets in and out. Will see how things go.

• Like 1

I use a very simple "apron" type cover that hook over the headrests (cream leather!) which works ok as long as i'm fairly careful when I get in and so I don't push it off sliding into the seat. The heating works well through it but the cooling wouldn't. Fixcape PRO from amazon

• 1 month later...

I am of the opinion that when you use a permanent seat cover all you are doing is paying premium for your seats and then using non premium to ride in and passing on to next owner brilliant condition seats for them to enjoy as you should have done. However for intermittent use to protect from dirty clothing then fine.

• Like 2