Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 Front AFS Sensor

My AFS hasn't worked for years so I thought I'd have a go.

There are two bolts holding the bracket in the wheel arch behind the front passenger wheel, one holding the lower hinge part and one holding the bracket to the sensor wiper arm.
For the life of me I cannot release the 10mm bolt holding the sensor wiper, the whole shaft spins (probably why it is broken).

The only way I think I can release it is to use a hacksaw and cut through the shaft.

Anyway, I bought a Lexus IS250 Front AFS Sensor from fleabay but after getting the assembly out, I find out it is the wrong part.
The one I bought has a much larger electrical plug, must by 50% larger than the one fitted.

The only part numbers on the original one draw a blank from any search (see image of the fitted part).

Anhyone come across this before? I suspect if I go to Lexus they will want to sell the whole assembly, which as far as I can see is about £400. Madness.

AFS Sensor small.jpg

I found a picture showing the location, and circled in red the bolt I cannot undo

afs location.jpg

This thread show the part I have bought, seems it is for an LS430, not an IS250 as advertised. You can also see the rusty bolt on the shaft I'm struggling with.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/799790-headlight-auto-leveling-sensors-help.html

You could try splitting the nut by sawing it along the line of the shaft part. Even if you end up with a slight flat on the shaft after cutting off the nut a new nut will still work on whats left of the thread.

John.

You need a "nut splitter" to cut into the nut which then releases it. Try googling it - I think Halfords stock them. They are a very useful too to have in the toolbox.

Just to clear any confusion I think the Lexus AFS system refers to the left/right movement of the low beam which is controlled by the steering angle input while what you are after is the headlight level control sensor fitted to cars with the Xenon headlights.

Dec.

Thanks guys. 

I couldn't source a new sensor on it's own but found a 2008 is220 being broken up with this bracket attached,  minus the ball joint.  

Coming from Latvia though so may take a little while.  Worth a punt for £30

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links