Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I’ve almost had enough of my GS450h

Hi guys! 

So last year (March) at an inconvenient expense of £745 I had my hybrid Battery reconditioned by Hybrid Battery solutions. The other day that dreaded warning (check hybrid system) came back again! 
I don’t really know if I want to endure the expense again I’m pretty much at my wits end! The amount spent on this car on parts plus purchase costs equates to The monthly amount of leasing a brand new half decent car! I’ve still got a service to do this year plus a possible £700 on an exhaust centre section that needs doing! 
I love the car the waft The comfort the sound system and as someone that drives around  central London a lot, with it being so quiet and comfortable it really helps with the stress levels! 
I want to stay with Lexus and wanted to ask, Lexus Rx450h, any good? If I got a 2010/2011 model, would I have similar issues??

Any advice is appreciated!

3 hours ago, Kal Choudhury said:

If I got a 2010/2011 model, would I have similar issues??

No reported hybrid issues on the series III RX450h, and there are probably 3 to 4 times as many of those on the road compared to the series III GS450h.

Definitely worth getting the error code read from your vehicle - it may not be the same issue and could be something simple.

4 hours ago, Kal Choudhury said:

Hi guys! 

So last year (March) at an inconvenient expense of £745 I had my hybrid battery reconditioned by Hybrid Battery solutions. The other day that dreaded warning (check hybrid system) came back again! 
I don’t really know if I want to endure the expense again I’m pretty much at my wits end! The amount spent on this car on parts plus purchase costs equates to The monthly amount of leasing a brand new half decent car! I’ve still got a service to do this year plus a possible £700 on an exhaust centre section that needs doing! 
I love the car the waft The comfort the sound system and as someone that drives around  central London a lot, with it being so quiet and comfortable it really helps with the stress levels! 
I want to stay with Lexus and wanted to ask, Lexus Rx450h, any good? If I got a 2010/2011 model, would I have similar issues??

It's worth mentioning that your catalytic converter on an RX450h would be a very real target for thieves.

If all you've had to do so far is hybrid Battery recon... 🙂

Out of curiosity, what's so expensive about the center exhaust? I mean, unless you're missing the cats...

Every hybrid model can have those issues, the 3rd gen GS appears to be more "vulnerable"... at least according to anecdotal evidence. At least it uses the 6-cell modules that are used by every other toyota hybrid, unlike the RX (9-cell riveted) and LS600h (12-cell).

You can take advantage of the hybrid Battery check & extended warranty on the new ones. Don't expect a 14 year old car to be trouble-free, no matter the brand - even the ls400 can get expensive 🙂

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I thought that Richard gave a 12 month warranty on his packs ?

I believe this is reduced if the car is over a certain age or mileage.

With mine he advised he could only give 6 months on a reconditioned Battery and advised me to purchase
a replacement.

While it costs around 2k for a new Battery, you've got 2-3 years warranty on it and you can sell the old Battery
as there are still likely a lot of good cells in there. Maybe less for your's since it has already been reconditioned once.

• Like 1

On 22 February 2020 at 4:16 PM, Kal Choudhury said:

Hi guys! 

So last year (March) at an inconvenient expense of £745 I had my hybrid battery reconditioned by Hybrid Battery solutions. The other day that dreaded warning (check hybrid system) came back again! 

Our 2011 RX450h now on 130k - serviced annually by Lexus and so far nothing other than brakes/tyres and a coil spring has needed replacing or repairing - passed all its hybrid checks too.

On 2/22/2020 at 4:16 PM, Kal Choudhury said:

Hi guys! 

Hi Nick,

In 2018 I have purchased 2012 Advance RX450h with one company owner, FSH from Lexus and 160,000 miles on the clock. For the last 2 years no problems. Serviced at Lexus which includes a free Hybrid health check. I have replaced front brakes and pads with brembo and the car stops much better compared to before( probably original disks and pads or Lexus garage once. ( I enjoy the brisk acceleration and probably I use a lot more the brake pedal than normal). Now the car is at 175,000 and still going strong. Hope will do much more trouble free miles.

• Like 1