Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reversing Light Flickering...

Meaty

As the title suggests, my reversing light has started flickering/flashing and not working consistently.  Sometimes the brightness is as expected, but at other times the lamp is continuously illuminated but is very dim.  My initial thoughts are that there is some corrosion somewhere, but has anyone else experienced this and can suggest where the problem may lie?  TIA

Have you got extended warranty or breakdown cover on your car. Maybe the dealership can fix it for free. We had a similar experience and it was covered by warranty and didn’t need to spend money. 

On 2/26/2020 at 11:27 AM, Meaty said:

I haven't. It's been offered a couple of times but I've not taken it up. It looks like I'll be having a look for myself in the first instance.

You can try to buy it directly via the dealer over the phone and wait 14 days and say that there has been a fault. 

to check the reverse light switch

remove the connector from the switch and then join

the 2 connectors in the removed plug with a paper clip

turn the ignition on and select reverse

if your light stays on without flickering then a faulty switch is confirmed

14 hours ago, Meaty said:

is the switch easily accessible to check?  If it is, where is it?

M

I'm not sure the CT has that type of conventional switch because the gear selector doesn't stay in the R position, it will instantly move back to the home location so there isn't a switch that is held closed to complete the circuit all the time you are in reverse.

I'd definitely replace the bulb/check bulb connector for corrosion before looking further afield 

• Like 1

Well that was an easy fix.  It turns out that the LED lamp I fitted ages ago was failing.  It was supposed to have been changed at the service/MoT in December but it appears it wasn't done.  I just fitted a new lamp and all is well once again.

i had the same issue with flickering number plate lights on a car 

once i changed the leds for leds with an aluminium heat sink they worked well

with no more issues

• Like 2

I changed for a LED as I hoped it'd be slightly brighter than the standard reversing candle.  I'm more annoyed that the lamp should have been changed but wasn't.  They obviously looked at it because the technician commented that it was an aftermarket part.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links