Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacing Mark Levinson CD Head Unit (Nav system)

So have just aquired a 2009 IS250 (pre-facelift) and have a small issue with the CD-player skipping (head unit 86120-53390). It happens on any CD but always towards the end which suggests it might be an optical tracking issue. I'm going to upgrade the Nav software which I'm hoping will also update the head unit firmware and fix the issue. However if not or it's more mechnical, I'm thinking to not just replace but upgrade the head unit. The current model (8611) doesn't support MP3, but I'm wondering if something like the P8601 version would. The units look identical but would like to confirm if any one else has experience in doing this and do they know an upgraded head unit will place nicely with the Nav system? Thanks!

I'm not sure which model is in my 07 IS250 Multimedia but it plays DVDs and reads MP3 CDs just fine.  Kinda gutted that it doesn't read MP3 DVDs but there you go 😁

Personally I was quite disappointed to discover that Lexus head units are made by Pioneer (I'm more used to higher-level Alpine stuff that has way more options) and that the Levinson speakers all seem to be paper cones.  It sounds fine for what it is though, don't get me wrong, I just kinda expected the head unit to be made by a more prestigious manufacturer and Mark Levinson speakers, for all the fuss people make about them, to be more than paper!  Given the overall decent output from the IS multimedia system I'm a mite concerned that if I sell it for an RX400h (which is the plan) I'll be taking a step down in audio quality - 'm not even sure that an RX of similar age even has an amp + sub...

17 minutes ago, Mauler said:

I'm not sure which model is in my 07 IS250 Multimedia but it plays DVDs and reads MP3 CDs just fine.  Kinda gutted that it doesn't read MP3 DVDs but there you go 😁

Personally I was quite disappointed to discover that Lexus head units are made by Pioneer (I'm more used to higher-level Alpine stuff that has way more options) and that the Levinson speakers all seem to be paper cones.  It sounds fine for what it is though, don't get me wrong, I just kinda expected the head unit to be made by a more prestigious manufacturer and Mark Levinson speakers, for all the fuss people make about them, to be more than paper!  Given the overall decent output from the IS multimedia system I'm a mite concerned that if I sell it for an RX400h (which is the plan) I'll be taking a step down in audio quality - 'm not even sure that an RX of similar age even has an amp + sub...

So I was a little surprised the 09 IS250 SE-L doesn't appear to support digital formats - that said I've been going on the basis the Print on the front of the 8611 version doesn't list MP3 or WMA. Guess I will stick an MP3 CD in there this weekend and confirm it actually won't play. Assuming not though, I'm currently leaning towards giving it a go and replacing it with a later model head unit.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, K-Lye said:

So I was a little surprised the 09 IS250 SE-L doesn't appear to support digital formats - that said I've been going on the basis the Print on the front of the 8611 version doesn't list MP3 or WMA. Guess I will stick an MP3 CD in there this weekend and confirm it actually won't play. Assuming not though, I'm currently leaning towards giving it a go and replacing it with a later model head unit.

To be fair, that sounds like the RX head units: the earlier models don't support MP3 playback but later units did and I have no idea at which point or spec Lexus changed it!