Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Replacement

MisterR

Hi Everyone, New member with a CT200h. 

Just a quick question about brake replacement, do many people do it themselves? I have read how difficult it is, but also seen guides that make it look very similar to regular disks and pads. 

I understand the simplest way could be to disconnect the Battery and only push the piston back into the caliper enough to go over the new pads.

I am pretty handy with a set of spanner’s having done quite extensive modifications to previous cars, but never on a hybrid power train.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Just a quick question about brake replacement, do many people do it themselves? I have read how difficult it is, but also seen guides that make it look very similar to regular disks and pads. 
I understand the simplest way could be to disconnect the battery and only push the piston back into the caliper enough to go over the new pads.
I am pretty handy with a set of spanner’s having done quite extensive modifications to previous cars, but never on a hybrid power train.
Had to replace pads and discs after caliper pins seized. No different than any other car. Did it with disconnected 12V Battery and was rather gentle with pushing the piston just enough to accommodate new pads and discs. Have used Pagid parts and IMO they performed better than OEM that are made by Textar.

1 hour ago, Pidu said:
18 hours ago, MisterR said:
I understand the simplest way could be to disconnect the battery and only push the piston back into the caliper enough to go over the new pads.

Had to replace pads and discs after caliper pins seized. No different than any other car. Did it with disconnected 12V Battery and was rather gentle with pushing the piston just enough to accommodate new pads and discs. Have used Pagid parts and IMO they performed better than OEM that are made by Textar.

Thanks, I suspected the same. I have looked at OEM that come in at £100 but I can save £20 with brembo disks and pads

@Charlie Alder it keeps the Hybrid computer asleep so you can change the disks/pads safely. 

It it wakes up whilst during disks/pads then it can activate the brakes and pop out the pistons, crush your pinkies, etc.  

The keyless entry system can wake up the brake computer which then primes the brakes ready for you to drive away.

It is possible to leave the 12v supply connected but you must keep the key fob/keyless entry away from the vehicle whilst you are spannering.

• Like 1