Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Audi died and now I have a Lexus

AGriffiths73

Hi everyone, I’m Andrew, not as young as I’d like to be but not too old either.  I live on my farm in Warwickshire and am surrounded by animals including pigs, sheep, cattle, chickens and dogs.

i have two kids and a man cave!  

last month my Audi A8 toasted its air suspension compressor so I found myself a ‘57 plate IS220D for good money.  But... it drives like a bag of plops, flat as anything until about 1,600 revs and can’t seem to get anything more than 40mpg.

this weekend I took off the fuel filter, clogged and filthy, the air filter, clogged and filthy, oil filter, clogged and filthy, cabin air filter was probably the original.....then took off the EGR and flow pipe, then removed all 4 injectors and ground out the old seals.

Now I have to put the new seals in, new rubber seals on the tops of the injectors, cleaned out the whole air intake and EGR, new air intake gasket and EGR gaskets, and I’ve already put in new oil, fuel and cabin air filters and a K&N air filter.

Once this is all done, I’m going to flood the fuel system with injector cleaner (Archoil) after the injectors have been soaking in degreaser for at least 48 hours to break down any further gunge, then put it all back together and give it a blast.

I have to say it is one of the easiest, most sensibly put together cars I’ve ever owned (apart from the fuel filter location).  But, bought an injector puller /slide hammer set that advertised it could remove Denso injectors, but the adapter was 1mm too big so I asked a friend of mine to mill it down to 16mm and it worked a treat.

Two out of four washers I’ve seen were damaged, one was fused completely and needed to be cut out and the last I haven’t even looked at yet.

So anyone here who is struggling with their injector removal and have a slide hammer that fits these adapters, I have one that works!

• Like 1

Welcome to the LOC Andrew,hoping you find the forum educational and informative,having said that you probably should have gone for the IS250 instead but you probably have your reasons 

Welcome Andrew,

You sound like a man who is handy with the spanners :smile:

I know what you mean about the fuel filter - it took 8 hours to replace mine!

Wow, a 180 mile commute?  You must really like where you work :smile:

And don't forget that pictures are always welcome.

Well.  I like what I do, not necessarily the location, but the IS is a nice little car to trundle up and down the M1 in.  When I got it, it wouldn’t go over 32mpg, last drive was 41 but then I noticed the blow back from i3 so stripped it all out.

Today the rocker cover has come off, injector seals replaced, new gaskets etc. then rocker cover back and it will all be back together tonight/tomorrow when I have some time.

The fuel filter was a cow of a job, but a bit of YouTubing and an hour of shouting at it, it was done.  Then I had to get creative to remove the oil filter but so far, so good.

331D82CE-57F4-494F-92D4-63F312B03FB2.jpeg

5570B236-00D5-48D5-9620-7605F9825005.jpeg

D3FAD822-325B-4BE4-81F3-2DC8D0477391.jpeg