Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replace the head unit or fix it?

Got in my 2008 is250 SEL this morning to find that my screen is not working, radio is fine, I just can't use it, I am guessing it is the digitizer, but I am not sure, rather than replace it, I am thinking of getting an android unit, there are a few available for my car which incorporate the rear camera, has anyone got one installed? If so, how are you finding it? Any issues? Any comments very much appreciated. Thank you Paul

Can’t give you any info on any aftermarket android units as it is not something I would ever consider but if you were happy with the OEM unit it can be repaired and is quite easy to remove.

this repair option is on eBay right now if you didn’t want to attempt it yourself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexsu-IS250-IS220-IS350-Navigation-DVD-radio-Touchscreen-Issue-Repair-Service/184184652736?hash=item2ae242c3c0:g:DpUAAOSw3uBZsGWK

note: not me or anyone I know or have used!

I changed my digitizer probably over 6 years ago and still going strong and cost was something like £9 or something round those lines for the digitizer from Hong Kong. Well worth repairing it. If you're doing it yourself just be very careful with the sharp metal frames at the back of the unit, one slip and it will cut you bad. While removing one connector my hand slipped and had a nasty cut that needed stitches lol

Here are some pics from when I installed it

spacer.png

spacer.png

Bit of an update, I think I have electrical gremlins in my car, went to open my boot today, but nothing would work, tried the key fob and the boot release button inside the car, still nothing, I did manage to open it using the key. Did a little research and found out there is a valet button in the glove compartment, pushed that a few times, still nothing! Disconnected the Battery for around 15mins, again still nothing, but on the plus side, my screen started to work again. 

This maybe totally unrelated, but had a dashcam hard wired on Friday and an airbag light issue sorted out, the screen went blank on the way to the auto electrician, so I know the screen issue wasn't down to the work I had done on Friday, could the boot problem be related? This is the first time have tried to get into the boot since Friday, the petrol flap works fine if this helps, any ideas anyone? 

Firstly make sure your Battery is in 100% tip top condition, any doubts then charge fully/replace if more than say 5 years old as a failing Battery can throw up all sorts of seemingly un-connected faults, also having had the dash cam fitted then the interior lights may have been ON during the install unless they disconnected the Battery! And this may have pushed an aging Battery just over the edge!

8 minutes ago, Texas said:

Firstly make sure your battery is in 100% tip top condition, any doubts then charge fully/replace if more than say 5 years old as a failing battery can throw up all sorts of seemingly un-connected faults, also having had the dash cam fitted then the interior lights may have been ON during the install unless they disconnected the battery! And this may have pushed an aging battery just over the edge!

Thanks for your reply,  had the Battery replaced in September 2018, so hopefully it isn't the Battery

There is a sensor in the boot under the carpet on the left hand side next to the spare wheel which controls the remote opening of the boot - check signs of damage or connection is ok - you will need to gain access to the boot to check it tho.

On 3/2/2020 at 6:32 PM, is200 Newbie said:

There is a sensor in the boot under the carpet on the left hand side next to the spare wheel which controls the remote opening of the boot - check signs of damage or connection is ok - you will need to gain access to the boot to check it tho.

Checked the connector in the boot, all looks fine to me, is there a fuse that could have possibly blown, running out of ideas now, anybody else had this problem, which wasn't the valet button issue? Thanks 

21 hours ago, Bongo said:

Checked the connector in the boot, all looks fine to me, is there a fuse that could have possibly blown, running out of ideas now, anybody else had this problem, which wasn't the valet button issue? Thanks 

Have a look in the manual to see if there is another component on the same circuit as the boot sensor and check that is working...