Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fan kicks in a lot with A/C on

I noticed when AC is on the fan kicks in a lot more and even way before the engine temperature is even up to the normal temperature. If I turn AC off, the fan doesn't kick in as frequently and when it does it doesn't stay on as long. With the AC on the fan runs for longer periods too. Can't remember if it's always been like this

On my Mondeo if AC is used then engine fan runs constantly, I guess the theory is that you have AC on because it is hot and as the compressor puts extra load on engine so cooling fan(s) can assist.

So I would only be concerned if it ran with AC off.

Most cars locate the condenser in front of the radiator. The fan serves a dual purpose, to cool the coolant in the radiator and to also cool the condenser.

If the engine isn't up to temperature it doesn't affect the warming up as the thermostat in the cooling system hasn't opened up to allow the coolant to flow through the radiator.

The fan runs to cool the condenser - that's where the gas returns to liquid. Then it goes round to the evaporator where it evaporates back to gas. The latent heat of evaporation keeps you cool (the heat goes from the car into the gas, then from the gas to the air flow from the fan)

That's very simplified but is basically how it works.

Sent from my PSP7551DUO using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links