Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Damp smell in Lexus RX

My Lexus RX interior  smells damp , I have replaced the cabin filter, and checked for obvious leaks etc but cant find anything, does anyone have any ideas please?

Hmm, I'd start by checking the 'dryness' of the cabin floor linings, these are more than capable of soaking up a slight leak.  If you have (or can borrow) a set of simple damp probes (as used by builders and DIYers) they could also assist in determining damp areas.

2 minutes ago, Illogan said:

If you have (or can borrow) a set of simple damp probes (as used by builders and DIYers) they could also assist in determining damp areas.

If you do, careful where you stick them... lots of wires run under footwell carpets! But agree with 'Illogan' press your fingers hard into the footwell carpets under the matts, then give em a smell if you have not already done so.

5 hours ago, Raddoc said:

Check under the auxiliary battery in the boot for standing water. 

I have that problem, happen to know if there is a favourite source of the water?

On 3/1/2020 at 12:30 PM, Mitch1231 said:

My Lexus RX interior  smells damp , I have replaced the cabin filter, and checked for obvious leaks etc but cant find anything, does anyone have any ideas please?

Here's what I have had over 13 years of ownership:

1. Children leaving damp beach stuff hidden in the boot in bags/under cover/under front seats - look carefully!

2. Sunroof leak from not shutting it properly - use a domestic, mains de-humidifier in the car and let it run overnight to suck all the moisture.  Smell went away

3. Past rear accident / bumper damage allegedly allowing tiny amounts of road surface water in - probably only at speed on wet roads.  I never repaired this as advised by Lexus and the smell just went away by itself but I also do much less motorway miles now so maybe water doesn't really get in?

I have a musty smell in mine, but it's in the air conditioning unit. It can be fine and then I switch to recirculate or back, I get a musty smell. I've tried the usual aircon freshener type aerosols and they get rid of it for a little while, but it always comes back after a couple of months.

The tray that catches the condensation from the aircon can get mouldy and it's bu**er to get clean again.

There are videos showing people putting aircon cleaner foam up the condensation drain pipe. I might try that in the summer. 

The standing water under my auxiliary Battery was allegedly due to non-replacement of light cluster and rear bumper seals as part of a crash repair. Unfortunately having had this rectified the water has returned. I have no damp smell as yet, maybe because there is no fabric involved.

Next stop the sunroof drains (or drilling a hole through the floorpan under the Battery for drainage).

Plenty threads on here about water leaks on RX's. I thought the leaky car syndrome was a thing of the past, but these things like to leak. Strategic holes drilled, bungs removed mitigates a flood though. Mine emanated from the rear, and despite sealing lights, body seams etc etc it still does, but it now has somewhere to go lol. Mine was literally soaked from front to rear from a reservoir of water in the boot and came to light on a trip over very hilly roads. I also constructed a small dam between boot and passenger area to stop water sloshing to the front.

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 11:31 AM, Delphius1 said:

I have a musty smell in mine, but it's in the air conditioning unit. It can be fine and then I switch to recirculate or back, I get a musty smell. I've tried the usual aircon freshener type aerosols and they get rid of it for a little while, but it always comes back after a couple of months.

The tray that catches the condensation from the aircon can get mouldy and it's bu**er to get clean again.

There are videos showing people putting aircon cleaner foam up the condensation drain pipe. I might try that in the summer. 

Interesting about the aircon is a problem on its own in most older cars I have ever owned.   The smell can worsen to something akin to a public urinal and has been in a problem in my Ford when I lived in a humid area of the States in the 90s and back in the UK, a 5 series beamer in the early naughties and in my 400h I've has for 14 years.  Yes the spray does work but is expensive and time consuming.    Don't know if someone has cracked it in newer cars (e.g. I have heard something about some cars having a drying fan that stays on after switching car off)  but basically, I learned years ago in my 400H, to switch off the aircon 10-15 mins before you get home on humid, hot days.  This gives the unit time to dry rather than the moisture festering.  If I forget (or the Mrs more likely), I also put the heater on max and max fan yes on a hot day just to dry it out.    Since doing this consistently, I've never had the smelly aircon problem.     

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links