Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How long do TPMS batteries last - has anyone had to replace them?

I've been trying to find out how long the batteries should last in the tyre valve sensors for the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). I've seen various suggestions on the internet; five to 10 years, up to around 100,000 miles. I've also read that motorway use at constant speeds makes less use of the sensors than stop-start town driving, so the batteries last longer with a lot of motorway driving.

Has anyone had to replace the batteries and if so how old were they (the Battery, not the driver) when they needed replacing?

1 hour ago, Jayw13702 said:

Mine have done 145,000 miles and currently show no signs of giving trouble.

That sounds pretty good. If your car is 2014 then it looks like a lot of motorway miles - around 24,000 miles a year. So maybe there's something in the theory that there's less demand on the tpms batteries at sustained speeds.

I had an early calculator from the 1970s whose Battery was still working after over 40 years. So depending on the type of Battery perhaps there's no reason to expect them to fail very quickly.

Maybe there haven't been any failures on the current IS model as no-one has said they've needed to replace them yet.

I suppose they're standard Toyota sensors.

I don't think that mileage is the limiting factor. The power taken by the TPMS sensors in the tyre valves is very small, approximating to the self-dischage rate of the cells. They typically last about 10 years at normal temperatures.

4 hours ago, Thackeray said:

Has anyone had to replace the batteries and if so how old were they (the battery, not the driver) when they needed replacing?

looking at the image below it looks like the sensors are resin filled and use solder tab batteries

so replacement sensor is probably the answer.

tpms sensor.jpg