Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 annoying wind noise solved

Ever since I bought my 96 LS400 last year there has been an annoying wind/road noise from the near side rear passenger area, just like the window is opened slightly. The window was fully closed so I was a bit baffled and was thinking maybe there is a hole in the wheel arch or something but I checked this and couldn't find anything. Possibly the weather strip/s on the door was causing it but I also checked this and couldn't see anything wrong. But...........................I found what was causing the issue. Bear with this because it will make sense at the end🙂

On Monday I took my mum and dad to visit my cousin, my mum was in the back of the car in the near side seat (the area with the wind/road noise). When I arrived back home I opened the rear passenger door for my mum to get put as it was pretty windy etc. While I had the door open I noticed that the rubber weather strip that runs around the top 'rail' for both doors (not the door rubber seal) had a gap of about 2 inches at the bottom rh side like the strip had moved forward. Once my mum was out the car I opened both passenger side doors and moved/slid the rubber weather strip back towards the rear to where it should be and it covered the gap. At the end of the rubber weather strip there is piece of rubber that keeps the strip in place but this had detached a bit. B4 and after pictures are below. Next morning I drove to work and the 'annoying wind/road noise from the near side rear passenger area' had gone.  If it starts moving again I'll put a small blob of CT1 or something to hold it in place. I am so glad it has solved the issue because it was really really niggling me!! Obviously I hadn't noticed before, even when I washed the car along with the door jams etc. This maybe a complete one off issue on my car but just thought I'd post it in case someone else has a similar issue. 

B4

door_seal_b4.jpg

After

door_seal_after.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Not a one off, I had the same on Mk3, cannot remember if it was exaclty the issue, but certainly the seal had crept, and was easy to put back and cure the whine.

The one downside of the fix and having a quieter cabin, was I then noticed at 65-70mph a slight drone from the engine bay (not much but enought to annoy), which was just one of those noises you get in any car at a certain speed in a certain gear.  Lucklily the Mk4 does not produce any such droning noises (at legal speeds!!)

55 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

The one downside of the fix and having a quieter cabin, was I then noticed at 65-70mph a slight drone from the engine bay (not much but enought to annoy),

Yep, the cabin is a lot quieter now and it's as quiet as I expect it to be (if that makes sense). I'll listen out for the slight drone. I also have an annoying rattle which I can't pin down, it may be coming from the glove box area. I dismantled the lower and upper glove boxes to remove the ECU. Maybe I didn't fix things back in properly, I don't remember hearing the rattle before I removed them but there were other noises at the time that I was concentrating on i.e. front suspension clunking etc. I'll be changing the ECU at some point so will leave the gloves boxes off and see if it goes. I've also read that the sunroof deflector can cause a rattle so will have a look. When I open the sunroof far enough for the deflector to pop up the noise seems to go but there is wind noise because the sunroof is open and I may not be able to hear it then anyway. The weird thing is the rattle seems to come from different areas depending on where you are sat and where your head is positioned. I'll get to the bottom of it at some point though..................probably by accident doing something else!!  

3 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

rattle

I am getting rattles from driver window (now and again), and in rear part of cabin (but they stop when I have passengers in rear), but never with sunroof (I use my a lot in the summer).

Also from experience with other cars, I have always found fiddling in a major way with anything as part of the dashboard is a pain, as always ended up with a squeak or a rattle that was not there before.

I would add annoying though the rattles may be on a car that has now done 207,000 is not bad, given in past any car I took over 100,000 would be rattling like a bag of marbles at a school boys games afternoon.

2 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

am getting rattles from driver window (now and again), and in rear part of cabin (but they stop when I have passengers in rear),

Mine seems to be the opposite, when passengers are in the rear I notice it more but that's probably because the radio is very low or completely off. But, as you say, for a 24 year old car it's not bad at all really but it is annoying...........................I'll find the culprit eventually!

5 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

fiddling in a major way with anything as part of the dashboard is a pain, as always ended up with a squeak or a rattle that was not there before

this is also true, I knew this but still did it and the ECU was pristine anyway so went back in.

Excellent thread. Well spotted. I'm having some issues with the door rubbers on my GS. It hadn't ocurred to me that they might have shifted. I'll have a look.

4 hours ago, Wisemonkey said:

I use Autoglym Rubber care on all the rubber seals

Another product is 'Gummi Pflege Rubber Care Stick' which does the same thing and it's supposed to help stop the doors freezing shut in winter. I've used it for a long time.

Glad to hear some Autoglynm RC on its way John and the Gummi RC as an alternative. Just used the Autoglym RC on the seals on the hood of a new to us car. On way home annoying noise emanating from the front of the passenger side. Autoglym RC used all round now quiet as a mouse.

When I first got the LS 400 water was getting in through the boot seal, new seal ordered off eBay, fitted and no more water ingress issues. My guess is the intergrity of the original seal if somebody had looked after it better would still be functioning now. I bet the door selas on these cars cost a pile. Best to look after them.

Gummi Pflege is good but try and get the liquid rather than the push up stick. In this weather the product doesn't break down onto the rubber as well because it's just too cold.

49 minutes ago, Wisemonkey said:

John,👍 I spray it on a cloth then rub into the seal, back and front and in the groove's if there are any.

I`ve just come in from the car Simon. After messing about for 10 minutes I had the bright idea of spraying it onto a cloth and then rubbing it in !!

Thanks Simon- I got there in the end.

• 1 month later...

Read this thread a few weeks back and thought to myself I better check this....when I was out at the car today it popped into my head...and low and behold the same had happened. Thanks @Razor61 Fixed up now, will keep an eye on it.

20200413_105834.thumb.jpg.7090b7b73f3fc76d5ea96cccc724b329.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links