Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How to remove drive mode selector/knob

Hi guys,

I am vinyl wrapping centre console and want to do the section where drive mode knob is.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

I have undone all screws and it nearly come off but gets stuck when I try to push it through.

Its circumference/diameter on the top is slightly larger than the whole.

Do you know how to proceed now?

I think if I push it harder something will snap or break....

Regards

Bart

20200304_034148_copy_453x604.jpg

20200304_034124_copy_453x339.jpg

20200304_034211_copy_453x604.jpg

I have been struggling today with the same issue, and come to the conclusion that you cannot take it apart.
I ended up cutting the vinyl with the knob still in place, it took me a few attempts but finally I got it done to a standard i was happy with

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

a while ago someone on the forum had the brushed finished top missiing

so this is a cap that comes off then maybe a screw holding the dial on

11 minutes ago, Shada said:

Your trim looks badly worn before covering. Is there a reason for this? 

Hey Shada,

It was badly wrapped up by the previous owner. When I peeled of old vinyl it came off with the paint. 

I'm waiting for a delivery of some more vinyl as I also want to wrap up other bits and pieces.

I'll post a picture when it's all done.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/8/2020 at 4:29 PM, Lexus Owner Senthu said:

Anyone know where I can buy a cap like this?

I would like to know as well if anyone managed to find one. Scoured the internet including ali express but just cant seem to find one. Mine is badly scratched and needs replacement. For now i have temporarily covered it up with a domed gel sticker  thats better to look at than a scratched knob. 

54 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

Looks great. Did you need a heat gun? Or do you just stick it on? In the past if i did it without a heat gun the wrap starts to peel / lift up eventually. 

13 minutes ago, Notamech said:

Looks great. Did you need a heat gun? Or do you just stick it on? In the past if i did it without a heat gun the wrap starts to peel / lift up eventually. 

Hair dryer 🙂

17 hours ago, agent_dess said:

Hair dryer 🙂

Aah ofcourse. Will try that. I got some fake leather wrap as i managed to damage one of the door panels and plan to do that up. Will try that wrap on the knob and see how it goes. Does the knob pop off easily with the usual plastic trim removal tools?or do i need to pry it off with a really thin screwdriver? The kind they use for watches? 

8 hours ago, Notamech said:

Aah ofcourse. Will try that. I got some fake leather wrap as i managed to damage one of the door panels and plan to do that up. Will try that wrap on the knob and see how it goes. Does the knob pop off easily with the usual plastic trim removal tools?or do i need to pry it off with a really thin screwdriver? The kind they use for watches? 

Anything thin like a scalpel blade to slide it in and pop it, Stanley blade will work too.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2023 at 10:49 PM, agent_dess said:

Anything thin like a scalpel blade to slide it in and pop it, Stanley blade will work too.

Thanks so much guys. Finally did it today. Just popped it out with my nail. It came off quite easily didn't need to struggle or release each clip at a time. There were two pieces that came out one was a silver ring and the other was the cap. All wrapped and now no more ugly scratches. 

20230123_114332.jpg

20230123_114337.jpg

20230123_114632.jpg

• Like 1