Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400h Clunking noise from Rear O/S

Some thoughts from the assembled expertise would be welcome.

2008 Rx400h with 97,000 miles, always regularly maintained. Noticed a "clunking noise" emanating from the rear offside wheel area yesterday, Characteristics are as follows.

Only makes a noise when vehicle is coasting on the over run

Frequency of the noise is speed related so it is obviously related to the rotation of the wheel

No noise when accelerating or driving normally

While on over run the noise stops as soon as brake are operated, even lightly

New callipers, discs, pads, parking brake shoes and parking brake cables were fitted around 15 months ago.

All thoughts are welcome before I start taking things apart .

I'd second Peter's diagnosis. The RX is very hard on the anti roll bars and drop links. The bushes and the linkages wear out quite quickly. 

The rear anti roll bar bushes are easily accessible at the rear of the car and are easily replaced. The drop links again are an easy DIY job, you just need to remove the rear wheel to get access.

The parts are cheap. I got my roll bar bushes for about a tenner.

• Like 1

I trust wheel nuts correctly torqued.  Have to confess I forgot to do this once after only lightly tightening before lowering car.  Another time traced a speed related sound to a stud collected in a tyre.  Another time on my Camry I sometimes got a clicking sound at times, particularity when applying more lock.  It transpired that when garage fitted new anti roll bar bushes the clamps had not been tightened allowing movement between clamp and frame.

Let us know when problem found - it could be other things, as we can all learn through other's problems.   

• Like 1

Problem solved---although I don't know what the problem was. Have gone for a couple of drives this morning and the noise from the rear offside has disappeared. I have come to the conclusion that it may have been a piece of debris that was somehow lodged in the wheel/brake area.

Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions

Good news (especially as it sorted itself and no cost involved!)  I did consider posting a well known problem on my E39 BMW in a similar vein where due to the design of the back plates stones tend to get caught up and produce rattling sounds at times.  The stones can be dislodged by compressed air or by finding a near empty car park and accelerating backwards sharply and then braking hard which ejects them.  The latter worked for me.  I don't know if this problem might also apply to the RX so didn't mention it previously but in view of your experience is perhaps another possibility to bear in mind for owners.

On 3/5/2020 at 9:04 AM, Delphius1 said:

The rear anti roll bar bushes are easily accessible at the rear of the car and are easily replaced. 

In theory, yes. Unfortunately, my bolts were so rusted that I had to drill them out.  😕