Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noisy ventilation fan

Morning All, Recently the ventilation fan has become noticeably noisy. The motor/fan starts to whine soon after the engine has started and depending on the engine noise can be heard over the engine, it is more of an annoyance than anything major. When the car stops the fan slows down and the noise stops. If I switch the fan off then no noise is heard.

Also, the side windows are not demisting properly so it would seem that the two are linked.

Any advise or guidance would be appreciated.

21 minutes ago, Cook said:

Morning All, Recently the ventilation fan has become noticeably noisy. The motor/fan starts to whine soon after the engine has started and depending on the engine noise can be heard over the engine, it is more of an annoyance than anything major. When the car stops the fan slows down and the noise stops. If I switch the fan off then no noise is heard.

Also, the side windows are not demisting properly so it would seem that the two are linked.

Welcome Graham.

If you have an Extended Warranty, take the problems to your Lexus Dealer.

If you do not, then otherrs will be along soon to advise you.

Hello Graham, I have a 2010 RX450 and occasionally, when the engine is fully warmed up, the fan seems a bit wheezy. I've managed to extend the warranty till December 2021 and will keep an eye on it. Also, noticed the misting problem in recent poor weather. From what I can gather the warranty company prefer the item to fail completely, wearing out would appear to be fair wear and tear. Hoping it's resolved before December 21! I'll watch this thread with interest. 

• Like 1

Welcome, Graham!  I’ve not owned your series of RX, as we had the earlier 300 a few years ago. But in view of the misting issue, I wonder if the Inlet air filter has got blocked or water ingress?  Any leaves accumulated under the bonnet/hood?

They’re normally a service item, and I’m sure any Lexus dealer would take a quick look for you, and replace if necessary. 

Hello Graham, I have booked my RX450 (2010) in to have a look at the aircon. A few weeks ago i noticed an escape of vapour from the central air vent. Put it down to atmospherics but have noticed interior misting up. Now suspect it was the R134 AC gas possibly escaping. I'll update you when I hear back, it goes in on the 23rd March. 

On 3/5/2020 at 9:08 AM, Cook said:

Have you made any progress, Graham?

we had a similar noise in our 2016 Rx450h .... it turned out to the cooling fan on the multimedia box  (nothing to do with car ventilation) .

Luckily wasn't long after we got it, so they fixed it under warranty .. they replaced the whole unit, so dread to think of the cost if we had to pay!

Just picked up car from Lexus, they spent a bit of time on it and no codes at all apparently. Decided it was just a regas issue, last done 2 years ago December 2017.. I've to bring it back if any more issues. Fan has gone quiet! Like a nagging tooth at the dentist. 

Just like to add the service at Lexus Glasgow was as superb as ever despite the Covid procedures they are carrying out. Car was fully sanitised before and after work, clean as ever and their charge for an hours labour and a regas at £114 excellent.  Brilliant garage, really helpful and pleasant people to deal with.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links