Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Luxury or Premier NX? Age or extras?

Hi There

Need to see what the consensus is here .....

I'm looking to change from a 2011 RX450H SE-L which we have been really happy with all round, to an NX but can decide on a Luxury or Premier.  So my question is should I opt for:

• A 2016/17 NX Luxury 
  • Slightly older NX Premier

Both with same sort of mileage.

So question really is age over gadgets/functions, coming from an RX.   

Thank you in anticipation of your comments.

• Like 1

The comfort of your choice is paramount. 

I wanted to replace my 2015 GS300h with an NX. The one I test drove nearly crippled me in 10 miles and I aborted the drive. That was a first generation NX. 

I bought a 2015 RX450h Advance which was superbly comfortable as is my 2017 version. 

So to answer your question I would choose the car based on ride comfort over specification that fits your budget. 

Whatever you decide make sure you get a good long test drive. 

Good Luck 

I do not think the electronic adjustable lumber support is standard on the luxury. I have it on my f-sport and it does make a difference. An extended test drive is the order of the day To ensure you comfortable with the seating on any car.

3 hours ago, Eggie said:

I do not think the electronic adjustable lumber support is standard on the luxury. I have it on my f-sport and it does make a difference. An extended test drive is the order of the day To ensure you comfortable with the seating on any car.

^^ My Luxury doesn't have lumbar, but that doesn't bother me as I find the car supremely comfortable. Every passenger I've had concurs.

There have been (I think) two or three members with comfort issues in the NX, but they are the minority. Media generally comment on the comfort levels too. I have a disability affecting hips, lower back, knees and ankles so comfort and access is VERY important to me and the NX just works. In comparison, the RX doesn't work for me as the seat/wheel/pedal distance combination is too great, so a good test drive is essential as others have noted in order to align with your personal circumstances.

I would always go for the newest car with lowest mileage rather than buying on spec, most of which is pretty superficial. I don't even use a lot of what's on the Luxury! I can live without an automated tailgate and heads up display, but if such things are important to you, then the choice is easier.

Good luck...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eggie said:

I agree that an extended test drive is a must. Regarding seat comfort I am extremely happy with my 2018MY NX Luxury - possibly the most comfortable car that I have owned and that includes Merc and Volvos. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

blockquote widget

10 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

^In comparison, the RX doesn't work for me as the seat/wheel/pedal distance combination is too great, so a good test drive is essential as others have noted in order to align with your personal circumstances.

The later RX450h has been modified to bring the wheel closer to the drivers seat. 

19 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

blockquote widget

The later RX450h has been modified to bring the wheel closer to the drivers seat. 

^^ My issue was with two versions of the current model RX450h over a three month period last year. I've never driven any of the previous versions.

You really need to compare the spec sheets of both models to decide whether you are willing to compromise.

Another important factor to consider is that, based on your original entry, your budget might afford you a pre-facelift Premier... or a facelifted Luxury. The facelifted version has additional spec, including a newer, wide screen satnav. This wide screen satnav may soon be eligible to be retrofitted with apple Carplay / Android Auto. Worth checking with the dealer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I  decided on the Luxury when i bought my NX after a  initial test drive.

The car was 6 months old with 12,000 miles on the clock but as i am now retired and do around only 5,000 p.a. this was not a problem.

It was not however a Lexus Fleet Car but the Service Managers car at Lexus Exeter and came with almost every goody added., which I found after some time looking for a "garage own car" as I knew they do tend to "dress" them to sell others

Price was good due to "High Mileage" about £4000 less than others of same age with 5000 on the clock but three years later it has now 26,000 on the clock so well below average.  Only thing I would say was a niggle to me was setting the SatNav with that dam wheel instead of the touch pad. 

Didnt bother with all the add-on's they wanted to sell me except the Service contract which is about to run out and i will renew with Lexus Bristol who have been great.

• Like 4

On 3/5/2020 at 11:24 AM, MarkLots said:

Hi There

Need to see what the consensus is here .....

I'm looking to change from a 2011 RX450H SE-L which we have been really happy with all round, to an NX but can decide on a Luxury or Premier.  So my question is should I opt for:

• A 2016/17 NX Luxury 
  • Slightly older NX Premier

Both with same sort of mileage.

So question really is age over gadgets/functions, coming from an RX.   

Thank you in anticipation of your comments.

Hi there,
If you have settled on a NX then maybe go for the Premier so that you get all the gadgets etc (and take advantage of cheaper tax than say a new one hehe)
My mum drives a 2014 IS 300h premier and it has alot of gadgets on it 🙂
However, I had a 2020 RX loaner today and the RX rides unparalleled in comparison to others in range as it is very soft and comfortable 🙂

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ThomasD94 said:

Hi there,
If you have settled on a NX then maybe go for the Premier so that you get all the gadgets etc (and take advantage of cheaper tax than say a new one hehe)
My mum drives a 2014 IS 300h premier and it has alot of gadgets on it 🙂
However, I had a 2020 RX loaner today and the RX rides unparalleled in comparison to others in range as it is very soft and comfortable 🙂

@ThomasD94

Do you mean you had an NX loan car rather than an RX? Or did you have an RX as well as the NX?

• 11 months later...

Oldish post so I hope you’re enjoying your car. My simple rule, go for the highest spec. After 3 months the luxury will no longer be a new car but the premier will still have ML sound, the great HUD and the 360 cameras.

Oh for the early Lexus days, when I bought my LS400 in 93 there was only the one model so no choice, and it came with Lexus Club.

Such a personal thing this. You just have to decide what is important to you- age or spec. I tend to go for mileage and condition rather than age. I’d then for a higher spec if choosing between two or more of similar mileage and condition. Doubt I’d go below a Luxury. Doubt I’d go for an F-Sport because to my ears and backside an F-Sport is worse. Such a personal choice though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Such a personal thing this. You just have to decide what is important to you- age or spec. I tend to go for mileage and condition rather than age. I’d then for a higher spec if choosing between two or more of similar mileage and condition. Doubt I’d go below a Luxury. Doubt I’d go for an F-Sport because to my ears and backside an F-Sport is worse. Such a personal choice though.

It also depends on whether you think the extra ‘goodies’ are worth it. Some will, some won’t. I’d always go for age and condition over spec personally. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

It also depends on whether you think the extra ‘goodies’ are worth it. Some will, some won’t. I’d always go for age and condition over spec personally. 

Yep this too