Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Setting Exhaust valves to Open

Pritchard

hi,

ive spent ages googling, forum search, and what not. but it seems a massively eluded subjec,t unless 'exhaust valve, solenoid, valvetronic, exhaust baffle vale' are all the wrong searches....

without shelling out a nice £5,000 for an armytrix exhaust, i want to be able to open my exhaust valve (not the ones in the engine!). 
theres a post on US side where someone said that there are several input sources (data/signal wise) which means you cant just pull a fuse or add a switch. 

They also said that the Sport+ model will allow the valve ot be open all the time - nope. theres still a clear noise openening of the valves at 3800-4000rpm. 
i havent seen anyone who has replaced their exhaust entirely complain about any CEL (engine warning) lights. so, is it not possilbe to unplug the feed to the exhaust solenoids to keep them open all the time? I say always open - as in case i am wrong, when the engine is switched on, the valves are open for the first few seconds. so that is either the Default position, or they open initially when Ignition is triggered.

Thoghts?

side note - there never seem to be any meets scheduled on this forum. you must meet up? do you do it over facebook or something instead?

thanks

I thought there was a thread on the USA forum for 2018LC where the owner shows unplugging the wires on the two electronic valves on the exhaust near the rear of the car.This must be done whilst the engine is off which is default open valve position.He claimed it produced the desired effect with no bad warning lights.

My feeling is that with a post September 2018 reg car,I have the dreaded OPF filter which reduces exhaust emissions and noise and is mandatory.Certainly the YouTube films from America seem to produce a more raucous response than I have experienced thus far .The exhaust on my M2 Competition sounded terrible compared with earlier versions of the same engine.An aftermarket ,louder exhaust would be non compliant if you went for MOT and maybe will affect warranty.It certainly will with Porsche.

ah exhaust 'flaps' thats what they call it.

ah bingo too - yes thats exactly what i was after. i'll give them an unplug tonight. : ) 

ill try to get a before / after video too if i can from a cold start..

i did do another driving test last night - driving mode (i.e, switching from Normal or Comfort into Sport+) makes absolute ZERO affect on that opening below 3800rpm. regardless of mode, it doesnt open until then. easiest test is with cruise control and a clear motoway. easy to manipulate progressive acceleration in a particular gear and drive mode. you can hear it open at the same point in every mode.

thanks for finding that post on US side. i am now itching to get home!! : )

Soooo much better!! it worked.

very little difference at idle. unless you stand behind the car, bit more noticable.
over 4000rpm, of course no change.
and under about 1800rpm, about the same under normal gentle foot. so motoway driving hasnt changed.

ah but, 2000-4000rpm!! so much better! now i can hear my exhaust when driving through town, or a carpark at sensible engine speeds. and you can really hear it when giving it a little welly (but not enough for a kick-down).

want an aftermarket one now....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad it worked.Assume you taped the cables up ,away from anything hot.

Main thing is,there were no flashing lights or dash warnings indicating an ecu issue.

Bye the way,what mileage are you on as your car must be similar age to mine.

A J.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I’m picking my LC S+ up in about a week, and this sounds like a proper good wheeze, I don’t like having to drive v8/v12 cars artificially hard to get the satisfaction of the exhaust tone.

Better for fuel consumption and the environment too if you can drive in a higher gear  😉

How does this affect (if at all) the length of the cold startup blare?  I’m somewhat sympathetic of my neighbours if I ever have to go first thing in the morning.

I have been tempted to do this but so far have chosen not to as the car sounds good to me as stock. Havent seen any posts by the op for a long time but would be good to get an update if he is still on the forum.

By the way,where did you get the LC you are collecting? Always good to see additional cars joining the forum.

Enjoy your purchase.

A J.

There is a main dealer one in Canterbury and one at Kent Motor Co.Both look like mine except mine is a Sport .Only external visual difference is the rear retracting spoiler.

Look forward to hearing your views when you get it.

A J.

56 minutes ago, Arth_Vader said:

It’s the white one that’s advertised in Kent, a bit like yours I believe?

I was perving at that..... If you end up tweaking the exhausts like the OP please share a before and after.

• Like 1

It’s the KMC one, not Canterbury 17 plate which has just popped up with 45k miles, I will defer judgement on the exhaust valves for now, I drove an LC once and it was plenty loud just pottering about.

Car seat question -  I had a Lexus salesman  go in the back with the front seat a bit forward, and my son has been clambering all over the interior of the Lexus Hatfield demo.  For short journeys I want to carry my (rather short) wife in the front and toddler in the back.  Anyone got any experience of/recommendation for a toddler car seat

1. for the back (wife in front, toddler in back))

2 for the front? (No wife, son in front  for morning nursery run or just daddy and son fun)

Many thanks to any recommendations from other 500 daddies 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Yes, mine arrived today (based in UK) and managed to install in about 30 mins. I need to do some DB readings but there is a noticeable difference open or closed. Certainly will be less annoying for my neighbours should I have an early morning departure.