Pritchard

Setting Exhaust valves to Open

hi,

ive spent ages googling, forum search, and what not. but it seems a massively eluded subjec,t unless 'exhaust valve, solenoid, valvetronic, exhaust baffle vale' are all the wrong searches....

without shelling out a nice £5,000 for an armytrix exhaust, i want to be able to open my exhaust valve (not the ones in the engine!). 
theres a post on US side where someone said that there are several input sources (data/signal wise) which means you cant just pull a fuse or add a switch. 

They also said that the Sport+ model will allow the valve ot be open all the time - nope. theres still a clear noise openening of the valves at 3800-4000rpm. 
i havent seen anyone who has replaced their exhaust entirely complain about any CEL (engine warning) lights. so, is it not possilbe to unplug the feed to the exhaust solenoids to keep them open all the time? I say always open - as in case i am wrong, when the engine is switched on, the valves are open for the first few seconds. so that is either the Default position, or they open initially when Ignition is triggered.

Thoghts?

side note - there never seem to be any meets scheduled on this forum. you must meet up? do you do it over facebook or something instead?

thanks

Not sure if the same thing but don't some RC-F owners plug an air sampling pipe in the intake box to force more 'noise'?

Re meets, check this out

• Like 1

Can the exhaust valves be set to "open" via Techstream? BTW, did you try searching for "exhaust flaps"?

I thought there was a thread on the USA forum for 2018LC where the owner shows unplugging the wires on the two electronic valves on the exhaust near the rear of the car.This must be done whilst the engine is off which is default open valve position.He claimed it produced the desired effect with no bad warning lights.

My feeling is that with a post September 2018 reg car,I have the dreaded OPF filter which reduces exhaust emissions and noise and is mandatory.Certainly the YouTube films from America seem to produce a more raucous response than I have experienced thus far .The exhaust on my M2 Competition sounded terrible compared with earlier versions of the same engine.An aftermarket ,louder exhaust would be non compliant if you went for MOT and maybe will affect warranty.It certainly will with Porsche.

ah exhaust 'flaps' thats what they call it.

ah bingo too - yes thats exactly what i was after. i'll give them an unplug tonight. : ) 

ill try to get a before / after video too if i can from a cold start..

i did do another driving test last night - driving mode (i.e, switching from Normal or Comfort into Sport+) makes absolute ZERO affect on that opening below 3800rpm. regardless of mode, it doesnt open until then. easiest test is with cruise control and a clear motoway. easy to manipulate progressive acceleration in a particular gear and drive mode. you can hear it open at the same point in every mode.

thanks for finding that post on US side. i am now itching to get home!! : )

Soooo much better!! it worked.

very little difference at idle. unless you stand behind the car, bit more noticable.
over 4000rpm, of course no change.
and under about 1800rpm, about the same under normal gentle foot. so motoway driving hasnt changed.

ah but, 2000-4000rpm!! so much better! now i can hear my exhaust when driving through town, or a carpark at sensible engine speeds. and you can really hear it when giving it a little welly (but not enough for a kick-down).

want an aftermarket one now....

Glad it worked.Assume you taped the cables up ,away from anything hot.

Main thing is,there were no flashing lights or dash warnings indicating an ecu issue.

Bye the way,what mileage are you on as your car must be similar age to mine.

A J.

13k miles. yep taped up and secured. no ecu lights. no other noticeable change in driving. all good.

I've still not seen any clips of this, do you mind putting something on YouTube?

Thanks